Jesus Garcia Pitarch

alreadyexists

12 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Was he? Where you hear that?

Phillips, speaking after Leeds' promotion to the Premier League was confirmed, admitted he thought he was leaving his boyhood club for Villa Park at one stage last year.

“To be honest, I was in a situation where I didn’t know what to do,” said Phillips, in an interview with The Athletic. “I was basically on the verge of leaving. I was on the verge of saying I wanted to leave, but at the same time I didn’t want to say it.

"Aston Villa had been in touch and they’d gone into the Premier League so I knew I could play in the Premier League just like that. And us losing in the play-offs killed me a bit. It was hard to take.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leeds-kalvin-phillips-villa-transfer-18640108

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Seems that Kalvin Philips was close to joining last summer.  Plus we wouldn't pay the fees for Webster, Benrahma or Maupay. 

Makes you wonder what would have happened if we had secured the top choices and how many others we missed out on

ehhh I think I'd take Douglas Luiz over Phillips. But then again, I haven't really watched much of Phillips either

34 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

ehhh I think I'd take Douglas Luiz over Phillips. But then again, I haven't really watched much of Phillips either

I'm not 100% sure but I think we were linked with Phillips after we signed Luiz.

Nakamba may have been 2nd choice?

8 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

'I’d have been getting relegated with Aston Villa instead’

When did he give the interview... A fair assessment a couple of days ago! 

13 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I don’t, I think they have a long term plan and see Suso as vital to that. That doesn’t mean he gets away with it, and there should be a review of what has happened. 
In a way you can see what they are trying, they wanted people who would increase in value. In a way a lot of them have done that. 

However, what they needed to do was also add in a couple of experienced heads and another striking option. 

i disagree. before covid hit, smith was allegedly a chelsea defeat away from losing his job. the same article indicated that suso's job was under review, and would likely still be under review even if we stay up. i can see him going.

fact of the matter is that this season has been poor by and large. even if we stay up, there will be a fall guy

purslow will know at least a bit about football, smith obviously knows a bit about football too as well as a few others at the club

I think they ask to see his "draft board" his list of 5 players in every position, identifying which positions he sees as key for strengthening, who he thinks he can get and for how much, his analysis of each player and why he thinks it will work, if purslow and smith like that board then he'll stay, if his list is shite then he'll get bulleted and the next one brought in

again the key with suso - we will never see that board, we'll never know the inner workings of his job, if he ends up having to buy his 8th choice left winger and he turns out to be shit then purslow and smith will know the story behind it even if we dont

• Like 2

So coming up to Game 38 now and it seems Luiz and Konsa are looking good, Targett and Reina are effective and Guilbert is improving. Not to mention the potential hero of the season Trezeguet. Who is to say Wesley might not have come good as well.

So was it a case of too much too soon from Suso?

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

So coming up to Game 38 now and it seems Luiz and Konsa are looking good, Targett and Reina are effective and Guilbert is improving. Not to mention the potential hero of the season Trezeguet. Who is to say Wesley might not have come good as well.

Wes: Overpaid and a poor player

Trez: Overpaid and a poor player

Targett: Overpaid

Nakamba: Overpaid and up and down

Heaton, Reina, Guilbert, Hause, Mings (just about), Konsa, Engels, Luiz, El Ghazi, Samatta were good signings for the money based on what we had already/have seen.

It'll all be weighed up by Purslow and I presume Suso will be moved on.

I think Smith is performing a miracle before our eyes and I'm not in any rush to give Suso credit for it. He's made Smith's job much harder than it needed to be.

I see Brighton and Norwich have already made several moves in the transfer market. No surprise with Ashworth and Webber in position there. Fingers crossed the two mystery academy signings come to fruition for us.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Wes: Overpaid and a poor player

Trez: Overpaid and a poor player

Targett: Overpaid

Nakamba: Overpaid and up and down

Heaton, Reina, Guilbert, Hause, Mings (just about), Konsa, Engels, Luiz, El Ghazi, Samatta were good signings for the money based on what we had already/have seen.

It'll all be weighed up by Purslow and I presume Suso will be moved on.

I think Smith is performing a miracle before our eyes and I'm not in any rush to give Suso credit for it. He's made Smith's job much harder than it needed to be.

I see Brighton and Norwich have already made several moves in the transfer market. No surprise with Ashworth and Webber in position there. Fingers crossed the two mystery academy signings come to fruition for us.

Wes - NOT SURE. Certainly overpaid but too early to judge and certainly not as overpaid as some of the other signings in the Premier League e.g. Everton

Trez = DISAGREE. I think he's a good squad player and has that special nack of delivering when needed

Targett - DISAGREE.  Ball playing, left footed fullbacks are at a premium. £13m is the going rate and he's improving - it's only his first year in the PL Premier League as a starter.

Nakamba - AGREE

Heaton, Reina, Guilbert, Hause, Mings (just about), Konsa, Engels, Luiz, El Ghazi, Samatta were good signings for the money based on what we had already/have seen - AGREE with all but Samatta - looks lost to me and way below Jodja

Suso - AGREE, will move on

Smith - UNSURE. Is doing well belatedly but in some key games such as Watford and Bournemouth we just didn't turn-up which is worrying and our record against the top teams is the worst of the bottom pack (I think I saw on VT).  I'm also conserned that he still doesn't know his best team and formation.  To be fair though the Premier League is new to him as well as the players and I therefore cut him some slack.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

I'd prefer a midfield 3 of Phillips, Luiz and mcginn to be honest.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Zatman said:

as villa fans we tend to get carried away with ourselves, after good results and bad.

luiz and konsa, fair doos, are both looking good, but konsa wasn't a suso signing. smith managed him at brentford. does luiz perform better in an empty stadium? is he one of the training ground players smith referred to? that remains to be seen

1 brilliant performance from guilbert does not excuse the abysmal performances at leicester and southampton (just 2 off the top of my head).

trez scoring 3 valuable goals - and they really might be valuable - doesn't change how absolutely appalling a footballer he is. a hero, he is not.

wesley played 2 good games in the first half of the season but was terrible in the others, but i'm willing to give him another chance as the system has shown since then to be ineffective when it comes to strikers.

targett is a poor signing IMO. lightweight, poor delivery, and poor defender. i'm totally in the minority i accept that but i genuinely prefer taylor.

and it hardly takes a shrewd DoF to identify a player of Reina's caliber as a viable GK option...he hardly unearthed a young, unknown talent here.

so i want suso gone. i dont want him anywhere near a penny of the jack money. god knows what dross he'll spend it on

Wesley scored 5 in 21 I think he could have ended the season with 10 goals ( a similar return to Haller who was £45m ,and he definitely would have slotted away the  chance Davis had the other night ,  It’s very difficult to find a young Striker under £25m all the new players struggled early on, now were signing their praises, only difference is Wesley had to live up to a price tag, Not a bad Signing in my opinion , shame he got injuerd or assaulted by that word removed ben mee

• Like 3

I think the idea of replacing Suso is about much more than recruitment, since I'm sure if we bring in a DoF their job will be more than just identifying players that we can sign, will be about revamping the club and helping it build a footballing identity and so on.

the hope with wes has to be that luiz shares some of his magic beans...or at the very least offers him some guidance as to where he learned English and the tweaks he has made in his lifestyle living here that has resulted in him being far more settled and comfortable which has extended to his performances on the pitch

we didn't have this world beater luiz around Christmas that's for sure, if he'd played like this all season then we would be clear by now

got to hope (and not instantly dismiss in the typical villa fan fashion) that wes can do something similar 

Â