The NSWE Board

Guest av1

Peobs looking at investing 130 million a season for the next 2 or 3 years to get us where they want us. Unless this year ffp is relaxed, in which case I would expect an even bigger amount this season, be it on 3 or 4 players  or a couple more than that. 

Its an expensive game this football lark.

Maybe they are hoping to produce a conveyer belt of average quality to sell on for profit while the first team keeps improving ? The Chelsea approach however has been stopped in having 50 odd players and 20 out on loan increasing their value at other clubs.

3 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Money buys you better players, better manager, better everything. You can go a long way with it, but you cannot go far without it.

Agreed. But plenty of football club owners have had money and not succeeded. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm confident. But we've been stung a lot by confidence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Lerner genuinely did invest the money to get us Champions League football. 

He walked the talk but O'Neil pissed it all away.  I saw a classic Premier League the other day which was an early season game where we beat an early Mansour Citeh side. We were both touted as top 4 contenders.  We had our recognised team of the 3rd/4th Lerner season but outside the starters the new bench already looked bloody awful with some proper expensive players who all turned out dreadful. 

This was when our wages were higher than Spurs and level with Arsenal. Luke Young, Nickey Shorey, Habib Beye, dreadful signings by MON on massive wages. 

So I don't blame Lerner from the investment point of view.  He invested the money required but he was a total f k wit.  Taken to the cleaners by MON who walked away when the frivolous tap was turned off. 

Xia was just a fraud. 

So I think it's unfair to tar the new owners with the brush of the past.  Lerner never made it up but was very badly served (his fault) and eventually looked after himself.  Xia was a fraud and we were never ever going to get the dream he sold. 

These guys 100% have the cash and the experience.  I don't want to feel suckered in again but I do believe them. 

True, MON wasted so much money and was so limited regarding signings & transfer targets. Stubborn, old fashioned git too.

Lerner also went through a very costly divorce right? The funds dried up quickly and we had to endure some tough times and really shitty managerial appointments.

Felt for Lambert, he never really had a chance to prove himself with all the constraints placed on him. Doubt he quite knew what he was walking into. Tough job & I suppose he did well to keep us up. Got some good results against the top teams too.

That transfer window was absolutely shocking though... couldn’t believe what I was seeing. The likes of Jordan Bowery FFS 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

So Amanda Stavely is doing the twitter rounds today doing a complete Jim Bowen 'look what yer couldda wun' to the damned NUFC fans, they appear to like it (S&M tendancies?) - anyhoos - key to that is she is saying that they intended to invest £250mill in the first few years - as well as all the other stuff that comes to a City from good investment. Well if NSWE do invest the same this year as last - we'll have matched the Saudi investment fund's plans, in 2 years, not a few years.  

Wonder what our marquee summer signing will be like, you have to think the owners would like to get one. Arguably we never got one when Lerner was spending millions (Carew came closest) when you think Spurs got in Van Der Vaart and Man. City signed Robinho within 24 hours of taking over.

Will it be a player with many years in champions league and lots of caps for a good standard national team or will we go for a promising lower league player e.g. Benrahama.

Interested to see how it goes.

Unless I am barking up the wrong tree, I see potential danger of a power struggle in the future.

It seems to me, that Johan Lange will report directly to the owners, who I believe were instrumental in appointing him......Christian Purslow, seems aligned to Dean Smith, CEO.....Hmmmmmmm

I see some cross overs of responsibility and authority and when Johan has the ear of the owners, little things get back.....I just hope they all get on....but ego's in football as they are .......as the song goes " There may be trouble ahead"

hope I am wrong.

Ps I think when such huge sums of money are involved, its hard to delegate that, you would be forever checking up and asking prickly questions......one owner needs to be on the job at least, signing the cheques....otherwise little bits of Empire building creeps in.....maybe, I'm just old fashioned.....HDE had many, many faults, but he had his finger on the pulse, every day....and they all knew who the boss was. ( never thought I would ever say that about the old crow.)

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Unless I am barking up the wrong tree, I see potential danger of a power struggle in the future.

It seems to me, that Johan Lange will report directly to the owners, who I believe were instrumental in appointing him......Christian Purslow, seems aligned to Dean Smith, CEO.....Hmmmmmmm

I see some cross overs of responsibility and authority and when Johan has the ear of the owners, little things get back.....I just hope they all get on....but ego's in football as they are .......as the song goes " There may be trouble ahead"

hope I am wrong.

Ps I think when such huge sums of money are involved, its hard to delegate that, you would be forever checking up and asking prickly questions......one owner needs to be on the job at least, signing the cheques....otherwise little bits of Empire building creeps in.....maybe, I'm just old fashioned.....HDE had many, many faults, but he had his finger on the pulse, every day....and they all knew who the boss was. ( never thought I would ever say that about the old crow.)

I agree that there is potential for a power struggle, but the battle lines may be drawn up differently. Lange may have been appointed by Purslow but he is a Wes Edens type of stats nerd guy who would most likely the type of man that Dean Smith would have worked with at Brentford and would be comfortable with. I could see Purslow being the odd one out of things went out of shape. 

Like you say, hopefully they all get on, play nicely and the club is the big beneficiary. 

4 hours ago, TRO said:

hope I am wrong.

you are definitely barking up the wrong tree. Has been no indication of any of your conspiracy

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

I agree that there is potential for a power struggle, but the battle lines may be drawn up differently. Lange may have been appointed by Purslow but he is a Wes Edens type of stats nerd guy who would most likely the type of man that Dean Smith would have worked with at Brentford and would be comfortable with. I could see Purslow being the odd one out of things went out of shape. 

Like you say, hopefully they all get on, play nicely and the club is the big beneficiary. 

Hope so.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

you are definitely barking up the wrong tree. Has been no indication of any of your conspiracy

No there has not but that doesnt mean it cant happen. All it takes is for someone to think they are above the rest and who wants more power in the club a d the sniping at one n other could start.

I dont think it will happen though, they are professional and I've a feeling that the Owners wouldnt tolerate an ass eater at the club who's trying to stir things up and is trying to get others fired and move into there roles or move his own people into those roles like a Coup D'etat.

Edited by Dave-R

19 hours ago, useless said:

Our owners haven't promised anything, just stated their ambitions, and even then in quite an ambiguous way that's open to more than one interpretation.

And it’s great isn’t it. The strong silent type of owner. I think we are in incredibly good hands

Edited by Follyfoot

15 hours ago, TRO said:

hope I am wrong.

It said in the press release he reports to the board. CP is on the board (I think) so in theory he is Lange's superior. Now obviously there are more people than Purslow on the board and maybe Lange will form a better relationship with someone else on the board. I mean we've all done similar in our own jobs, aligned ourselves to different people in charge because we just got on better with them.

It's like any firm, if there are politics at play then I would hope that the top brass intervene. It strikes me as an Edens data type appointment but I'd imagine Purslow also had a say in who gets hired. Also I assume Purslow knew that Edens would have wanted a more data based approach from the very start so targeting people like Lange this should really be no surprise to him.

P.S. On Doug - maybe its a case of absence making the heart grow fonder?😉

18 hours ago, TRO said:

hope I am wrong.

Well, he did treat Aston Villa as his own personal bank account, that is why he kept a tight rein on everything. Spoiled our chance of remaining a top club, and took us on a downward spiral we are still trying to turn around. I hope never to have another owner like him.

23 hours ago, useless said:

Our owners haven't promised anything, just stated their ambitions, and even then in quite an ambiguous way that's open to more than one interpretation.

but at the same time, I can only take them as a positive given everything they have done on and off the field.

You've been asked once. Please stay on topic, Villans. This thread is not about our previous owners or Chairman.

On 31/07/2020 at 09:34, TrentVilla said:

Please stay on topic....

• Like 1

Come on NSWE, splash that cash and worry about the income next year when we're in Europe. With Fifa counting the next two years as a joint FFP assessment,  this chance to spend big is likely the only chance we'll get to go big for a long time.  Sell that vision to the Abrahams and the Tonalis of the World. Let's do this!

• Like 1

Just watched the video of wes and naseef after the play off final win, being interviewed with purslow, what they said then is as true now as it was back then

Being back in the premier league is chapter one.

Â