The NSWE Board

Guest av1

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

It’ll be interesting to see what the owners would accept compared to having an unhappy player.  

Jack is not the type of person I dont think to start making song and dance over moves, if the Owners tell him hes to stay until his contract is out then Grealish is the type of player to concentrate on that at least.

It's a cut throat business football is and the Owners know that they have to get there hands dirty in order to keep our best players in order for us to stand a chance of even being relevant again in top flight.

Also think our Owners can afford to tie Grealish or anyone else down that has signed here at Villa, shouldn't be a problem convincing people to stay so long as the package is right.

The message needs to be clear, keep the players that make the difference, get rid of the ones that cant, we wont be successful if we let clubs come in and buy our best.

This is not the 90s anymore where clubs can buy our lads for cheap or because they say they can buy them. 

There would of been a time when theyd of stolen Grealish off us as soon as they turned in his direction, as quick as a magic trick. It doesnt happen like that anymore as clubs want to be paid what they are asking or it just doesnt happen as much, even championship teams are doing it now. Players are worth more to clubs than what money is these days, you know you have a stallion in your midst, you keep them at all costs.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, M_Afro said:

1. A structure exists despite the incumbents. People come and go but the structure and systems remain.

2. We have sacked all the persistently failing individuals and replaced them with people who have a bit of history of success. We are also looking to sign highly rated youth players.

3. Definitely hope. I think Smith was a poor appointment, albeit I can understand why they reached that decision. The next decision is massive and risky. Hopefully they will get it right.

Re 1. - the structure you talk about then is a CEO and a director of football - or sporting director.

We have had such a structure before with bullshiter supreme Steve Round 

I think you are giving way to much kudos to a structure of 1 or two people.

2. Who are you referring to ? - the guy we got from WBA whose name escapes me - again we've had such appointments before.

40 minutes ago, hippo said:

Re 1. - the structure you talk about then is a CEO and a director of football - or sporting director.

We have had such a structure before with bullshiter supreme Steve Round 

I think you are giving way to much kudos to a structure of 1 or two people.

2. Who are you referring to ? - the guy we got from WBA whose name escapes me - again we've had such appointments before.

1. We have changed the structure of our academy and scouting too. That’s also what I am talking about.

2. We have bought in a new head of academy and his assistant. These guys have had success comparative to us in the past. We are also targeting the best young players. They have a clear stated aim to make us the midlands premier academy. Sadly in my time supporting the club this has never been the case.

It’s all early days of course but the progress made so far has been very encouraging.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

They are certainly better than our last 2 owners hands down

With hindsight maybe but if you compared their year 1 and 2 to Randy's year 1 and 2 maybe evens the docs their are lots of similarities. 

Lots of communication with fans, investment in players, investment in the community and facilities, big words around long term plans.

The real test will be in 5 years time. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

With hindsight maybe but if you compared their year 1 and 2 to Randy's year 1 and 2 maybe evens the docs their are lots of similarities. 

Lots of communication with fans, investment in players, investment in the community and facilities, big words around long term plans.

They also have a track record in sport unlike Randy and the browns and unlike Dr Death they also have real money 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They also have a track record in sport unlike Randy and the browns and unlike Dr Death they also have real money 

That's all good and well but do they have the ambition?

12 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

That's all good and well but do they have the ambition?

What is ambition? Its not just money

Everton owner has ambitions and have wasted so much money 

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He has shown great ambition in actually now getting a proven manager in Carlo Anchellotti, a manager who has done something in the game.

I said it a few days ago, we need to be taking a leaf out of their book if we actually want to be a known as a big club again anytime soon.

Sadly I don't see that happening any time soon unless we stay in the PL this season.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

36 minutes ago, Zatman said:

To me it's have they got the nous to run a football club ?

Smith was an easy pick - should they dispense with him can they get anyone significantly better ? - that's the crux of the matter imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Not sure the database on here stretches long enough but sure if you look back between 2006-08 plenty of people were reassured by Lerner already running the Browns (although history showed he made some poor calls there like he did with us from 2010 onwards). Pretty sure in the early days we appointed on paper some decent people to run the club, Michael Cunnah I think is a name I remember and didn't we also appoint someone high up at Nike, Fitzgerald?

They didn't last long though. Whether they couldn't work on a daily basis with O'Neill I don't know but we then settled with Paul Faulkner as CEO which summed things up, taking the safe option to not upset the manager who then stormed off a year later anyway.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Wolves? Their owner was going on about turning Molineux into 50k ground a few months back, he knows to have a chance of filling it they need CL standard team and they could potentiall be two months from that.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2019/02/11/wolves-bosses-reiterate-plans-to-expand-molineux-capacity-toward-50000/

Chairman Jeff Shi added: "The most important thing is to have enough capacity. 40,000-50,000 is not a problem by my understanding. Wolves is like a sleeping giant.

"They were at the peak of the country 50 or 60 years ago. Many families, fathers and grandfathers watched Wolves. We have a long-term plan, of course.

"Regarding the long-term we want to be one of the best in Europe, but you have to do everything step by step. The first thing in our mindset is to stay in the league and build a strong team to compete next season.

Leicester? After their shock title win they could've just become another Blackburn but seems the ambition remains to establish them as regular european qualifiers and continue growing their "brand." Pretty commendable after the tragedy last season as the son could've easily just sold up and wanted nothing to do but clearly loves the club and wants to build on his Father's legacy. Got a good manager in who was under contract although they're doing a good impression of us from Feb 2009 onwards atm.

If you put in lines like you want to be playing CL football in 5 years you have to back up that action. Perhaps this was a year too early and going up caught us a bit out. I can only hopefully next time we're promoted if relegation happens they'll be more of a buy quality plan as we shouldn't have the excuse of needing over 10 new players.

• 4 weeks later...

They must feel on top of the world right now. 

They held their nerve so fair play to them. 

Over to you now guys to take this forward and fulfill your ambitions. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

They must feel on top of the world right now. 

They held their nerve so fair play to them. 

Over to you now guys to take this forward and fulfill your ambitions. 

If they're belligerent and smart now we'll be self sufficient within a few seasons they won't even have to put their own money in. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

With the potential stake being bought in Vitoria SC I think we could see the very best Portuguese and more Brazilians coming to villa in the next few seasons. Samba Samba!

I Hope So Kodak Black GIF

On 04/07/2020 at 11:18, cheltenham_villa said:

Not true, I don't think. The *real* test is each and every season. Saved us from bankruptcy. Piled in more money than most teams spent across Europe for a PL campaign. Wisely kept faith with the manager instead of panicking. Will undoubtedly spend again over the next few weeks.

Faultless.

• Like 1

Â