Tammy Abraham

Villaphan04

2 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Kind of gives you a snapshot into the influence he would have had on the players last season in terms of lifting the morale and building something solid.

People credit Bruce for this and he deserves some credit for signing him, but Bruce without Terry so far has been more than shaky.

That's not entirely fair. I liked your comment because the influence Terry had was so obvious. This however does not lessen the impact Bruce has had on morale.

If you were to suggest his departure has lessened our organisation in defense, I would agree wholeheartedly. I would say that as our offense improves our need for defensive solidarity will also increase, as we are not a pressing team and will also need to be cautious of counter attacks.

14 hours ago, fifamad said:

I maybe the only person not excited by this signing. I think he’s a highly over rated player, he looks so awkward on the ball, gets tangled up in his own feet a lot, he has scored goals in the championship before I know but when I’ve watched him play a lot for Swansea he looked very poor. I’m not too exited by this signing but will be interested to see if he can prove me wrong. 

Edit: PS I also believe we badly needed a decent defender or two more than a striker as we have plenty of options attacking wise.

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Your not excited about this signing? Our other options were Hogan and davis who have scored less than 10 goals between them and injury prone RHM.

I think this is a terrific signing

You're not the only one. Abraham has an average no greater than the contributions of Hogan or Davis. Both  the latter are due back this month. Davis in particular for me was part of a winning Villa side and was omitted through no fault of his own. Showed he can throw a punch in this division. I'll be happy if TA is a valuable player come seasons end though.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

That's not entirely fair. I liked your comment because the influence Terry had was so obvious. This however does not lessen the impact Bruce has had on morale.

If you were to suggest his departure has lessened our organisation in defense, I would agree wholeheartedly. I would say that as our offense improves our need for defensive solidarity will also increase, as we are not a pressing team and will also need to be cautious of counter attacks.

Morale wouldn't have been what it was if we weren't winning and we wouldn't have won the games we did if it wasn't for Terry in central defense plus a couple of others who came together well and brought a real solidarity to the team in terms of character mainly. 

There's a view on here that Bruce is a poor tactician but a good 'man manager' which I don't subscribe to at all. 'Man management' is all about psychology which is not one of Bruce's strong points.

2 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Morale wouldn't have been what it was if we weren't winning and we wouldn't have won the games we did if it wasn't for Terry in central defense plus a couple of others who came together well and brought a real solidarity to the team in terms of character mainly. 

There's a view on here that Bruce is a poor tactician but a good 'man manager' which I don't subscribe to at all. 'Man management' is all about psychology which is not one of Bruce's strong points.

Man management is about getting the best performance and result from a team as a leader. Understanding psychology is one element of it. I think Bruce ticks a few boxes of man-management.

I actually agree with you in regard to your first paragraph. My reason for backing Bruce originally is that I thought we would succeed in our season objective due to the amount of leaders brought in to the dressing room.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Man management is about getting the best performance and result from a team as a leader. Understanding psychology is one element of it. I think Bruce ticks a few boxes of man-management.

I actually agree with you in regard to your first paragraph. My reason for backing Bruce originally is that I thought we would succeed in our season objective due to the amount of leaders brought in to the dressing room.

He ticks a few boxes, but not enough for me. 

19 hours ago, briny_ear said:

If he had watched our last 5 games, he would have seen we had possession of 63 - 61 -  57 - 59 - 56%

But let’s not allow facts to get in the way here, eh?

Mmm Ok, let’s see how it goes when we play a decent side shall we?

18 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I'd also argue it's difficult to be an effective leader and be able to 'get the best out of players' if you haven't got a deep understanding of psychology. It's at the core of being an effective 'man manager'.

3 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

I'd also argue it's difficult to be an effective leader and be able to 'get the best out of players' if you haven't got a deep understanding of psychology. It's at the core of being an effective 'man manager'.

You'd be arguing with yourself, Michael. When I sad an 'element of it' was not to suggest it is anything other than deeply entrenched in.

The only facets of man-management which perhaps do not involve psychology is planning and preparation. Something which I think Bruce might do, but not appropriate to opposition or to the demands of our competition.

On 01/09/2018 at 16:22, Michael118 said:

Or you could just naturally be good at leading and managing?

Bruce was captain of one of the best teams in the world. He was a leader on the pitch. He's been a manager for 20 odd years and the unanimous opinion of his players seems to be that he's a good man manager, even if he's lacking in other areas.

I think it's safe to say he's doing something right on that front.

Edited by Stevo985

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Or you could just naturally be good at leading and managing?

Bruce was captain of one of the best teams in the world. He was a leader on the pitch. He's been a manager for 20 odd years and the unanimous opinion of his players seems to be that he's a good man manager, even if he's lacking in other areas.

I think it's safe to say he's doing something right on that front.

This is true, but it can't always work and what you see with Bruce, even when he has been successful, that there's a limit he hits before things go a bit pear shaped. I think he has almost certainly hit that here, he's no longer able to get the right sort of response from his players consistently and he appears to be completely out of ideas tactically.

10 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This is true, but it can't always work and what you see with Bruce, even when he has been successful, that there's a limit he hits before things go a bit pear shaped. I think he has almost certainly hit that here, he's no longer able to get the right sort of response from his players consistently and he appears to be completely out of ideas tactically.

Yeah I'm not disagreeing with that. In fact I think you may be right. Unless we turn a corner soon it might be that his style/man management can only get him so far before the players turn off. Although you could say that about lots and lots of managers.

The main point though was that you don't necessarily need some "deep understanding of psychology" to be a good leader/man manager. Some people are naturally good at the things that make you a leader or manager.

In fact I'd argue that most football managers don't have a deep understanding of psychology. It's just that the ones who know how to lead end up succeeding.

Â