Christian Purslow

villan-scott

46 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's possible to criticise a number of things that appear to be in his realm of responsibility. Not everyone will have the same criticisms, but here's a few:

The recent increase in season ticket and match ticket prices - when people are already struggling (and yes the club's costs have gone up too, I acknowledge)  - they're well above inflation. Some are egregious, given, for example, the state of the North Stand

Last season's increase in season ticket prices and the change of category of some sections of the ground. Again massively over inflation.

The move to these premium type seating places in the Holte End. It feels wrong to me.

The "justification" for these price increases is feeble - other clubs fleece their fans, so we will too - is the gist of it.

The choice of another betting company as sponsor.

Some fans will say that "well we need money to compete", and I accept that to a point, but I'm not willing to BOHICA (google it if you don't know - it's safe to do so).

His little video after the Grealish sale  - it was petty calling him "Greedlish" in it. Who negotiated and signed up the contract with the £100 mill selling clause? Purslow. Great. Good businesss, perhaps, but don't then get all mardy when it's exercised. We were all gutted, but the CEO should have more decorum than he showed in that video.

The "suspicion" (hi, libel lawyers, if you're reading) that his involvement in the choice to sign Danny Ings was er, rather more than appropriate for the CEO.

The (again, hello lawyers) "suspicion" that the choice of Gerrard as manager was very strongly driven by Purslow's views on Gerrard.

There are others, but some one asked for 5 or so, so there's at least 5.

On the flip side, he's clearly highly capable, works hard, is driven to succeed and has achieved a great deal and been an integral part in the recovery of the club back towards where we'd all like it to be. He gets things done. He's good at his job, smart, communicates well and seems a much more capable CEO that we've had for a very long time.

I agree with the criticisms - especially on the rising costs. But with the Grealish stuff - I don’t recall him saying Greedlish though. Grealish’s camp insisted on a release clause though, and he had almost joined Man United months earlier for a smaller fee. It was sensible to put a fee few if any clubs would pay. 

Edited by The_Steve
Clarifying points

3 hours ago, blandy said:

His little video after the Grealish sale  - it was petty calling him "Greedlish" in it. Who negotiated and signed up the contract with the £100 mill selling clause? Purslow. Great. Good businesss, perhaps, but don't then get all mardy when it's exercised. We were all gutted, but the CEO should have more decorum than he showed in that video.

Stand corrected here but don’t recall him saying “Greedlish” in that video? I’ll hold my hands up in advance if he did though. 

2 hours ago, blandy said:

It's possible to criticise a number of things that appear to be in his realm of responsibility. Not everyone will have the same criticisms, but here's a few:

The recent increase in season ticket and match ticket prices - when people are already struggling (and yes the club's costs have gone up too, I acknowledge)  - they're well above inflation. Some are egregious, given, for example, the state of the North Stand

Last season's increase in season ticket prices and the change of category of some sections of the ground. Again massively over inflation.

The move to these premium type seating places in the Holte End. It feels wrong to me.

The "justification" for these price increases is feeble - other clubs fleece their fans, so we will too - is the gist of it.

The choice of another betting company as sponsor.

Some fans will say that "well we need money to compete", and I accept that to a point, but I'm not willing to BOHICA (google it if you don't know - it's safe to do so).

The "suspicion" (hi, libel lawyers, if you're reading) that his involvement in the choice to sign Danny Ings was er, rather more than appropriate for the CEO.

The (again, hello lawyers) "suspicion" that the choice of Gerrard as manager was very strongly driven by Purslow's views on Gerrard.

There are others, but some one asked for 5 or so, so there's at least 5.

On the flip side, he's clearly highly capable, works hard, is driven to succeed and has achieved a great deal and been an integral part in the recovery of the club back towards where we'd all like it to be. He gets things done. He's good at his job, smart, communicates well and seems a much more capable CEO that we've had for a very long time.

wouldn't the majority of those criticisms be driven by ibbetson though? i.e. season ticket prices, holte end premium area etc. i'd imagine that's her remit, and is below purslow's pay grade. i posted a page or 2 ago, does the tesco CEO decide how much to charge for tins of beans? i appreciate things work differently in football but i'm going to play devils advocate and say purslow has little to do with season ticket prices. i'd put the betting company in this same section too...but in any case, whilst the owners are minted, the CLUB needs money and they need to maximise how much is coming through the doors. if that means a betting sponsor, more expensive season tickets, and a fancy terrace to draw in tourists then it is what it is.

Just now, ferguson1 said:

Stand corrected here but don’t recall him saying “Greedlish” in that video? I’ll hold my hands up in advance if he did though. 

yeah i didn't hear that either...and if it sounds like he did, i'm going to bet that it absolutely wasn't intentional. if it was that obvious, surely a bigger deal would've been made of it?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

wouldn't the majority of those criticisms be driven by ibbetson though? i.e. season ticket prices, holte end premium area etc. i'd imagine that's her remit, and is below purslow's pay grade. i posted a page or 2 ago, does the tesco CEO decide how much to charge for tins of beans? i appreciate things work differently in football but i'm going to play devils advocate and say purslow has little to do with season ticket prices. i'd put the betting company in this same section too...but in any case, whilst the owners are minted, the CLUB needs money and they need to maximise how much is coming through the doors. if that means a betting sponsor, more expensive season tickets, and a fancy terrace to draw in tourists then it is what it is.

We have a massive waiting list for season tickets...  Basic economics will dictate that prices will rise until demand drops to match the supply.  It doesn't matter who was in charge at the club, it would have happened regardless.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

That was down to bad recruitment which typified our championship years, doesn't mean we were promoted too early. It really depends what way you're looking at it, but either way I'd consider us lucky to get out of that **** league at all given the way things were going. I refuse to credit Purslow with it either way, it was effectively more to do with Jack Grealish finally coming good on his potential at exactly the right time for us.

You're right...  Sacking Bruce and appointing Smith had nothing to do with our promotion.  It was 100% the result of Jack Grealish.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

yeah i didn't hear that either...and if it sounds like he did, i'm going to bet that it absolutely wasn't intentional. if it was that obvious, surely a bigger deal would've been made of it?

A few of the pundits commented on that video and how much sense it made to put it out, including Henry Winter and Gary Linekar. If Purslow had said that it would've been all over the media. He's a businessman he doesn't get emotional or bothered about this stuff. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

Yeah i didn't hear that either...and if it sounds like he did, i'm going to bet that it absolutely wasn't intentional. if it was that obvious, surely a bigger deal would've been made of it?

He's "clever" the way he does it, but it's there as per the post I just made above.

I was really surprised no one picked up on it, too.

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

wouldn't the majority of those criticisms be driven by ibbetson though? i.e. season ticket prices, holte end premium area etc. i'd imagine that's her remit, and is below purslow's pay grade.

No chance he didn't approve or indeed wasn't involved in the discussion and decision. None at all.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

He's "clever" the way he does it, but it's there as per the post I just made above.

I was really surprised no one picked up on it, too.

I just watched it a bunch of times and I’m pretty sure he just says Grealish. Rhythm is a bit weird because of the clunky recording perhaps, but I think you’re imagining the ‘d’.

19 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm sure it was the video glitching midway through 'Grealish'

Heck of a coincidence, eh? But fair enough.

Anyway, it was a single thing from a list I posted. I'm not a particular fan or critic of CP, either way, but like anyone in a job, they've got their strengths, weaknesses and foibles. We're all human.

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

Heck of a coincidence, eh? But fair enough.

Anyway, it was a single thing from a list I posted. I'm not a particular fan or critic of CP, either way, but like anyone in a job, they've got their strengths, weaknesses and foibles. We're all human.

Literally says "Grealish" and the video glitches.  You're making something out of nothing.  The fact that this is even on your list of reasons you hold against the man is hilariously petty and pathetically sad.  

6 minutes ago, KMitch said:

The fact that this is even on your list of reasons you hold against the man is hilariously petty and pathetically sad.  

Gee, thanks. Enjoy your evening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

No chance he didn't approve or indeed wasn't involved in the discussion and decision. None at all.

agree. the same way that there's no chance the owners/advisors didn't approve the decision to appoint gerrard yet for reasons unknown purslow is given 100% of the blame

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Of all the threads on VT this one is the most bizzare. 

yeah time for me to bow out i think. purslow is just the villain du jour. in time there will be a new one and purslow will be liked again (hopefully due to a sucessful summer)

• Like 2

Â