Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, tomav84 said:

I'm Smith in...but he's mentioned top half being the target a few times, so this season he has actually not met his objective barring a miracle 

Well that might be his personal target. I doubt the owners told him top half or failure. And ultimately its going to be a few points difference. 

He got us up, he kept us up and he's progressed us up the table. 

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Haha it was a couple of weeks ago, don't try and convince yourself differently. Because most fans have some perspective and don't stamp their feet like spoilt kids. 

Your turning into a proper keyboard warrior mate. How the hell do you know, my reactions, stamping feet, Spoilt kid??? There you go again being personal to try justify your opinions. 

I am just frustrated at the football since January like many other fans on here. Change the manager, no way, give him till Christmas and a few signings to see if he can turn it around, if not maybe we will be forced into trying something new. Jack's missing has been the big issue if we can all admit it, but also the losing run is on the players and the manager 50/50 if I'm being balanced.

An the winning streak wasn't a couple of weeks ago??

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Mantis said:

It often is though.

Well that's very different. If you said, his in game management can be diabolical, I still might not agree, but I can see some merit to it. 

You just claimed his in game management is diabolical. Which is ridiculously OTT. 

I said Smith should have walked after the Everton draw last season, I was hurting and emotional, and to their credit, rescued it, with an incredible turnaround. I will always have critiques. Smith has always struck me as a father figure for many key players, someone keen to learn. For someone who is only in his second full Premier League season, he doesn’t look out of depth, at all. Shakespeare also is a great influence. 

The scale of the rebuild required is I feel lost on people. Under Bruce and the clownish ownership of Xia, we had a squad heavy in loans and age. 

The relics of that Championship squad are still with us, some have and have not stepped up. The summer will be the first time we can truly be more competitive in terms of wages and budgets. 

It would be foolhardy to toss that away with yet another rebuild. The current one isn’t finished. 

Judge it more next year. We are comfortably in the league again. With some quality to the squad and players like Sanson settling in, with many promising youth, we can be excited for that. 

We’ve seen the best and worst of stuff this year, we are still one of the youngest squads in the league. We need to remove the inconsistencies with what is still a very small squad. That’s the reality of what we work under. And Smith has a lot of credit for that, as doing the coaching staff, and players. So many pundits wrote us off as relegation fodder to begin with, and you can see why. But we’ve proved them wrong. And will continue to do so. 

I think Smith and co have visions of what they want, but cannot deliver it due to injuries or inexperience or just lacking in that edge of quality needed. 

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Your turning into a proper keyboard warrior mate. How the hell do you know, my reactions, stamping feet, Spoilt kid??? There you go again being personal to try justify your opinions.

I am just frustrated at the football since January like many other fans on here. Change the manager, no way, give him till Christmas and a few signings to see if he can turn it around, if not maybe we will be forced into trying something new. Jack's missing has been the big issue if we can all admit it, but also the losing run is on the players and the manager 50/50 if I'm being balanced.

Well it's pretty obvious with the attitude of a handful on here. 

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

is 10th position really great things at this level? since we are 11th

But I said it's Leeds' first season back here in 16 years, and was responding to those going on about the last decade for us as a club when the actuality was we spent 3 seasons in the Champ and had a few years battling relegation in this league. It was shite but nothing compared to what Leeds went through yet they've been more than fine this season and nowhere near a relegation battle.

3 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Grealish is being played because he wants to goto the Euros, and Dean being a good manager and looking out for his players, is giving him the opportunity to get some game time before the season ends. 

We don't have a plan B because we don't have the quality off the bench to enact one. This has been spoken about all season. When we were playing well Villa were covering more distance than any other squad.  Eventually it would catch up to us and it has, especially in midfield.

It's an obvious flaw that the recruitment team is probably well aware of. Let's see how they attempt to correct it this summer. 

I'm still not sure why this gets ignored so much. 

We had an unfit Jack and a lot of players who have huge question marks over their ability to perform at this level on the bench.

The club have said it will take 3 years to start building the kind of squad depth we want. 

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Well that might be his personal target. I doubt the owners told him top half or failure. And ultimately its going to be a few points difference. 

He got us up, he kept us up and he's progressed us up the table. 

He's used the words 'the target for the club'

I do think questions will be asked in the summer 

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

But I said it's Leeds' first season back here in 16 years, and was responding to those going on about the last decade for us as a club when the actuality was we spent 3 seasons in the Champ and had a few years battling relegation in this league. It was shite but nothing compared to what Leeds went through yet they've been more than fine this season and nowhere near a relegation battle.

So what? What does Leeds doing well have to do with us?

Sheff Utd did well last year. Wolves did well when they first came up. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

Well it's pretty obvious with the attitude of a handful on here. 

Seasons over chap, no one really care's, which is why you have me all wrong. Frustrated how we have finished. yes, care, not in the slightest!!

Just now, tomav84 said:

He's used the words 'the target for the club'

I do think questions will be asked in the summer 

I think Year 3 will what they will judge on. Cannot overstate how important the next transfer window will be. 

• Like 1

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Seasons over chap, no one really care's, which is why you have me all wrong. Frustrated how we have finished. yes, care, not in the slightest!!

Yeah, because you've only had this attitude recently. 

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Leeds have done very well. Show me where I've said different. 

OK, fine. But surely you must be concerned with our form since January? 

I am not saying replace Smith now, he will get another summer of investment and looking to improve this team, but if things start off badly next season and he's making the same tactical errors it will be time to ask ourselves if we need better. 

Just now, The_Steve said:

I think Year 3 will what they will judge on. Cannot overstate how important the next transfer window will be. 

This summer and next summer will really allow us to build. I'm genuinely excited about the prospect. 

But we don't get that opportunity unless Dean keeps us in the prem and improves the club away from a relegation  battle. 

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

OK, fine. But surely you must be concerned with our form since January? 

I am not saying replace Smith now, he will get another summer of investment and looking to improve this team, but if things start off badly next season and he's making the same tactical errors it will be time to ask ourselves if we need better. 

A little but there have been so many factors that I believe have played a part. I'm not too concerned with a proper pre season and more spending in the summer. 

I'm not Smith in for ever regardless. If we have a terrible year next season then he will be rightly replaced. But he's done a fantastic job so far and deserves to keep trying to build us up. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

This summer and next summer will really allow us to build. I'm genuinely excited about the prospect. 

But we don't get that opportunity unless Dean keeps us in the prem and improves the club away from a relegation  battle. 

Exactly.

Dean is very honest - look how many times it’s been said how even the owners didn’t expect us to be promoted as quickly. Everyone in the hierarchy is on the same page for a change - the ambition is long-term. And the investments show it. We arguably did over achieve with such a new squad last year, all of this is consolidating the foundations we have. 

18 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

This isn’t even true. Wolves are 4 points below us unless you were counting a game as a draw which was 10 minutes old.

They need to turn this game around otherwise they’re going to have to beat both Everton and United to finish above us.

Wolves finished 24 points ahead of us last season.

It does feel like O’Leary knew what he was talking about with a lot of Villa fans. 

So im 'fickle' now? Pathetic post tom

• Haha 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

So im 'fickle' now? Pathetic post tom

when we were winning you would post stuff like Happy Monday or something similar. Now we are losing its having a go at youngsters like Ramsey

not really supporting the club through thick and thin ;) 

• Like 1

Â