Dean Smith

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So what? What does Leeds doing well have to do with us?

Sheff Utd did well last year. Wolves did well when they first came up. 

Because it's frustrating to see a team that has very few players proven at this level do so well - and disproves the theory that it's solely the players' fault we've fallen off a cliff. 

Shame the season had to end on such a sour note with our form falling off a cliff after a bright first third of the season. Personally I was expecting it and Grealish getting injured sealed it so I try to not go overboard with the critique.

Still sad that the mood when the season ends will be much worse compared to last year even thou this season has been a extraordinary improvement in every way. All because the results in they run in.

A positive spin on it I guess will be that everyone involved at the club will know that there is much work to be done in the summer. We probably gotta improve just to stand still and if we want to move up the table we need some key signings and tweaking to our tactics and set up.

• Like 1

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

Because it's frustrating to see a team that has very few players proven at this level do so well - and disproves the theory that it's solely the players' fault we've fallen off a cliff. 

So did Sheff utd last season.

One team having a good season doesn't disprove anything. 

Losing Mings and Cash is a pretty big deal, Hause didn't do badly but we look a different side without them, as soon as Palace pressed us we fell apart.

People rightly wanted Ross out of the team, but sadly Ramsey hasn't been the answer but it's hard to criticise Dean for giving him a chance. The Barkley experiment hasn't worked but it look a good move at the time, again Dean can't be blamed.

But... Dean can certainly be blamed for the passive second half performance today, where we were beaten by a team who simply 'wanted it a bit more' they went up a gear and we went on holiday.

Anwar was probably the best attacking player we had out there today, sticking him on the right an Grealish on the left, then sticking on Davis and Wes ultimately killed the game for us. MgGinn was superb in his first half but out on his legs on the hour mark, yet still wasn't subbed.

The ref was terrible, giving Ollie virtually nothing when he was fouled all the time.

The issue is the second half of the season has been made up of these types of performances, I've lost track of how many times we have let leads slip.

We've come along way, but we are starting to go backwards.

• Like 2

Just now, sne said:

Shame the season had to end on such a sour note with our form falling off a cliff after a bright first third of the season. Personally I was expecting it and Grealish getting injured sealed it so I try to not go overboard with the critique.

Still sad that the mood when the season ends will be much worse compared to last year even thou this season has been a extraordinary improvement in every way. All because the results in they run in.

A positive spin on it I guess will be that everyone involved at the club will know that there is much work to be done in the summer. We probably gotta improve just to stand still and if we want to move up the table we need some key signings and tweaking to our tactics and set up.

Really?

I think that would be crazy. We are in such a good place and I'm confident our summer signings will be a huge boost. 

How many players do we have that are proven at this level? Only Heaton, Elmo and Taylor have played 100 games at this level

Leeds signed 2 Spanish internationals and a German international last summer plus one of Europe hottest prospects

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

when we were winning you would post stuff like Happy Monday or something similar. Now we are losing its having a go at youngsters like Ramsey

not really supporting the club through thick and thin ;) 

Oh come off it zatman

If im happy with a win you prefer me to say 'we won but we stilm shit or smiths shit?'

Im obviously going to be happy if we win a game.

As i am when i see shit shows like today which was all on smith

As for Ramsey was given a opportunity but failed to take.  Like ive said he needs a loan move not ready for this level yet

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Who ?  - I know everyone is raving about the U18s - but I really don't think they are physically ready yet. 

Chuck has a mans body he needs some minutes.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

No one would back against Smith winning the last two that will turn this around and set us up beautifully for next season

Anyone thinking we will get something from Spurs and Chelsea, are smoking something i want some of.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't care about Nuno. Think he is an overrated coach and play a horrible brand of football.

Owners need to be smart about this.

Wait till someone like Pochettino becomes available and do not wait with approaching him.

This is villas problem in a nutshell 

You have no idea of where we are as a club or what we're doing but will no doubt claim that we have rich and ambitious owners

Go get Poch... Behave

We are a million miles away, football has moved on, there are too many villa fans who haven't moved with it 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Really?

I think that would be crazy. We are in such a good place and I'm confident our summer signings will be a huge boost. 

I know you are currently reading this thread and sensing what the mood is so I don't get how you can be surprised by that idea.

20 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

This is what I don’t get. If we swapped places with Leeds to finish one place higher would this suddenly be some great season?

We’ve shown great progress from last season regardless of finishing below another team who have also had a great season against their expectations.

The fixation with Leeds on here is more annoying to me than the invasion of Leeds fans when they win a game of football.

To be fair I think it’s more a comparison with what they did in their first season in the Premier League compared to what we did. Now we’re in our second season after spending over 200m and we still can’t out do their first season back.

It’s no shame to admit their manager has done better than ours. I still don’t want to change manager at this stage but the pressure will be on Dean next season. 

• Like 2

Just now, sne said:

I know you are currently reading this thread and sensing what the mood is so I don't get how you can be surprised by that idea.

Oh I know a handful will be moaning regardless. But I'll be very surprised if on the whole villa fans are feeling more down that last year. I was on a high but also in the back of my mind, still worried if we'd be in a relegation battle again. 

There is zero worry this summer. We will build again and if Smith doesn't deliver then with our owners, I've no doubt we will attract another good manager. 

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

How many players do we have that are proven at this level? Only Heaton, Elmo and Taylor have played 100 games at this level

Leeds signed 2 Spanish internationals and a German international last summer plus one of Europe hottest prospects

Exactly, and we barely survived relegation in our first season and I recall the fans not willing to criticise the manager saying it was we didn't have proven players at this level. I'm just throwing that argument back in relation to Leeds.

One of the Spanish internationals you mention hasn't started a game for ages (Rodrigo) and the other one (Llroente) has been injured most of the season. Koch doesn't really play any more. So those players are not the reason they are where they are. It's players like Dallas, Alioski, Bamford, Harrison all delivering consistently good performances despite having very little PL experience. Raphinha has been a great signing for sure. 

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

To be fair I think it’s more a comparison with what they did in their first season in the Premier League compared to what we did. Now we’re in our second season after spending over 200m and we still can’t out do their first season back.

It’s no shame to admit their manager has done better than ours. I still don’t want to change manager at this stage but the pressure will be on Dean next season. 

It's very different situations though. The only similarity is that we were both promoted. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

If that’s true we have been on the beach since Christmas because the level of performance has been consistent since then. That has to sit with the manager.

Probably, IMHO it's never the manager or the players or any single entity - it's just AVFC on the day. we are going in the right direction and I'm happy - regardless of the result - but I appreciate others feel differently. 

Exactly, and we barely survived relegation in our first season and I recall the fans not willing to criticise the manager saying it was we didn't have proven players at this level. I'm just throwing that argument back in relation to Leeds.

One of the Spanish internationals you mention hasn't started a game for ages (Rodrigo) and the other one (Llroente) has been injured most of the season. Koch doesn't really play any more. So those players are not the reason they are where they are. It's players like Dallas, Alioski, Bamford, Harrison all delivering consistently good performances despite having very little PL experience. Raphinha has been a great signing for sure. 

It's not unusual for a team to really over achieve.

When Leicester won the league, do you think midtable teams were moaning because they weren't in a title challenge.  

Â