Christian Purslow

villan-scott

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

If he told me it was raining outside, I’d still lookout of the window before taking a coat. 

The only sensible comment in your post.  Well done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Genuine questions..

Why is it that Chelsea and Liverpool fans couldn't wait to see the back of him and despise him still to this day?

If he was so good and so succesful, why is he not still at Chelsea or his beloved Liverpool?

Gerrard retired and Liverpool wouldn't hire him as a manager so Christian went off to find a club who would.

• Haha 1

Genuine questions..

Why is it that Chelsea and Liverpool fans couldn't wait to see the back of him and despise him still to this day?

If he was so good and so succesful, why is he not still at Chelsea or his beloved Liverpool?

Mate sorry, but this is akin to asking " If Emery was so good, why isn''t he still at PSG? If Kamara was so good, why isn't he at Real Madrid? "

I'm sure it's not that straightforward, and just like us, most fans don't actually know shite about the inner workings of what the CEO actually does, and will moan accordingly.

There are Arsenal fans who currently want Arteta out, just for example. Fan logic isn't always correct.

I'm pretty sure that on the Commercial/ Results side he must have some sort or positive. record.

An alternative question could be " If he was so shite, why would three ambitious Premier League clubs and Boards have hired him in the first place? "

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate sorry, but this is akin to asking " If Emery was so good, why isn''t he still at PSG? If Kamara was so good, why isn't he at Real Madrid? "

I'm sure it's not that straightforward, and just like us, most fans don't actually know shite about the inner workings of what the CEO actually does, and will moan accordingly.

There are Arsenal fans who currently want Arteta out, just for example. Fan logic isn't always correct.

I'm pretty sure that on the Commercial/ Results side he must have some sort or positive. record.

An alternative question could be " If he was so shite, why would three ambitious clubs and Boards have hired him in the first place? "

I appreciate this JV and you know I'm a fan of most of what you post on here, but to be fair mate the goings on at Arsenal or a managers time elsewhere isn't anything to do with Aston Villa bud.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

It's hard to be deemed to be doing a good job if the reaction to doing so is "well yeah you should be doing that anyway".

yep. we always need a scapegoat. on the pitch all is good so there's no one in the playing or coaching staff deserving of that so it seems to have switched to purslow for reasons unknown. maybe the season ticket rises are a contributor for that even though that decision was likely driven by ibbetson and her team as i expect that to be well below purslow's pay grade...the CEO of tescos doesn't decide how much to charge for a tin of beans.

in a while there will be someone else to moan about.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, KMitch said:

100% this...  Some need to grow the fook up.  Misery loves company and somehow the unhappy Villa fans all seem to congregate on VillaTalk.  Some of the worst football takes I've ever seen are these unfounded conspiracy theories about Purslow I've read on here.  We're on the cusp of something great at the moment and some just want to moan about something instead.  

Why, for having an opinion?

Apologies of it's not to yours kn anyone elses liking, or do we all have to be bullied into following the trend to avoid upsetting other posters?

Why is it a conspiracy theory when then things are raised or questioned?

It's called a debate pal and if you don't agree with most then that's fine, but to tell people to grow up or to ridule peoples posts as conspiracy theories because you don't agree with what is being said then it is rather childish in itself.

• Like 2

Genuine questions..

I don’t know the answer, but for one thing Liverpool fans are idiots, he probably did one thing that they disagreed with and then see that as a slight on the city, their family, the after Christ and everything inbetween. 
For me, he seems to be doing a good job at Villa, is trusted by the board and therefore don’t see why he is criticised so much. 

As for putting “his beloved Liverpool”, is he not allowed to be a fan of another club? It happens all the time as players, but they just put that to the side (well in most cases).

18 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Apologies of it's not to yours kn anyone elses liking, or do we all have to be bullied into following the trend to avoid upsetting other posters?

It's called a debate pal and if you don't agree with most then that's fine, but to tell people to grow up or to ridule peoples posts as conspiracy theories because you don't agree with what is being said then it is rather childish in itself.

The problem is you lot aren't debating or even having a discussion.  This whole "Purslow was 100% solely responsible for Gerrard and deserves to be run out of town for it" goes against everything all reliable sources have said about the appointment of Gerrard.

You might as well be posting on here that you don't like Christian Purslow because you think he pees sitting down and anyone who tells you otherwise is a happy clapper trying to stifle debate...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, KMitch said:

The problem is you lot aren't debating or even having a discussion.  This whole "Purslow was 100% solely responsible for Gerrard and deserves to be run out of town for it" goes against everything all reliable sources have said about the appointment of Gerrard.

You might as well be posting on here that you don't like Christian Purslow because you think he pees sitting down and anyone who tells you otherwise is a happy clapper trying to stifle debate...

I disagree.

In all fairness, If you think things are solely based on the "appointment of Gerrard" then I think you have some catching up to do.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I don’t know the answer, but for one thing Liverpool fans are idiots, he probably did one thing that they disagreed with and then see that as a slight on the city, their family, the after Christ and everything inbetween. 
For me, he seems to be doing a good job at Villa, is trusted by the board and therefore don’t see why he is criticised so much. 

As for putting “his beloved Liverpool”, is he not allowed to be a fan of another club? It happens all the time as players, but they just put that to the side (well in most cases).

I <think> the Liverpool reaction is down to him selling the club to Americans?  But in that regards I think his job was to sell the club to the highest bidder (ideally with a cohesive plan for the club) rather than to the owners that won a popularity contest with the fans.  I would think it is actually hard to argue that in general the sale wasn't successful - irrespective of whether fans "like" the owners or not.  It was certainly a better sale than Man Utd, Everton and many others.  I think there are many reasons why people might decide to move on from Chelsea - starting with criminal, middling on Russian and ending with money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m totally incredulous that you’re claiming that Unai Emery’s appointment was down to him. I’m also amazed that the data backed the appointment of Gerrard. I can easily believe the bit about liking him. However there was zero evidence of any proper due diligence being carried out before that appointment.

He will have played a major role in it, it's his job, it's what our owners pay him to do - they told him to get an elite manager and by the sound of reports in the press he spoke with a couple of them and we ended up with Emery. It will be Purslow that had those conversations with him, it will be Purslow that then made recommendations to the board, supported with the information they'd want - he'll have been at the heart of that process.

I live up in Scotland now and most Rangers fans I know said they always thought that Beale was the brains of the operation. So if they knew it, how come the super sharp operator CEO of Aston Villa didn’t?

I'm guessing he did, seeing as we took them both.

He was a flop, a terrible manager who, as it turned out wasn't able to replicate the things he'd done in Scotland at a higher level - he was a high profile gamble for a club looking for a manager that matched their up-and-comer attitude - it didn't work out, and we changed tack. Purslow had a personal relationship with him, he liked him a lot, said he was 'a winner' with an incredible attitude - but our board aren't daft enough to just say "That's good enough for me Chris pal, here's £20m, you go get him" there will have been planning, information, conversation, documents, presentations, interview, all of that sort of stuff - it's a collective thing, Purslow, Lange, the board, everyone with a stake albeit with Purslow definitely taking a lead on this one - but it's not like he pulled the wool over our owners eyes - if he had, he wouldn't be here now.

• Like 2

Regarding the whole data thing with Gerrard, it's not as if the appointment was nonsensical: it was off the back of a 2020-21 season where Rangers only lost twice (and none in the league) and set a British record for the fewest goals conceded in a season. For his 3rd season of senior management, that's really impressive: even for the Scottish league.

I wasn't for the appointment at the time and it didn't work out at all (albeit its unlikely the other names of Roberto Martinez and Hassenhuttl would have worked out either), but it's not as if it was a clueless decision: it was a gamble on a promising manager who could have just as equally been the next big thing as he was a flop. The command group (NSWE, Purslow and Lange) learnt from this, moved on, and did it the easier way by skipping the process and breaking the bank for an elite manager (aided by an improved reputation and pull that, given how terrible a manager he was, Gerrard can genuinely be somewhat credited for)

The future is bright, the Gerrard years are behind us and the club is structurally in the best state it's possibly ever been: of which a lot of credit has to go to the CEO.

11 minutes ago, allani said:

I think there are many reasons why people might decide to move on from Chelsea - starting with criminal, middling on Russian and ending with money.

I doubt that Mr Purslow believes that money can be bad - ask BK8 (if you can find them).

The Chelsea one is interesting, on paper he did an incredible job, pulling in some of the biggest commercial deals in football history and he's still very well respected there - but they very deliberately kept him out of the media spotlight and didn't give him free rein and I think in the end he had disagreements with the board over the way he wanted to do things.

Again though, it's that thing - he's a strong flavour, he's got an ego and he's autocratic - but there he is delivering what he said he'd deliver.

It's not people having a differing opinion that bothers me.  Absolutely fine.

It's that threads all over the shop get derailed with digs about Purslow for absolutely no reason.  It just goes on and on.  If anyone has a comment or a criticism of Purslow it should be in here but it crops up everywhere. It's so tiresome.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I've got a mate who is well acquainted with the goings on at Villa Park who assures me the Purslow definitely does pee sitting down.  Was also backed up when I did an Anfield tour by the guide last year.

• Haha 1

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

Anyway he has helped take us from the Championship to the verge of Europe in 5 seasons, it's almost like one of those 5 year plans we got told about that's actually come off.  The way I see it is that we got promoted a year early and wasted a year mainly due to Gerrard but overall we are where we should be. 

I don't see Heck coming on board to to interfere with Purslow running Villa but to be in charge of V Sports globally and especially the MLS team.

Promoted a year early my arse, we got back up by the skin of our teeth after 3 poor seasons overall in the Championship where we overspent and would have been **** a year later versus FFP when the parachute payment money was all gone.

Â