Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I think he'd be sacked if the owners weren't happy. Bruce didn't last long did he? 

I think they'll see what a weird season it's been and take into account many factors. I might be wrong but I don't see him under threat at all. 

Bruce was taking us backwards, that was why he was sacked. I'm just saying everybody has one opinion or the other but nobody knows what the owners really think. It's all speculation but they could be quite disappointed. 

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Essentially that’s probably true. If our season was reversed and we struggled at the start but finished very strong (including thrashing Liverpool in our last few games) I think people would be a lot happier and more optimistic about the season to come. 

Yeah, that's pretty much always the case. If a team goes WWWWWLLLLL the manager might get the sack; if they go WLWLWLWLWL they won't. But it's worth establishing that they're worth the same points, and unless you have a really good reason to think the former will only continue with L's, then it doesn't actually make that much sense to treat them differently.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Defence being better is debatable, we still make the same mistakes. Without Martinez I think we would be bottom half, the amount of worldys he has pulled off, so so glad we have him.

It's not debatable in the slightest. 

Last year we conceded 67 goals. We will have probably conceded 20 less by the end of the year and have matched our club premier league record for clean sheets. 

The fact you think it's debatable is why some think you have an agenda. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

It's not debatable in the slightest. 

Last year we conceded 67 goals. We will have probably conceded 20 less by the end of the year and have matched our club premier league record for clean sheets. 

The fact you think it's debatable is why some think you have an agenda. 

If you include Martinez as part of the defence fair enough. But without Martinez I don't think we would be far off last season conceded goals, an I doubt we would have finished 11th.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But is there a strong correlation between the last 10 games of a season and where that team will finish next year? 

I find it strange that some don't view the season as a whole. 

Exactly this.

If we were a team like Burnley for example and you finished the season poorly; going into a Summer with little money to spend and a chance that some of your better players will get poached then I would be pretty worried. Effectively that was us last time we were in the PL; playing poorly, no money to spend, losing players like Young, Downing, Delph & Benteke.

But we know that we have money to spend again, and that this side will once again be very different to the team that finishes this season. It's been a solid season this year in the grand scheme of things and next season should be even better, whilst hopefully being more consistent.

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

For me:

• Sometimes slow to change things tactically during games
  • Somewhat over-reliant on favourites/trusted, core group - doesn't seem to change things enough or fast enough when fatigue seems to be a factor

There's probably other, better reasons, and maybe these aren't right - I'm no expert - but those are things that bug me.

Yeah this is where i am at.

I am not calling for him to be sacked but we certainly will need improvement to the last 10 games next season

I think point 1 is the key one and something he does really badly in.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

If you include Martinez as part of the defence fair enough. But without Martinez I don't think we would be far off last season conceded goals, an I doubt we would have finished 11th.

Why wouldn't you include the goalkeeper? Unless had an agenda. 

I think cash has been an improvement and konza and targett have both improved on last year. 

Like I said, it's not debatable in the slightest.

Well someone asked "legitimate" criticism of smith.

In my opinion he needs to adress his bad game streaks so he wont attract certain group people who are so "full of context" they will just keep pointing  👉 10 bad games.

👇

10 bad games.

10 bad games

☝️

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Bruce was taking us backwards, that was why he was sacked. I'm just saying everybody has one opinion or the other but nobody knows what the owners really think. It's all speculation but they could be quite disappointed. 

Yeah nobody knows, but usually there would be bits in the press and pundits talking about it, if a manager was under threat.

I think if you asked most pundits or neutral fans if they thought Dean's job was on the line, they'd laugh. 

3 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Exactly this.

If we were a team like Burnley for example and you finished the season poorly; going into a Summer with little money to spend and a chance that some of your better players will get poached then I would be pretty worried. Effectively that was us last time we were in the PL; playing poorly, no money to spend, losing players like Young, Downing, Delph & Benteke.

But we know that we have money to spend again, and that this side will once again be very different to the team that finishes this season. It's been a solid season this year in the grand scheme of things and next season should be even better, whilst hopefully being more consistent.

Absolutely. We're in the best position since the MON days. We're an attractive prospect, our best players keep signing extended deals and we know our owners will spend. Everything in the background is on the up. It's a great time to be a villa fan.

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Can i ask the people that are defending Smith  a legitimate question.

Your clearly happy with smith which is absolutely fine. 

But where do you think smith as a manager needs to improve?

Really want an end to those stupid pyrotechnics on the sideline at VP, and want Smith to do more to address that.

• Haha 2

It's very unlikely we'll have such a good start next season like we did this season. 

We've been awful for 5 months now. 

If we have a more "normal" start to next season and we get a similar horrible 5 months of form during some stage of next season we could be in serious trouble.

The fact that we hit poor form isn't necesarrily the worrying thing. It is that its been going on for so long. We're not talking 4-5 games here

The 2021 table would be grim reading.

Edited by villalad21

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Why wouldn't you include the goalkeeper? Unless had an agenda. 

I think cash has been an improvement and konza and targett have both improved on last year. 

Like I said, it's not debatable in the slightest.

Debatable in being, we still losing to many games from winning positions. Tactics or the defence?

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Debatable in being, we still losing to many games from winning positions. Tactics or the defence?

You said its debatable that the defence had improved from last season. 

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's very unlikely we'll have such a good start next season like we did this season. 

We've been awful for 5 months now. 

If we have a more "normal" start to next season and we get a similar horrible 5 months of form during some stage of next season we could be in serious trouble.

The fact that we hit poor form isn't necesarrily the worrying thing. It is that its been going on for so long.

The 2021 table would be grim reading.

Shit, you're right. **** me lads let's start to panic. 

But wait. What if we have a normal start and don't have a horrible period? What if it might be better with better players and a better squad? 

What if eh?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Enda said:

Really want an end to those stupid pyrotechnics on the sideline at VP, and want Smith to do more to address that.

wwe wrestling GIF

Now we can begin putting Smith's entrance theme together.

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Shit, you're right. **** me lads let's start to panic. 

But wait. What if we have a normal start and don't have a horrible period? What if it might be better with better players and a better squad? 

What if eh?

Always the players fault. Never the manager, eyh 👍?

Edited by villalad21

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Always the players fault. Never the manager, eyh 👍?

Haha from the guy who wanted Dean sacked 2 months into the job. 

You've ruined your ability to have little digs like that with a terrible track record. 

• Like 2

Â