The NSWE Board

Guest av1

7 hours ago, sne said:

A signing in the mold of Cambiasso to Leicester or Moutinho to Wolves would have been invaluable.

Someone who's been there and done it at the very highest level. PL experience not really the key.

We did one better, we signed a Premier League winner :(

Image result for danny drinkwater premier league win

• Haha 1

Please don't talk about transfers, real or imaginary in this thread. NSWE don't sign the players. There are plenty of other threads and if there isn't a suitable one; start a new one.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I can see them instructing Purslow to be ambitious in his thinking IF we do end replacing Smith. They are obviously very ambitious and the previous links to Henry, Rui Faria, and if true Paulo Fonseca show they have a certain level of thinking and ambition when it comes to managers. Poch or Rangnick are the remote dream but are sadly out of the question. I don’t want a foreign name for the sake of it I just want a better manager than smith to build on the groundwork laid. 

21 hours ago, thabucks said:

I can see them instructing Purslow to be ambitious in his thinking IF we do end replacing Smith. They are obviously very ambitious and the previous links to Henry, Rui Faria, and if true Paulo Fonseca show they have a certain level of thinking and ambition when it comes to managers. Poch or Rangnick are the remote dream but are sadly out of the question. I don’t want a foreign name for the sake of it I just want a better manager than smith to build on the groundwork laid. 

I very much agree that another calibre of manager needs to be considered when Smith goes.

It was interesting to discover that Pochettino would be open to a return to the Premier League and it doesn't have to be a top 6 club either with what he has said...

"But we will see, there is not only Premier League, there are different leagues in the world, different clubs that can be exciting, to give you a challenge that is maybe different.

"Now, it is true that we haven’t had time to think too much of the future, we have been thinking only of ourselves, to recover and be ready, because that is the key point, to be ready when something happens and to be more prepared to give to a club that is interested in you, the best of you," he said.

Rest of the story is here in full...

So, if our owners are as ambitious as they say, and Poch is open to a "New Challenge" then this project (if we survive relegation) would be perfect for any manager worth their salt looking to test their resolve.

I'm not saying it will happen but this is the type of manager I hope the owners aim toward next if we are to be an established top Premier League club again.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 2

I don't think they will lose interest and sell us if we go down. After all the money they've put into the club wouldn't make sense to sell it as a championship team when they'd get less more, would be better for them for us to get promoted and then sell it, if they were of the mind to sell it that is, which I don't think they are. I think it was Purslow who said there would be ups and downs, but the club is in good hands.

I have no idea realistically what to expect from them.....They don't really come out and say anything, that would give us any idea.....I think they have a manager, who they control, so I don't see any buzz there.

I am not really taken by their Wealth, in terms of surprising us with a big managerial appointment or Players for that matter......I think we had our moment in the sun, last summer and the clouds have moved over....we had this with Lerner, the money didn't buy what we thought it would and the interest waned and the manager ran for the hills.....the owner was then even more pissed off and ran in the opposite direction.

So, not sure what happens next.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

I don't think they will lose interest and sell us if we go down. After all the money they've put into the club wouldn't make sense to sell it as a championship team when they'd get less more, would be better for them for us to get promoted and then sell it, if they were of the mind to sell it that is, which I don't think they are. I think it was Purslow who said there would be ups and downs, but the club is in good hands.

Trouble is there would be that horrible period - where they lose interest and just let us tick over...

"Not a minded seller" in Lerner speak.

Really hope these guys don't lose interest - not sure who would pump the millions in that they have just to keep us afloat.

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think whether we go down or not, there are actually very positive things ahead for us. I like the ownership group, they say sensible things and they've hired experienced people who have done good things elsewhere - they've got some experience and some patience and they're interested without the whole "always been a fan nonsense" I don't think the owners are particularly likely to ever bloke smoke up us - they see the club as an opportunity to be successful.

If we go down, we'll go down selling a couple of players and having a small fortune to spend on building from the ground up - a more holistic approach than the scattergun buy, loan, buy of the last time we were in the Championship - we're a big less of a rocking ship and we'll have money.  If we stay up, then I think we'll keep more of the players and invest again, hopefully to a point where we address some of the obvious weaknesses in the squad. 

I'm more confident than I was the last time we were relegated, I think we'll come back and I think we're on better foundations and with better people at the helm than last time around. Time will tell, but I'm still feeling pretty positive about this ownership group and their aims.

Indeed - we lose grealish, Mings, liuz - I reckon mcginn won't have the suitors after half a prem season. Steer + Heaton for GK

Couple of centre backs and a striker + maybe Louie Barry - we are a lot more ready than last time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Trouble is there would be that horrible period - where they lose interest and just let us tick over...

"Not a minded seller" in Lerner speak.

Really hope these guys don't lose interest - not sure who would pump the millions in that they have just to keep us afloat.

Maybe but cutting investment in a company isn't normally the best way to sell unless you're selling to asset strippers. 

We’ve been told we’re in great hands, a more “professional” ownership than we’re used to. Im sure theyll be pissed off at relegation but not to the point they’ll lose interest. I think both Edens and Sawiris know they own one of the most prestigious clubs in this country and will want to make us successful despite whats gone on this season. With Leeds, Boggies and possibly Fulham going up there really isnt that much to worry about in the Championship this time around. We wont walk it, but with a vigilant strategy and proper planning we should be favourites to go straight back up. Thats what my positive half of my mind tells me anyway.

1 minute ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

We’ve been told we’re in great hands, a more “professional” ownership than we’re used to. Im sure theyll be pissed off at relegation but not to the point they’ll lose interest. I think both Edens and Sawiris know they own one of the most prestigious clubs in this country and will want to make us successful despite whats gone on this season. With Leeds, Boggies and possibly Fulham going up there really isnt that much to worry about in the Championship this time around. We wont walk it, but with a vigilant strategy and proper planning we should be favourites to go straight back up. Thats what my positive half of my mind tells me anyway.

Yeah I think they are in for more than just a fling. But who knows what Covid-19 has done to their priorities.

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Maybe but cutting investment in a company isn't normally the best way to sell unless you're selling to asset strippers. 

Cut you're losses and sell up - it's what Randy did - given what has had to be pumped in to keep us afloat - I doubt he regrets it.

I still believe one of them was the driver behind last summer's transfer strategy. Surprised how little is being made of that.

While I'm thankful they came in and saved us I can't say I'm hugely optimistic for the future if they really believe last summer's strategy is the way to go in the premier league. I'm sure we'll build another reasonable good side at championship level as that's really not hard to do but we'll still need to sign 5-6 good players even if we come straight back up, hopefully at least we'll have more depth so we don't have to spend too much just signing squad players.

Anyway this is what I want to be reading from Edens in 12 months time:

Reflecting on his team's quick return to the premier league Wes Edens admitted mistakes had been made previously. Speaking exclusively to the USA Daily Beano Edens stated: "Mistakes? For sure we made Mistakes. We had lots to do. We perhaps didn't quite have the recruitment in place to get the players we really needed but we do have now. And I think also the knowledge know from those overseeing the squad to make us a proper force at premier league level. You look at the Leicesters and Wolves and you see the good quality experienced players they've signed, we see now that's an area we need to exploit more. Continue to sign young players but that simply can't be the only strategy. We want to excite the fans. We feel we now have the manager in place.......who can attract top end players from champions league clubs with what we're building here. You only have to look at Everton since they appointed Ancelotti and signed half of the Barcelona team and are now  drawing with Liverpool to see there's real progess there and that's what we want to do here. By end of summer window we're incredibly confident we'll have signed 4-5 top players from the Spanish, Italian and German leagues with vast experinced at international level, that will give us a competitive top half premier league team..........we're also got an agent in Belguim on standby just in case none of those players want to come....."

Edens also confirmed the October 2020 appointment of Sam Allardyce fitted all their criteria given his past record of signing over 30s Fernando Hierro, Youri Djorkaeff, Fredi Bobic, Michel Salgado and Jay Jay Okocha which helped Bolton make europe in 2005 and 2007 and also helped Blackburn to a 10th place finish in 09/10.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, hippo said:

Cut you're losses and sell up - it's what Randy did - given what has had to be pumped in to keep us afloat - I doubt he regrets it.

Good point and not sure how I blanked that. Let's just hope they run us cannily enough to not make huge losses. Relying on ongoing investment from owners will always worry me when there's more than one party involved.

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think whether we go down or not, there are actually very positive things ahead for us. I like the ownership group, they say sensible things and they've hired experienced people who have done good things elsewhere - they've got some experience and some patience and they're interested without the whole "always been a fan nonsense" I don't think the owners are particularly likely to ever bloke smoke up us - they see the club as an opportunity to be successful.

If we go down, we'll go down selling a couple of players and having a small fortune to spend on building from the ground up - a more holistic approach than the scattergun buy, loan, buy of the last time we were in the Championship - we're a big less of a rocking ship and we'll have money.  If we stay up, then I think we'll keep more of the players and invest again, hopefully to a point where we address some of the obvious weaknesses in the squad. 

I'm more confident than I was the last time we were relegated, I think we'll come back and I think we're on better foundations and with better people at the helm than last time around. Time will tell, but I'm still feeling pretty positive about this ownership group and their aims.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who sees it like this. 

I don’t want to get relegated of course. But I don’t see why so many people are so scared of it this time around. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don’t want to get relegated of course. But I don’t see why so many people are so scared of it this time around. 

Jack Grealish FC syndrome I think.

A spine of Heaton-Mings-McGinn- new striker would be up there in the championship no problem given the standard I watched between 16-19.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

I still believe one of them was the driver behind last summer's transfer strategy. Surprised how little is being made of that.

While I'm thankful they came in and saved us I can't say I'm hugely optimistic for the future if they really believe last summer's strategy is the way to go in the premier league. I'm sure we'll build another reasonable good side at championship level as that's really not hard to do but we'll still need to sign 5-6 good players even if we come straight back up, hopefully at least we'll have more depth so we don't have to spend too much just signing squad players.

Anyway this is what I want to be reading from Edens in 12 months time:

Reflecting on his team's quick return to the premier league Wes Edens admitted mistakes had been made previously. Speaking exclusively to the USA Daily Beano Edens stated: "Mistakes? For sure we made Mistakes. We had lots to do. We perhaps didn't quite have the recruitment in place to get the players we really needed but we do have now. And I think also the knowledge know from those overseeing the squad to make us a proper force at premier league level. You look at the Leicesters and Wolves and you see the good quality experienced players they've signed, we see now that's an area we need to exploit more. Continue to sign young players but that simply can't be the only strategy. We want to excite the fans. We feel we now have the manager in place.......who can attract top end players from champions league clubs with what we're building here. You only have to look at Everton since they appointed Ancelotti and signed half of the Barcelona team and are now  drawing with Liverpool to see there's real progess there and that's what we want to do here. By end of summer window we're incredibly confident we'll have signed 4-5 top players from the Spanish, Italian and German leagues with vast experinced at international level, that will give us a competitive top half premier league team..........we're also got an agent in Belguim on standby just in case none of those players want to come....."

Edens also confirmed the October 2020 appointment of Sam Allardyce fitted all their criteria given his past record of signing over 30s Fernando Hierro, Youri Djorkaeff, Fredi Bobic, Michel Salgado and Jay Jay Okocha which helped Bolton make europe in 2005 and 2007 and also helped Blackburn to a 10th place finish in 09/10.

I do too.

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think we should storm the league, but there's always a chance we don't. Football doesn't always work like that. We wouldn't be the first club to fall into that trap and I'd really rather not have to risk the Championship in the first place. If we somehow fail to get out in our first season, we could be in there for a long while.

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not scared of it either. I'm actually pretty optimistic for the future whatever happens. 

Â