Christian Purslow

villan-scott

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I actually think almost all of these players were signed with one eye on the event of relegation...

Could very well be so, I remember Purslow saying that we couldn't buy a whole new team of experienced PL players as their wages would be too high for a newly promoted club. So in practise that means our players are on sub PL wages and should therefore be of sub PL level. Quite well suited for the Championship.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Could very well be so, I remember Purslow saying that we couldn't buy a whole new team of experienced PL players as their wages would be too high for a newly promoted club. So in practise that means our players are on sub PL wages and should therefore be of sub PL level. Quite well suited for the Championship.

Even if we lose Jack and even Tyrone, this squad romps the Championship imo so they probably succeeded in that respect. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Even if we lose Jack and even Tyrone, this squad romps the Championship imo so they probably succeeded in that respect. 

Fully agree, also hard to see Luiz in the Championship. The rest of the squad would imo be the best in the Championship and if we can keep most of the squad intact agree they would romp the league.

I also understand the reasoning with bringing in the players and that we had to go for foreign ones because of the wages. Imo all our signings are good players who can succeed, even in the PL. In hindsight though I would probably have preferred five £25M players and a couple of loans and freebees instead.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I wouldn’t be so sure. The Stoke team last season looked ridiculously good for that league and look how they ended up. West Brom too. It’s a tough league if not up for the fight. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 minute ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Fully agree, also hard to see Luiz in the Championship. The rest of the squad would imo be the best in the Championship and if we can keep most of the squad intact agree they would romp the league.

I also understand the reasoning with bringing in the players and that we had to go for foreign ones because of the wages. Imo all our signings are good players who can succeed, even in the PL. In hindsight though I would probably have preferred five £25M players and a couple of loans and freebees instead.  

In hindsight, I agree. But I feel we would have been a couple of injuries away from really doing a Fulham and I guess that was the reasoning behind signing more quantity than quality. If we didn't get Trezeguet for example, as bad as he's been, he's still helped out...scored some crucial goals etc...we would have only had El Ghazi and Jota as wide players in the whole squad. One injury and we would have been royally screwed. 2 and we'd be done.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

But I can’t help thinking of Faulkner who was and is one of the best young business people around yet was responsible for appointing Mcleish.

Not sure about that, mate.

I'm sure he's a smart bloke but there are thousands destined to be similarly bland corporate execs following the same consulting route each year. Same could obviously be said for Purslow, but his track record of commercial deals is pretty impressive. Completely agree with the point you're making that this doesn't really mean anything in terms of footballing decisions.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I wouldn’t be so sure. The Stoke team last season looked ridiculously good for that league and look how they ended up. It’s a tough leave if not up for the fight. 

If we keep Smith, this is a team that has been there before just a year ago. Don't think we're a bloated, old squad full of egos. A lot of young players with a point to prove, especially after suffering heartbreak the previous year.

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

In hindsight, I agree. But I feel we would have been a couple of injuries away from really doing a Fulham and I guess that was the reasoning behind signing more quantity than quality. If we didn't get Trezeguet for example, as bad as he's been, he's still helped out...scored some crucial goals etc...we would have only had El Ghazi and Jota as wide players in the whole squad. One injury and we would have been royally screwed. 2 and we'd be done.

True, the injuries we have had has showed how vulnerable that would have been. We probably didn't have much other choice than doing it this way, also made sense to try and resign as many players as possible, sign players who knew DS and the style of play and players fitting into the system. A stark contrast to the previous regime with for example signing more right backs than we needed and leave us with one regular CB. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

True, the injuries we have had has showed how vulnerable that would have been. We probably didn't have much other choice than doing it this way, also made sense to try and resign as many players as possible, sign players who knew DS and the style of play and players fitting into the system. A stark contrast to the previous regime with for example signing more right backs than we needed and leave us with one regular CB. 

They all seemed like the right moves at the time, as noted by all the excitement on here during the summer. We were being priced out of a few transfers as well, Benrahma and Maupay come to mind. But we did everything in our power to build a team that could gel quickly and be competitive, and to be honest we've only just fell short. We certainly haven't done a Fulham at the very least.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I wouldn’t be so sure. The Stoke team last season looked ridiculously good for that league and look how they ended up. West Brom too. It’s a tough league if not up for the fight. 

Butland, Allen and Ince I agree are really good at that level, but the rest I'm not so sure. West Brom managed to keep many good players and also did well with their new signings, hope we can repeat that if we go down.

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

If we keep Smith, this is a team that has been there before just a year ago. Don't think we're a bloated, old squad full of egos. A lot of young players with a point to prove, especially after suffering heartbreak the previous year.

We've definetely some players we can work with. Engels - player in him. Konsa looks nervous at times and you'd wonder is he going to make it, you'd forget though he had about 70 league appearances for Charlton by the age of 20. We need to add. Covid 19 will make the window difficult for everyone, not just us.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Steve......is that you......Don’t worry we won’t forget to put wor boots on this time....😀

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Stoke had a lot of big players on big deals and were probably unmotivated for promotion if honest. They also hired a con artist in Rowett which didn't help.

We more than likely included relegation reductions in all our summer transfers

18 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Sack Smith. Sack Suso. Sack Purslow. Sack Edens and Sawaris. Sack the squad. Sack the **** tea lady. This entire club needs to be restructured from the core.

If we sack Doris then I am done with this club.

1 hour ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

The Times are saying today that Purslow voted for 5 subs, against Smith. If true, that is  either an administrative error or he is stupid.

That would sum our season up.

1 hour ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

The Times are saying today that Purslow voted for 5 subs, against Smith. If true, that is  either an administrative error or he is stupid.

Any link to that please mate as I can't find anything on this.

I like Purslow, my only issue is that I think he does like the spotlight a little.

He has helped rebuild the academy and from a commercial, financial perspective I think he is doing well. 

What he now needs to do is fill the most difficult position in modern football. 

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

If we sack Doris then I am done with this club.

I'm just saying, these past couple of years of terribleness we've had so many changes in squad, owners and managers yet nothing's changed. You know what's the constant? **** Doris.

Doris Out!!

• Haha 2

Â