Christian Purslow

villan-scott

45 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's not people having a differing opinion that bothers me.  Absolutely fine.

It's that threads all over the shop get derailed with digs about Purslow for absolutely no reason.

There clearly be reasons for people to make comment on it in the first place though?

If there are no criticisms then it means everything is going fine. The fact that there is then there must be a reason behind it and not just for the sake of sakes.

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I disagree.

In all fairness, If you think things are solely based on the "appointment of Gerrard" then I think you have some catching up to do.

I also need some catching up then. Why else don't you like him? From what I've seen it really does seem like Gerrard appointment is the main reason from most

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

So, is Heck now his boss?

The statement opens a can of worms.

Generally not, but Purslow will have to feed into Heck for the commercial side of villa. It might even be that Purslow no longer has responsibility for villa's commercial operations,but will no doubt have some involvement I would have thought. 

8 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I also need some catching up then. Why else don't you like him? From what I've seen it really does seem like Gerrard appointment is the main reason from most

I think the Gerrard reason for many has been spoke of more frequent than most of the other reasons that get mentioned.

If I was to list everything else it would probably take me a week to do so and it's not something I have time to do sadly.

I highlight the pros aswell cons with the man, sadly there appear to more cons than pros.. in my opinion anyway.

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

41 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think the Gerrard reason for many has been spoke of more frequent than most of the other reasons that get mentioned.

If I was to list everything else it would probably take me a week to do so and it's not something I have time to do sadly.

I highlight the pros aswell cons with the man, sadly there appear to more cons than pros.. in my opinion anyway.

genuinely staggered by this...theres really that many criticisms you have of his time with us? go on then...how about just giving me the top 5?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

genuinely staggered by this...theres really that many criticisms you have of his time with us? go on then...how about just giving me the top 5?

Thanks Tomav. When I get round to it I'll PM you. ;)

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It does appear so according to the statement from the Villa website.

There is nothing in that statement that says that Purslow will now report into Heck.  Heck works for V-Sports.  Purslow works for Villa.  Purslow's role as CEO of Villa covers a much wider area than Heck's remit within V-Sports.  Some of the work that Heck does will without question impact on stuff happening at Villa - i.e. I can see us trying to negotiate a Shirt Sponsorship deal across the whole V-Sports network (on the basis that 1 deal with gives a company exposure in 5 or 6 countries is probably worth more than 5 deals that give access to a single market).  But I suspect we will have a global strategy and a local strategy - both of which will feed into each other. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

You're the one talking nonstop these past few pages about wanting to be heard and have a debate/discussion regarding Purslow, but instead of stating anything besides "hE aPpOiNtEd GeRrArD!11!!1!!1" you act like it's a huge laundry list of egregious offenses that are too long to post when we're all sitting here very confused.  

Air them out and let's actually have a discussion then...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

I've literally gone back 25 pages in this thread and the only things I can find are:

1. Gerrard...  Over and over and over again.
  2. Coutinho - 100% his decision, apparently...
  3. Sawiris thinks he's incompetent, apparently, and had to step in and unilaterally sack Gerrard and appoint Emery himself without including Purslow in the conversations - Completely unfounded conspiracies
  4. He was a Liverpool fan growing up
  5. Liverpool & Chelsea fans don't like him from when he was with their clubs so we shouldn't like him either
  6. He's a shady/untrustworthy person with no reasons other than...  Gerrard
  7. Other than making every wrong decision at the club, he is nothing more than a glorified secretary who does nothing but photo ops and takes credit for successes he had no part in (because all the good that's been done at the club is 100% done without him, apparently)

Sorry, but this huge list of criticisms just doesn't exist and he doesn't want to take the time to think of a bunch of legit ones and post them for an actual conversation, so it's much easier to just say "Trust me, mate, they're bad!".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Generally not, but Purslow will have to feed into Heck for the commercial side of villa. It might even be that Purslow no longer has responsibility for villa's commercial operations,but will no doubt have some involvement I would have thought. 

I don’t think it’s just the commercial side, it’s president of business operations. 

The role suggests Heck will oversee the V Sports business operations worldwide and Purslow I would suggest, will have to submit business plans both operational and commercial to Heck for approval. The owners will also be able to take a further step back.

At the end of the day Purslow is CEO of Villa and Heck will be the President of V Sports which Villa feed into, so makes sense and ensures the responsibilities of the other clubs don’t interfere in Purslow’s role at Villa.

The likelihood is Purslow runs Villa (the UK) and reports direct to NSWE and Heck runs the separate section of V Sports and also reports directly to NSWE.

Management of a large group is unlikely to be linear.  Our head of UK does not report to the head of Europe or the head of North America, but they will all report to the main board.

• Like 3

its difficult to judge CEOs on the successful appointment of managers, especially in a season when i think all but 6 clubs have changed manager. 

I think on Gerrard he may have been guilty of recruiting Gerrard based on his commercial appeal rather than football but i also recognise that they were trying to achieve two things.

Generally though, the club is on an upwards trajectory on and off the pitch so its difficult to say he hasnt been successful. 

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Erm you are aware that was under tony xia and purslow wasnt here then??

So that makes it even more remarkable.

Who bought in smith??

That wasn't the point he was making. He said we were promoted a year early. I was merely countering that and saying that's simply revisionist and false.

The not being needed to be promoted in 2019 stance was something Purslow insisted was the case back in late 2018. 

So if it’s a lie, then it’s a lie he (and the club) at least has been consistent with. 

I’m sure there are accounts that can now be shown to show we would have been in trouble. I guess it means he and the owners have a very good poker face. To the point of spending millions during that first January window on what amounted to a sub keeper. Seems slightly reckless to me, spending a large amount of money when promotion looked far from certain, and Purslow and the owners don’t strike me as being reckless.

Edit - agreeing to buy Guilbert as well. Not exactly the most frugal of decisions, commit to buying a player who you then allow to continue to play for the selling club. 

Edited by Mark Albrighton

23 minutes ago, est1874 said:

That wasn't the point he was making. He said we were promoted a year early. I was merely countering that and saying that's simply revisionist and false.

In terms of objectives for NSWE and Purslow I'm sure they've gone on record to say we got promoted earlier than they thought we would.  It meant we basically had about a third of a squad going into the PL.  As Dem says, the years before they took over are largely irrelevant except considering the mess they inherited.

Â