Christian Purslow

villan-scott

We’re bringing in Alemany to look after the Football recruitment side of things, more or less and Heck for the commercial revenue side. So that leaves some admin and appointing a contractor for the new North Stand development left for Purslow. Not many photo opportunities their for our CEO there unless he goes back to waiting on the edge of the pitch to high-five the players?

Given Wes’s experience in sports stadia development I wouldn’t even be overly confident that Purslow is really required in that respect either. The chances of him being big drinking buddies with local Birmingham councillors is about equal to me having a beer with Jennifer Anniston. 

So admin it is then. Pretty expensive for a glorified secretary. No offence to secretaries. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think that's the case at all.

Purslow decides what we're going to do - that's his job.

I've been lucky enough to have sat in meetings with him on a number of occasions and I can tell you this - he's not a cuddly chap, he's a natural born capitalist, he wants to eek every single penny out of every single opportunity - if he could sell season ticket holders kidney's as a condition of having the ticket, he would, and if slitting my throat meant that Villa would get an additional three points next season, I can't see him pausing too long with the knife, if we could make an extra five million a year being sponsored by Putin, he'd take it - he is what he is, he's going to want to empty your wallet and he'll smooth talk you while he's doing it - I've seen him paint a pretty picture, tell an outright lie and make eight sound like eleven - he's all that.

But...

At those meetings, he's told us on a number of occasions exactly what he wants to do - and we have then gone on to do every single one of those things. Every single one.

At the very first meeting he attended, he told us our academy had slipped well behind in the region, that he didn't want that, that Albion had stolen a march on us and had the best Academy in the country, A few years later, small heaths Academy is on the verge of collapse, the team that made Albion's academy so good all work for us, the best prospects from those academies are playing for us, we've built a new facility that's mile better than anything else in the region and we're adding a second new facility in Aston that's going to significantly help us with competitive advantage - we've gone from being a straggler in the region to being one of the best in the country.

At another meeting he talked about our ladies teams and about small heath having become the leader in the region - how that matters because we are who we are and it's important that the club is recognised as a leader in everything we do -  a couple of seasons on and small heaths team is nowhere, we're competing at the top table with star players and having to open more and more parts of Villa Park to deal with the demand for tickets.

He told us that the stadium would be improved and it's happening.

He told us that the first team would be improved and it's happening, that we'd be competing at the right end of the table and we are.

He told us he'd fight the super league idea with everything he has and he's done that, successfully so far.

He told us we'd improve the training facilities at Bodymoor and we did.

He told us we'd be FFP compliant with room to spend and we are.

He told us he'd make sure that the gambling ban matched with our sponsorship plans and it has.

He told us that he really liked Steven Gerrard, and that the data from Lange backed him up as a really good prospect and someone who matched his idea of us as an up and coming club - that he really wanted Gerrard in because he liked him, but that the information backed the decision - that that's how we do things.

He told us that the board told him to "go out and find an elite manager" and that the time was right for the up and coming Villa idea to be replaced with a big-club-now mentality after Gerrard's sacking and that again, everything in the data, the information and the feel made Emery the right man for the role when he approached him.

He's emptying our wallets, he's doing some things that aren't always the way fans would want it, but every time he's told us we're going to do something - we do it. 

And that's where he's not admin - because he's not just responsible for doing those things, he's responsible for deciding which of those things we spend more or less of our time and effort on - it's Purslow that decides whether we spend more time working on Bodymoor or Villa Park, whether we put money into the ladies team or the Holte End kiosks, whether we try to make an alliance with Newcastle and Brighton in league meetings or butter up Liverpool and United, whether we allow a manager to buy ten players at £10m each or keep a squad at a certain number but make sure we can invest in quality.

He makes those decisions, he decides the direction of the club, he is responsible for ensuring we grow - it's nothing like an admin job.

At some point I might not be able to afford to watch it, and I might have to sit at the back for the privilege while the good seats are all padded and prawned, but if he continues to deliver on the things he promises, I might see us win things - that'll do for me.

I’m totally incredulous that you’re claiming that Unai Emery’s appointment was down to him. I’m also amazed that the data backed the appointment of Gerrard. I can easily believe the bit about liking him. However there was zero evidence of any proper due diligence being carried out before that appointment.

I live up in Scotland now and most Rangers fans I know said they always thought that Beale was the brains of the operation. So if they knew it, how come the super sharp operator CEO of Aston Villa didn’t? Given that we had no competition for him and he hasn’t had a job since it would appear that plenty of people less talented than Mr Purslow can at least spot a chancer when they see one. 

Other poor decisions include the permanent signature of Philip Coutinho. The loan deal was great, a chance to have a look at a once unbelievably talent and see if he’s still got what it takes. Then if sadly it appears he hasn’t, then no harm done, shake his hand and wish him well. After the whole world could see he’d probably lost his sparkle to then sign him permanently and on a big contract beggars belief. Stevie G wanted him and that was all that mattered, would Unai have sanctioned that?

Everything you say that he’s driven is pretty obvious to be fair. Recognising that the academy had slipped and developing BMH hardly required out of the box thinking. saying that we’ve successfully overtaken WBA and SHA in any criteria sounds like a Doug Ellis type statement.

So the CEO can hold his own in a room full of fans and sound ruthless when putting fans prices up. Is he half as capable and ruthless in a room full of businessmen of the standard of his two bosses? I doubt it and if his main plan to increase revenue is to fleece the fans and drive ordinary supporters away then I despair. The fact that the club, Purslow or NSWE? are about to appoint Chris Heck to develop revenue streams would suggest that the club agree. Driving away the fan base is wrong on every level and hardly sustainable. Stupidity on a Steven Gerrard appointment level. Yeah I know that there’s a waiting list, most jobs are easy in the good times, what’s he going to do when for whatever reason demand drops and the ordinary fan has been driven away? 

As for forming alliances at PL meetings with clubs, I doubt that your example of Newcastle will happen given his recent interview. I’d say that was ill advised too, given that as a club with very rich owners, our attempts to close the gap on  the top 6 is dependent on using that wealth as efficiently as we can, pushing the rules as far as possible, not encouraging more regulation. We need to be clever.

If he told me it was raining outside, I’d still lookout of the window before taking a coat. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In any other company which has become more successful year on year... since the incumbent joined, the CEO would be lauded.

Yet in our distorted VT world, most time the thread is bumped, it's someone having a non educated pop at ours. lol

Now he's being called " Glorified Admin " ffs.

You love the owners ( Extremely wealthy, successful and astute businessmen with businesses in multiple fields/industries ) and think they know what they are doing, but think they have a halfwit running their potential multi billion pound assets.

Words fail me.

JV I think they got Purslow in at the beginning because he was a capable CEO at a time when we had fat Keith and virtually no structure at all. NSWE were inexperienced as far as football is concerned and so needed all the basic things a modern football club need. He did a good enough job at the time but I think that the club and the owners have out grown him now.

In recent years in some respects we have stagnated to some extent. All that changed dramatically with the arrival of Unai. Yes he’s an elite coach but it’s much more than that. He’s worked at some big clubs and with some very talented people. He’s seen first hand how big clubs work and suddenly we’re appointing big hitters in upper management roles that we’ve never had before. 

It’s difficult to come to any conclusion other than Unai Emery is the catalyst for this remarkable transition. The likes of Christian Purslow are running to even keep up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

He told us that he really liked Steven Gerrard, and that the data from Lange backed him up as a really good prospect and someone who matched his idea of us as an up and coming club - that he really wanted Gerrard in because he liked him, but that the information backed the decision - that that's how we do things.

This is baloney sir. If it did, our data is of a very poor quality. What were we looking for? Wins against Arbroath? 

Plus the delay in biffing him of course. I feel like 85% of fans could see the wheels were off back end of last year and in pre-season this year. 

Purslow has done some good, some bad. IMO he's looked on a bit too favourably because of the dross before him. He's got resources very few in his role do, to do whatever he wants. And we still ended up with Gerrard as manager and wasted money on Coutinho and Digne.

The other things...what good CEO wouldn't want to improve the women's team? The youth team? The training ground? The stadium? These aren't genius moves - they are necessary.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In any other company which has become more successful year on year... since the incumbent joined, the CEO would be lauded.

Yet in our distorted VT world, most time the thread is bumped, it's someone having a non educated pop at ours. lol

Absolutely mate, as @OutByEaster? put brilliantly above, CP has delivered pretty much everything he has said he would do. 

What I also find interesting is that CP has made 3 appointments, 2 worked 1 didn’t, and he’s getting pelters for 1 poor appointment.

But if CP is so crap at his job, why are those same fans not giving our owners grief for appointing, and retaining CP? 

Just be absolutely clear, our owners are flipping wonderful so I’m not suggesting we jump on them either if they made a mistake, i just find it interesting people are jumping all over CP seemingly just because of the Gerrard appointment, even though there is no way that decision was his alone. 

46 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Now he's being called " Glorified Admin " ffs.

You love the owners ( Extremely wealthy, successful and astute businessmen with businesses in multiple fields/industries ) and think they know what they are doing, but think they have a halfwit running their potential multi billion pound assets.

Words fail me.

100% this...  Some need to grow the fook up.  Misery loves company and somehow the unhappy Villa fans all seem to congregate on VillaTalk.  Some of the worst football takes I've ever seen are these unfounded conspiracy theories about Purslow I've read on here.  We're on the cusp of something great at the moment and some just want to moan about something instead.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

100% this...  Some need to grow the fook up.  Misery loves company and somehow the unhappy Villa fans all seem to congregate on VillaTalk.  Some of the worst football takes I've ever seen are these unfounded conspiracy theories about Purslow I've read on here.  We're on the cusp of something great at the moment and some just want to moan about something instead.  

Exactly. There’s been some very good input on here (OBE and JV above as an example) but the hard facts are that when CP was appointed we were in the verge of becoming a Forest or Leeds, traditionally big clubs that were looking at a long stay in the championship. 

Fast forward a couple of years and we are potentially 2 wins from Europe. Not to mention an academy that is thriving, a women’s team thst have gone from relegation fights to 5th, and finally a shinny new north stand to look forward to. 

Yes our fabulous owners deserve all the love in the world, but they appointed CP to deliver it……and he has. 

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

1. However there was zero evidence of any proper due diligence being carried out before that appointment.

2. So the CEO can hold his own in a room full of fans and sound ruthless when putting fans prices up. Is he half as capable and ruthless in a room full of businessmen of the standard of his two bosses? I doubt it and if his main plan to increase revenue is to fleece the fans and drive ordinary supporters away then I despair. The fact that the club, Purslow or NSWE? are about to appoint Chris Heck to develop revenue streams would suggest that the club agree. Driving away the fan base is wrong on every level and hardly sustainable. Stupidity on a Steven Gerrard appointment level. Yeah I know that there’s a waiting list, most jobs are easy in the good times, what’s he going to do when for whatever reason demand drops and the ordinary fan has been driven away? 

On point 1, what evidence do you expect to see? Have you ever seen that from any club hiring a manager?

Point 2, so you think someone who negotiated massive commercial deals for Chelsea and Liverpool, and has got our highest ever deals, doesn’t get respect from other businessmen? 

11 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

so you think someone who negotiated massive commercial deals for Chelsea and Liverpool, and has got our highest ever deals, doesn’t get respect from other businessmen? 

Genuine questions..

Why is it that Chelsea and Liverpool fans couldn't wait to see the back of him and despise him still to this day?

If he was so good and so succesful, why is he not still at Chelsea or his beloved Liverpool?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

On point 1, what evidence do you expect to see? Have you ever seen that from any club hiring a manager?

Point 2, so you think someone who negotiated massive commercial deals for Chelsea and Liverpool, and has got our highest ever deals, doesn’t get respect from other businessmen? 

Well we didn’t exact have to fight off any competition for him and the fact he hasn’t had a job since would suggest even some gentle probing, steady lads, would have revealed a lack of quality somewhere in his managerial skills. 

I’m not sure his time at Liverpool won him many friends and if he’s so utterly brilliant why was he unemployed at the time and how could a mid table championship club possibly obtain the services of such a clearly brilliant man? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Exactly, it’s not just Gerrard. CP has brought in some other questionable football people as well. As for Lange, we’ll see how much input he’ll be allowed to have going forward.

Update: looks like Lange will have plenty of input anyway.

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think that's the case at all.

Purslow decides what we're going to do - that's his job.

I've been lucky enough to have sat in meetings with him on a number of occasions and I can tell you this - he's not a cuddly chap, he's a natural born capitalist, he wants to eek every single penny out of every single opportunity - if he could sell season ticket holders kidney's as a condition of having the ticket, he would, and if slitting my throat meant that Villa would get an additional three points next season, I can't see him pausing too long with the knife, if we could make an extra five million a year being sponsored by Putin, he'd take it - he is what he is, he's going to want to empty your wallet and he'll smooth talk you while he's doing it - I've seen him paint a pretty picture, tell an outright lie and make eight sound like eleven - he's all that.

But...

At those meetings, he's told us on a number of occasions exactly what he wants to do - and we have then gone on to do every single one of those things. Every single one.

At the very first meeting he attended, he told us our academy had slipped well behind in the region, that he didn't want that, that Albion had stolen a march on us and had the best Academy in the country, A few years later, small heaths Academy is on the verge of collapse, the team that made Albion's academy so good all work for us, the best prospects from those academies are playing for us, we've built a new facility that's mile better than anything else in the region and we're adding a second new facility in Aston that's going to significantly help us with competitive advantage - we've gone from being a straggler in the region to being one of the best in the country.

At another meeting he talked about our ladies teams and about small heath having become the leader in the region - how that matters because we are who we are and it's important that the club is recognised as a leader in everything we do -  a couple of seasons on and small heaths team is nowhere, we're competing at the top table with star players and having to open more and more parts of Villa Park to deal with the demand for tickets.

He told us that the stadium would be improved and it's happening.

He told us that the first team would be improved and it's happening, that we'd be competing at the right end of the table and we are.

He told us he'd fight the super league idea with everything he has and he's done that, successfully so far.

He told us we'd improve the training facilities at Bodymoor and we did.

He told us we'd be FFP compliant with room to spend and we are.

He told us he'd make sure that the gambling ban matched with our sponsorship plans and it has.

He told us that the board told him to "go out and find an elite manager" and that the time was right for the up and coming Villa idea to be replaced with a big-club-now mentality after Gerrard's sacking and that again, everything in the data, the information and the feel made Emery the right man for the role when he approached him.

He's emptying our wallets, he's doing some things that aren't always the way fans would want it, but every time he's told us we're going to do something - we do it. 

And that's where he's not admin - because he's not just responsible for doing those things, he's responsible for deciding which of those things we spend more or less of our time and effort on - it's Purslow that decides whether we spend more time working on Bodymoor or Villa Park, whether we put money into the ladies team or the Holte End kiosks, whether we try to make an alliance with Newcastle and Brighton in league meetings or butter up Liverpool and United, whether we allow a manager to buy ten players at £10m each or keep a squad at a certain number but make sure we can invest in quality.

He makes those decisions, he decides the direction of the club, he is responsible for ensuring we grow - it's nothing like an admin job.

At some point I might not be able to afford to watch it, and I might have to sit at the back for the privilege while the good seats are all padded and prawned, but if he continues to deliver on the things he promises, I might see us win things - that'll do for me.

Yeah, but Gerrard

• Haha 1

Â