Christian Purslow

villan-scott

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think Purslow will be with us as long as this ownership group is. I think he's more than capable of doing the job. I'm in no rush to think about getting rid.

Who would you get rid of? Suso? Anyone else? (I'm genuinely asking, not going for any sort of gotchas) 

On 19/07/2020 at 23:36, WooJung said:

Who would you get rid of? Suso? Anyone else? (I'm genuinely asking, not going for any sort of gotchas) 

I think there's definitely a case for Suso.

Ultimately we came from a long way back and though we spent a fortune last summer, we started with so little that it was always a big ask.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think there's definitely a case for Suso.

Ultimately we came from a long way back and thought we spent a fortune last summer, we started with so little that it was always a big ask.

I would tend to agree. 

I do however think the policy of only buying young and unproven/inexperienced (Heaton being the exception) proved to be very naive. But I'd like to think we wouldn't make that mistake twice. 

28 minutes ago, WooJung said:

I would tend to agree. 

I do however think the policy of only buying young and unproven/inexperienced (Heaton being the exception) proved to be very naive. But I'd like to think we wouldn't make that mistake twice. 

Thrice

2 hours ago, TRO said:

We simply don't know enough to make an informed decision.

We only hear the headlines, too much behind the scenes detail to be sure of anything.

But you're sure you want Smith out?

Genuine question. You in any doubt?

2 hours ago, TRO said:

It is never wise to clear everyone out at the same time......but there are more questions than answers.

I hope the club arrive at the right decisions......so much rides upon it.

I have said before......we need a Steve Stride character, he was the glue, that held it all together......Steve was a good judge of character and a trusted soul....we need someone like him.

Purslow has the right stuff IMO. Plus he's personally invested and I don't think he's a man who "loses" very often.

14 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

But you're sure you want Smith out?

Genuine question. You in any doubt?

Purslow has the right stuff IMO. Plus he's personally invested and I don't think he's a man who "loses" very often.

No, I am in doubt.....mainly due to our poor record of appointing managers.

Yes......I don't want a worse manager.....and I think tha could be likely.

I hear the arguments for continuity, and essenially agree with them.....i just can't reconcile, the shockingly poor results and while we had so many new players,i think a better job of putting them together and getting something out of them could have been made.

I am not one to sit by idly and think things are  going to change,when i see nothing to suggest to me they will......if some folk think it  will ,bully for them.

2 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

I was reading the Athletic article about the academy, and something that caught my eye was that Purslow was heavily involved in the restructuring and rebuilding/retooling of the academy. 

AggravatingEnlightenedHorseshoecrab-size

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

I was reading the Athletic article about the academy, and something that caught my eye was that Purslow was heavily involved in the restructuring and rebuilding/retooling of the academy. 

Yes he seems very eager to improve the youth setup. Thats one thing i strongly support from purslow

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Love it, great to see him letting his hair down and celebrating with everyone else. I lot was riding on today for him i assume, its likely that he held the final decision on dean a few weeks ago and today it has paid off.

I’m sure he said relegation would be a £200m hit to the finances so not surprising see him quite relieved!!

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

He’ll enjoy the next couple of days then straight back to business. 
Straight after the match, there’s been a photo of him and Smith on the phone to the owners. Now next stage of plan is implemented. 

One big positive from last year was, the plan was set and put in place immediately. People may object to the plan but they had one and stuck to it. Same again please.

• Like 1

On 20/07/2020 at 00:45, WooJung said:

I would tend to agree. 

Not sure that was the problem per se, it was more a numbers thing. The problem isn't young and hungry, it's we gambled at the level we could buy at, we were forced to be in the market at an ave of £10m a player. You get no guarantees doing that, not many of the gambles really paid off, or at least not enough of them together for a sustained period for us to get any kind of momentum. Some might still come off though. 

Now this summer, we don't have to buy 15 players, we can have a similar spend and be in the market for ave £25m players, possibly more. If you buy potential in that price bracket it's much less of a gamble and if it comes off you have a very talented player on your books. Thinking of sell on value I'm all for buying younger players, and in terms of building a team with longevity, if you can bring a core through together that can play together at their peak for a good few years that's how you win things. 

I'm also not suggesting it should be an exclusive policy, I think there is always room for a few old heads in any team/squad.

3 hours ago, romavillan said:

Not sure that was the problem per se, it was more a numbers thing. The problem isn't young and hungry, it's we gambled at the level we could buy at, we were forced to be in the market at an ave of £10m a player. You get no guarantees doing that, not many of the gambles really paid off, or at least not enough of them together for a sustained period for us to get any kind of momentum. Some might still come off though. 

Now this summer, we don't have to buy 15 players, we can have a similar spend and be in the market for ave £25m players, possibly more. If you buy potential in that price bracket it's much less of a gamble and if it comes off you have a very talented player on your books. Thinking of sell on value I'm all for buying younger players, and in terms of building a team with longevity, if you can bring a core through together that can play together at their peak for a good few years that's how you win things. 

I'm also not suggesting it should be an exclusive policy, I think there is always room for a few old heads in any team/squad.

Yes the numbers in will be less than last year but I hope the quality will be a bit higher.

I expect another in house cosy interview with Purslow shortly.

Still by large he is done a good job. Light years better than our previous CEO's.

Â