The NSWE Board

Guest av1

• 2 weeks later...

I love these guys. They have been a breath of fresh air for the club but are they being too loyal to Dean?
Today was so predictable. It was another must not lose game that Dean just passively watched from the side and appeared to have no influence upon. Dean is a dead man walking. He will be gone within the next 6 months one way or another. I hope these guys have already got a suitable plan for what comes next. Everything else is in place but the head coach. Big call to be made.

Right, so if Wolves could get a Nuno type in, in the Championship, could we possibly get a Nuno type in, with 11 games to go?

Is that enough to convince one of those to come in? At best, we have a dramatic turnaround in the next 10 games or so, at worst, we begin to implement a transformation into a proper footballing side?

Obviously this is all irrelevant if those types of managers looks at the team and say " Nah, those turds are way too soft for me to shape". OR, we can't afford another manager anyway due to FFP and the need to pay out a long term contract for Dean?

I think where we have possibly made mistakes is in the formulaic way we have tried to develop the footballing side of things. I fully understand that we need a plan and of course there will always be an element of formula when putting together anything repeatable. However I believe we have been too rigid in our approach. 

As far as I understand, the plan is to recruit players that can either take us forward as a team or have value in the transfer market. The driving force behind implementing this plan is statistical analysis. Statistics can’t be ignored and have a massive place to play in modern football. Wes is a massive supporter of this and his experience in US sports supports his belief. However I believe there is an over emphasis on statistics in our case, I think it lends itself more to US sports and not quite so much football, which is less dependent on set plays than say American Football. I’m not dismissing stats, far from it, but we can’t just ignore good old fashioned football nouse. We can’t  be too rigid in how we analyse players, particularly in recruitment. 

I feel that the overall plan is a good one and the use of statistics vital, but have we forgotten the football in all this? As a business plan it’s hard to be critical, but football is unique and first and foremost a sport. I know that the little things matter these days and we need to be able to measure progress or regression, but football is a unique sport that is very human dependent as far as individual moments are concerned. That “bit of magic” is probably more important in football than any other major team sport. I think in the rush to put a formula together we have sort of forgotten to put a football team together. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Over the next few months I think we'll see how good the owners vision for the club is.

Last time we went down we were a proper basketcase club like Sunderland.

We got back up within three years. Could've easily been two if we'd turned up for the first hour v Fulham. That was with a kid in a sweet shop owner and safety first manager.

This season has been a disappointment and looks like it will now have a bad ending which will set us back another few years. I still don't see why it has to condeem us to years back in the wilderness. I'd expect us to come straight back up.

We go down and owners will have big decisions to make. What to do with DS? How to replace Grealish? You simply appoint a competant manager for that level and tell him to sign proven players for that level. That strategy got us top 6 last time although of course we've seen limitations of that approach going forward back into the premier league but still down there it's a pretty bullet proof strategy imo.

Leicester to me have a magnificent board especially when you factor in the tragedy of last season. Club that knows what it wants and how to get there (CL). Hard to believe they sold one of their best players last summer for 70m. Also didn't hesitate to approach Rodgers when he was in work after sacking Claude Puel. They showed bottle at key moments and are getting their rewards.

Next few months to me will show how much more nous Edens, Nas and Purslow have. compared to Lerner, Fox, Xia, Wyness etc Believe it or not but in the long run we can actually come back stronger from this.

• Like 1

Let's hope the world economy imploding over the Corona virus is not going to make them drop their commitment and interest in us. 

I know, I'm focusing on what's important in the world here.

Any word from them yet? I imagine our owners have lost quite a lot of money in the last month.

Hope they are still committed to keeping us afloat.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, sne said:

Any word from them yet? I imagine our owners have lost quite a lot of money in the last month.

Hope they are still committed to keeping us afloat.

Yes I was thinking this. All of their businesses will be going through massive losses over the next few months. 

Then again the super rich always seem to come out of these kind of times much better than the rest. 

Its great having money......but there is no substitute for good decision making.

so far these money men have come up short on miserly uncle Herbert in terms of value for money.

Its funny really, even he had more idea of a decent signing than these directors of football.

First warning signs was them not changing manager as soon as the bought the club. It would have been the right thing to do and I said as much at the time.

But tbh they have worked under some pretty extraordinary circumstances during the less than 2 years they've owned the club. So much to be done in such a short time with things changing so fast.

No real time to plan ahead. Corona just the icing on the cake.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

First warning signs was them not changing manager as soon as the bought the club. It would have been the right thing to do and I said as much at the time.

But tbh they have worked under some pretty extraordinary circumstances during the less than 2 years they've owned the club. So much to be done in such a short time with things changing so fast.

No real time to plan ahead. Corona just the icing on the cake.

how is it the icing on the cake?, havent the PL said they will finish the season in the summer now?

Just now, MaVilla said:

how is it the icing on the cake?, havent the PL said they will finish the season in the summer now?

They say a lot of things, just guesswork at this stage. No one knows what the situation will be in 2 weeks, let alone 2 months.

As for the icing on the cake it's another extreme situation making it impossible to plan ahead. Not knowing what division we will play in is one thing. But add that to the contract situation with players and no one knowing what the rules will be, a transfer window situation that is up in the air and the just mind boggling amount of money that they will lose on a personal level.

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its great having money......but there is no substitute for good decision making.

so far these money men have come up short on miserly uncle Herbert in terms of value for money.

Its funny really, even he had more idea of a decent signing than these directors of football.

Goodness me, what world do you live in? What year do you think it is? Doug Ellis?! These things take time. If the only way you'll be happy is us winning the league you may as well stop watching.

They've had to spend hundreds of millions in less than two years to move three steps forward and we're about to take one back.

What good decisions would you like them to have made? They've gone and got an ex-Chelsea and Liverpool CEO and let him make every football decision, I think that's a quite a good early decision myself. Doug of course would have sat in the boardroom himself, not spent in the Championship last January and we'd still be sat there now.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Goodness me, what world do you live in? What year do you think it is? Doug Ellis?! These things take time. If the only way you'll be happy is us winning the league you may as well stop watching.

They've had to spend hundreds of millions in less than two years to move three steps forward and we're about to take one back.

What good decisions would you like them to have made? They've gone and got an ex-Chelsea and Liverpool CEO and let him make every football decision, I think that's a quite a good early decision myself. Doug of course would have sat in the boardroom himself, not spent in the Championship last January and we'd still be sat there now.

The world where, I can tell the difference between a  good player and a bad one.

This time thing is just a cop out......There has not been not a flicker in any player improvement....what are you waiting for, divine intervention.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

The world where, I can tell the difference between a  good player and a bad one.

This time thing is just a cop out......There has not been not a flicker in any player improvement....what are you waiting for, divine intervention.

What's that got to do with the owners?

Pathetic foot stamping.

Â