The NSWE Board

Guest av1

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yep, early years majority were falling over themselves to say what a perfect owner Lerner was (in fairness he did little to dispute that by continually backing MON and also doing great off the field stuff with Acorns). Even in first year Xia was getting loads of love for his spending and moronic tweets.

In some ways staying up has saved the board from having to make major decisions like the next manager and having to sell Grealish although that could still happen. Now it's about minor tweaks to our transfer strategy like getting a few more older heads into the squad for next season.

Agreed, I've no issue with the current ownership but I also strongly recall the early randy years where i though he could do know wrong. Good ownership is judged over time, ultimately they are all here to make money off the club, we just wait to see what benefit we get in the meantime.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yep, early years majority were falling over themselves to say what a perfect owner Lerner was (in fairness he did little to dispute that by continually backing MON and also doing great off the field stuff with Acorns). Even in first year Xia was getting loads of love for his spending and moronic tweets.

In some ways staying up has saved the board from having to make major decisions like the next manager and having to sell Grealish although that could still happen. Now it's about minor tweaks to our transfer strategy like getting a few more older heads into the squad for next season.

Moronic tweets? I’ll have you know that our present owners have also spoken using this method following yesterday! Not as cryptic as the little fella though:

💰💵💰💵💰💵💵💰💵💰💵💰💵💰💵💰💵💰💵💰💵.  👍 

Haven’t quite worked it out yet, but perhaps others on here can help?

3 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Agreed, I've no issue with the current ownership but I also strongly recall the early randy years where i though he could do know wrong. Good ownership is judged over time, ultimately they are all here to make money off the club, we just wait to see what benefit we get in the meantime.

If they can actually make money out of Villa then well done. That hasn't happened for any of our owners post Ellis thus far. If they do it will mean that we are finally being run properly. 

• Like 1

Another aspect of the Vitoria SC link up / investment and hopefully it can benefit us is in terms of coaching. Here's hoping the best coaches find their way over to Villa's youth and first teams. Naturally any young Villa coaches can be sent to Vitoria SC too to help with development.

• Like 1

On 27/07/2020 at 19:51, ferguson1 said:

Moronic tweets? I’ll have you know that our present owners have also spoken using this method following yesterday! Not as cryptic as the little fella though:

💰💵💰💵💰💵💵💰💵💰💵💰💵💰💵💰💵💰💵💰💵.  👍 

Haven’t quite worked it out yet, but perhaps others on here can help?

We are signing Matty Cash 🤔

• Haha 1

They have reinforced the message about taking us to the top again. 

Please please please please don't let this be typical owner waffle. 

Edited by sidcow

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

They have reinforced the message about taking us to the top again. 

Please please please please don't let this be typical owner waffle. 

I think it needs to be taken with a fair portion of salt to be honest.

I'm not saying they've not got the means or that they've not done a good job but lets be realistic, nothing they've done so far suggests CL is the target.

Whatever you think of Smith he isn't the sort of manager to get us there in my opinion.

Besides the competition for top 4 is tougher than its ever been we are nowhere remotely close.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I think it needs to be taken with a fair portion of salt to be honest.

I'm not saying they've not got the means or that they've not done a good job but lets be realistic, nothing they've done so far suggests CL is the target.

Whatever you think of Smith he isn't the sort of manager to get us there in my opinion.

Besides the competition for top 4 is tougher than its ever been we are nowhere remotely close.

I don’t suppose they meant that we’d get there next season. I believe that hope is that Smith can take us to the next level, whatever that is, comfortable mid table, competitive in cups I guess. Then we would be in a better position to attract the level of manager and players that would be able to compete in Europe and at the top of the PL. 

Dean Smith’s time here has possibly benefited from the break in football. It allowed him to regroup and reassess and to be fair to him he used that time well. Perhaps now he can take us further than we thought, but I don’t think for a minute that he won’t be under intense scrutiny. The new Sporting Director won’t be a passive observer, not if he’s any good anyway. If the owners are genuine in their ambitions then I doubt they will be as romantically nourished as many of us fans are by the fact that Dean is one of our own or the rhetoric of him deserving another season etc. If a better manager is deemed to be required to achieve those ambitions then a better manager will be appointed. Harsh but it’s a tough and ruthless  industry. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I don’t suppose they meant that we’d get there next season. I believe that hope is that Smith can take us to the next level, whatever that is, comfortable mid table, competitive in cups I guess. Then we would be in a better position to attract the level of manager and players that would be able to compete in Europe and at the top of the PL. 

Dean Smith’s time here has possibly benefited from the break in football. It allowed him to regroup and reassess and to be fair to him he used that time well. Perhaps now he can take us further than we thought, but I don’t think for a minute that he won’t be under intense scrutiny. The new Sporting Director won’t be a passive observer, not if he’s any good anyway. If the owners are genuine in their ambitions then I doubt they will be as romantically nourished as many of us fans are by the fact that Dean is one of our own or the rhetoric of him deserving another season etc. If a better manager is deemed to be required to achieve those ambitions then a better manager will be appointed. Harsh but it’s a tough and ruthless  industry. 

No certainly re this season and I don't disagree with the rest of your post, I just don't though think its a realistic ambition based on what we've seen to date but accept its a step at a time.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

No certainly re this season and I don't disagree with the rest of your post, I just don't though think its a realistic ambition based on what we've seen to date but accept its a step at a time.

Yeah step at a time for sure, who knows how possible the “Saudi approach” is now with FFP anyway. 

What I will say though is if as seems likely we do invest this summer and add some real quality to what we have, then the distance covered from nearly going into administration will have been quite something in 2 seasons. Step by step but good steps so far in my book. 

• Like 4

They say all the right things, but as Villa fans we've heard it all before.

That's not to say I don't believe them. It's just to say I doubt many of us will be getting excited until we see results.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

That's not to say I don't believe them. It's just to say I doubt many of us will be getting excited until we see results.

Only these guys actually have the finances to back it up...

• Like 3

Just now, Stevo985 said:

It’s more than that for me, I’ve no time for grandiose statements in isolation in any arena, my work life included. I like detail, plans, fixed staging points for progress toward a vision.

Those things may well be in place and obviously I understand not communicating them but if not just ease off the bullish statements otherwise they looks like BS.

But that’s just my personal opinion.

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It’s more than that for me, I’ve no time for grandiose statements in isolation in any arena, my work life included. I like detail, plans, fixed staging points for progress toward a vision.

Those things may well be in place and obviously I understand not communicating them but if not just ease off the bullish statements otherwise they looks like BS.

But that’s just my personal opinion.

Less show me the money more show me the Gantt chart... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's not all about money (but it certainly helps)

Agreed, but they do have the resources and “firepower” unlike our previous owners... no smoke screen here...

And they have been successful in their other ventures.

• Like 1

Actions over words. 

Lerner burnt us, Xia even more so. Words don't mean anything. 

So far their actions have been good, I have faith they want us to do well. But sustainable success at the top of Europe requires a lot more than just forward planning and sensible decision making. 

Serious money would need to be invested each year into the playing squad. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's not all about money (but it certainly helps)

Money buys you better players, better manager, better everything. You can go a long way with it, but you cannot go far without it.

• Thanks 1

Â