Christian Purslow

villan-scott

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

True. I just always look back to how he recruited Hogson for Liverpool though. Whilst his a good manager it just seem like crazy judgement for who the right person could be a for a particular team. 

You’re right though. We’re getting a bit carried away saying sack him.

I don't think Purslow is a football man we were led to believe but if sack all 3 we are back to square 1 so continuity is needed. Plus as said he seems to be sorting thimgs off the pitch. No betting sponsor is a big thing for me

Hopefully has learned from this so we aren't in the same situation again. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why?  Do you think he’s in tune with the clubs predicament and has a good plan for next season?

I think he’s a quality CEO and we couldn’t get anybody better

45 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I don't think Purslow is a football man we were led to believe but if sack all 3 we are back to square 1 so continuity is needed. Plus as said he seems to be sorting thimgs off the pitch. No betting sponsor is a big thing for me

Hopefully has learned from this so we aren't in the same situation again. 

I disagree.

What continuity is needed? Having the wrong people running things at the club as we have witnessed since 2010.

Maybe we need to go back to square one in order to start again in some areas.

It's okay sorting things off the pitch but it's football matters on and off the pitch that we need someone in control of and leave the "Fernando Torres of finance" to do what he is supposed to be good at - non football related matters.

I agree that the removal of betting sponsorship is a good move by the club but our new sponsor doesn't appear anymore appealing. Makes you wonder how much the deal is worth?

20 minutes ago, nick76 said:

He strike me as a bit of a control freak who is too much hands on with the footballing side of things.

I can see why he fell out with Rafa and i am concerned about him. As much as i am concerned with Suso and Smith.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Maybe he is. Im not sure why you think that though? Personally I think we should know the CEO’s name and thats it.  The rest should be based on results. 

• Like 2

Just now, Five Ken McNaughts said:

With the benefit of hindsight, Purslow’s post play-off interviews must have sounded rather arrogant to all those PL clubs who scrap for mid-table respectability with a mix of gnarly old pros and youngsters from the loan market. We let it be known in no uncertain terms that we looked down on that model. Perhaps we should have been watching and learning rather than pontificating. One way or another, I imagine there’ll be a bit more humility this summer.

Indeed, I remember watching that at the time and thinking Smith sat next to him looked like he was squirming in his seat.

It smacked of arrogance and it has bitten us in the behind, we did not follow through on that model at all. We are now currently being laughed at by all football fans....

The rhetoric was: "We are Aston Villa, we are not here to make up numbers but to compete". What a load of B******* which we spectacularly failed on delivering, just talk again we have all heard before no doubt to sell season tickets and merchandise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Sack Smith. Sack Suso. Sack Purslow. Sack Edens and Sawaris. Sack the squad. Sack the **** tea lady. This entire club needs to be restructured from the core.

No, no, no! Doris continues to do a fine job and should not be the subject of a witch-hunt. 

The rest of them can go though. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Indeed, I remember watching that at the time and thinking Smith sat next to him looked like he was squirming in his seat.

Squirming?

I'm pretty sure in that very same interview Deano said his aim was to "Finish first", "Otherwise what's the point"?

Which would be more squirm worthy? lol

People need to be rid of the conspiracy theories that everything is being forced on Dean and he has no input or agreement with the board on certain things.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Squirming?

I'm pretty sure in that very same interview Deano said his aim was to "Finish first", "Otherwise what's the point"?

Which would be more squirm worthy? lol

People need to be rid of the conspiracy theories that everything is being forced on Dean and he has no input or agreement with the board on certain things.

You are correct, it was preposterous.

I recall Smith seemed to be uneasy by much of what was said, possibly squirming as Purslow said alot and too much. Promises broken, empty vessels and all that 🤫

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Maybe he is. Im not sure why you think that though? Personally I think we should know the CEO’s name and thats it.  The rest should be based on results. 

Fair enough, if you just want to know about results then that's your choice but I want to know more about what is going on at the club. 

Results are obviously my primary concern but the health and well being of the club that will support the team is very much something I focus on.  The owners, the board, the recruitment set up, the facilities, the youth set up, the marketing/branding and many other things are something that I'm keen to understand what we are doing because they support the team directly or indirectly now and in the future.  Maybe because it's something I'm heavily involved in through my career through companies I have worked at and the overall strategy of the business hence when I look at Villa I look at the same things, I dont know. 

I think Purslow so far is a quality CEO.  So if you just link Purslow with only results then that is your choice because that is the game we are in but I'm looking at the broader role he does.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Just gotta keep sacking people until we stumble upon a midtable finish in the PL in 1 season, that's how we know we got a goodun.

I’m all for making people accountable but we just seem to be blaming one and all

• Like 1

We will find out how good he is if we go down , if the spending was within budget to protect us being wiped out if relegated so be it ....I worry we will still end up having to sell loads and piece together a squad on the cheap with loans...time will tell

54 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Fair enough, if you just want to know about results then that's your choice but I want to know more about what is going on at the club. 

Results are obviously my primary concern but the health and well being of the club that will support the team is very much something I focus on.  The owners, the board, the recruitment set up, the facilities, the youth set up, the marketing/branding and many other things are something that I'm keen to understand what we are doing because they support the team directly or indirectly now and in the future.  Maybe because it's something I'm heavily involved in through my career through companies I have worked at and the overall strategy of the business hence when I look at Villa I look at the same things, I dont know. 

I think Purslow so far is a quality CEO.  So if you just link Purslow with only results then that is your choice because that is the game we are in but I'm looking at the broader role he does.

What if he’s brilliant at all of the above but has very limited football knowledge and keeps making the incorrect decisions in that area?  I’m not saying that he will do that. But I can’t help thinking of Faulkner who was and is one of the best young business people around yet was responsible for appointing Mcleish.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What if he’s brilliant at all of the above but has very limited football knowledge and keeps making the incorrect decisions in that area?  I’m not saying that he will do that. But I can’t help thinking of Faulkner who was and is one of the best young business people around yet was responsible for appointing Mcleish.

You do realise that hiring a football manager isn't just done by the CEO?  The owners will be involved just along with others internally and externally.  Does the CEO hold most responsibility...yes! but so would owners in this situation!  Should the CEO be sacked if they keep picking bad managers....arguably yes.  If the CEO is great in other areas but not in the football hiring of managers, should they be fired....I would argue maybe not depending how great generally they are at the job.  Between the owners and the CEO they would work through a solution of how managers are hired differently, whatever that maybe....an external consultant or some other way.

Under Purslow, only Smith is the only new manager, so even if you were to blame Purslow it's his first hire.  It's also arguable that Smith was a failure.  We know your thoughts on Smith so we know the answer to that but hiring a manager who got promoted at first try and cup final isnt bad, in fact was a success and yes the chances of being relegated are high now and form has been poor but his first year in charge was successful, just the last six months have been poor.  

Focusing on Purslow, he is quality and no he shouldnt be fired or anywhere close to being fired for the "current" on the field issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think that’s a good point. Finding someone that is a very good businessman and who also knows a lot about football may not be realistic. If that’s the case he needs to recognise this and appoint a good football man. I feel Suso was a stop gap and best we could find at the time. Hopefully Purslow/NSWE have realised that he’s not the right man and have spent a lot of time and effort finding a much better replacement. In the modern game a DOF or whatever you want to call the position is very important and without a good one, no matter who the manager is, we will always be at a serious disadvantage. 

1 hour ago, Nabby said:

We will find out how good he is if we go down , if the spending was within budget to protect us being wiped out if relegated so be it ....I worry we will still end up having to sell loads and piece together a squad on the cheap with loans...time will tell

I actually think almost all of these players were signed with one eye on the event of relegation...

Â