The NSWE Board

Guest av1

15 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Not true, I don't think. The *real* test is each and every season. Saved us from bankruptcy. Piled in more money than most teams spent across Europe for a PL campaign. Wisely kept faith with the manager instead of panicking. Will undoubtedly spend again over the next few weeks.

Faultless.

Good so far. But we've also seen promoted teams come up and very quickly make europe. Wolves did it in a single season. Leicester won the league two years after coming up. Burnley made europa two years after being promoted and Sheffield United were very close to making it this year.

Being a decent top half team again shouldn't be some impossible dream but a realistic challenge for us. We would need to sign very well though, infact better than we've done since around 2008-09. Big task though considering there was 14 point gap to even 12th place.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Good so far. But we've also seen promoted teams come up and very quickly make europe. Wolves did it in a single season. Leicester won the league two years after coming up. Burnley made europa two years after being promoted and Sheffield United were very close to making it this year.

Being a decent top half team again shouldn't be some impossible dream but a realistic challenge for us. We would need to sign very well though, infact better than we've done since around 2008-09. Big task though considering there was 14 point gap to even 12th place.

Building over the next two years filling out a squad with players you look at and say that is a top 10 finishing side, no doubt about it..... that is the next step and we can reevaluate from there.

• Like 1

NSWE could not have done more last season, even Samatta was some creative purchasing pushing it to the absolute limit. So much admiration for their commitment. And they are clearly born winners. 

6 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

Not true, I don't think. The *real* test is each and every season. Saved us from bankruptcy. Piled in more money than most teams spent across Europe for a PL campaign. Wisely kept faith with the manager instead of panicking. Will undoubtedly spend again over the next few weeks.

Faultless.

The context of that comment was a comparison with previous ownership. You cant compare the reign until 5 years time in my IMO.

• Like 1

I know it’s easy to say on the crest of a great outcome, but these guys really are doing great with the club. Such a breath of fresh air to know we are ambitious and financially secure at the same time.

Really glad for them and their considerable financial investment that we kept up yesterday. Nassef is quite some businessman, and Wes is obviously an excellent visionary in sport. Let the good times roll.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

We were 1 game from Europe this season 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Yeah agree. Maybe like a 5 year plan?

FFS I hope not.

personally I hope we don't hear from them and their actions in the transfer market tell us all we need to know.

• Like 3

We've had overhaul after overhaul recently, and this is the first time we have the opportunity to build upon a reasonably solid base. Whether we can keep Jack or not won't be the ultimate test of our owners, but reinvesting that money properly to improve the team if he goes will be. 

There are teams in the league that finished very comfortably, such as Palace, Burnley, Brighton and Newcastle, that were pretty shit in reality. Building a team around a spine of Konsa, Mings, Luiz, a resurgent McGinn and hopefully a staying Jack would stand us in good stead. The league will be tougher next year, as I think Leeds and the Baggies are better than the teams that have gone down, so we really need quality.  If the board have the chops, then we'll be able to see it reflected in maybe 4 or quality additions to the squad, and I believe they already have their plan in place for the new season. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

As much as I was farting about with bold predictions on staying up - I did not let myself think about what it would really mean until now - it is boring and relatively unnoticed amongst punditry - but Villa staying up gives us, just as you say, the chance to FINALLY build upon something rather than rip it up and start again. My god it has been so long. 

I don't think since the days of MON, have we had the chance of squad evolution rather than revolution.

You could see that Jack and Luiz felt confident passing to each, and lo and behold, their first touch, movement and strength would mean that space was found, the ball retained or a attack was formed. Early McGinn inspired that level of confidence too.  I also believe the defence was better not only on the pairing of Mings with Konsa, but also with Luiz really finding his feet in that key role.

Where we let ourselves down badly is then the ball went up to the likes Samatta, Trez, El Ghazi, you could be assured that it's more likely to lost to the opposition again. If the board can retain the players they want and we spend well on a good wide man, striker and possibly a new first choice keeper, and we'll be a good team. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

The context of that comment was a comparison with previous ownership. You cant compare the reign until 5 years time in my IMO.

Yep, early years majority were falling over themselves to say what a perfect owner Lerner was (in fairness he did little to dispute that by continually backing MON and also doing great off the field stuff with Acorns). Even in first year Xia was getting loads of love for his spending and moronic tweets.

In some ways staying up has saved the board from having to make major decisions like the next manager and having to sell Grealish although that could still happen. Now it's about minor tweaks to our transfer strategy like getting a few more older heads into the squad for next season.

25 minutes ago, Jareth said:

As much as I was farting about with bold predictions on staying up - I did not let myself think about what it would really mean until now - it is boring and relatively unnoticed amongst punditry - but Villa staying up gives us, just as you say, the chance to FINALLY build upon something rather than rip it up and start again. My god it has been so long. 

Yeah last time arguably we had a chance to add a few and push on in premier league was summer 2013. We had the boost of Benteke changing his mind on joining Spurs and signing a new deal.

That summer we signed Okore, Helenius, Tonev, Kozak, Luna and Bacuna. Big lesson there. We don't need another 6-7 squad fillers.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah last time arguably we had a chance to add a few and push on in premier league was summer 2013. We had the boost of Benteke changing his mind on joining Spurs and signing a new deal.

That summer we signed Okore, Helenius, Tonev, Kozak, Luna and Bacuna. Big lesson there. We don't need another 6-7 squad fillers.

Was just thinking the same. That was down to Lerner getting bored and not being prepared to invest - hope we equal last seasons spend - and with £200m TV money it paid off.

Â