Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

El Ghazi is a decent squad player but due to injuries he has played more games than he normally would which is why we are now having these debates. 

He isn’t great but he has played his part the season. The time will eventually come when he will be deemed not good enough even for our bench. But that time hasn’t come yet.

So really credit to him for continuing to play his part when called upon.

• Like 3

Not sure what more you could want from a backup winger honestly. Scoring a goal every other game essentially and winning the team points, for a fee of what was it 5m? We'd be lauding Leicester's recruitment if they did that kind of business.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

El Ghazi is a decent squad player but due to injuries he has played more games than he normally would which is why we are now having these debates. 

He isn’t great but he has played his part the season. The time will eventually come when he will be deemed not good enough even for our bench. But that time hasn’t come yet.

So really credit to him for continuing to play his part when called upon.

"Play his part" is a major understatement. He has scored three match winners and one match tieing (sp?) goal. He has been much more important than given credit for.

• Like 3

On 03/05/2021 at 17:44, TRO said:

He probably strikes the ball at goal ,better than most in our club.

The issue as I see it is this, he struggles with certain attributes necessary for a perfect winger, but he has some, but not others.

As an example......if 10 is perfect, he may have 5 or 6, but we need someone with 7 or 8

It depends what we want to focus on as spectators......he infuriates me at times and then comes up with a worldly

its easy to have varying opinions on Ghazi from game to game.

Exactly this.  He is the wing version of Hourihane.  He can strike the ball really well on occasion - as we saw on Saturday night - but does nothing else all game.  And he is so focused on getting a strike in that he never looks for anything else - it must be so frustrating for Ollie to keep making those runs but never get a pass.  I can't remember Anwar ever making an assist over the last couple of seasons?

I do think he has all of the talent but lacks some pace and, more importantly, commitment and the will to die for his teammates, which I want to see in our players and think we do have plenty of in the rest of the squad.  If you could merge El Ghazi with Trezeguet - assuming that you got the best bits from both - you would have Ronaldo mk II!!😉

• Like 1

The thing is, at Championship level he was a winger who could beat his full back on the outside and swing in a cross... AND score goals cutting inside.

At this level, he’s still scoring the goals, but he doesn’t have enough pace or trickery to create for others.

That’s still a big contribution, and I think he’s more than earned his place in the team. He’s unlucky that his best position is Grealish’s best position. But fair play to him, he often takes his chances when he does start.

I also think despite his natural softness, his attitude is good. He’ll never bully a defence or put in a massive 50/50, but he does track back and he does seem to care. He seems happier this season.

But yeah he’ll always be one of those frustrating players. A classic mid / lower PL player really. Brilliant at some things, pisspoor at others.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

"Play his part" is a major understatement. He has scored three match winners and one match tieing (sp?) goal. He has been much more important than given credit for.

I wasn’t downplaying his contribution mate. He’s done his bit when called upon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Not sure what more you could want from a backup winger honestly. Scoring a goal every other game essentially and winning the team points, for a fee of what was it 5m? We'd be lauding Leicester's recruitment if they did that kind of business.

People really need to stop saying this cause it isn't true.

43 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

People really need to stop saying this cause it isn't true.

In terms of minutes per goal, it is (it's actually better than 1 in 2). For someone who doesn't start week in week out (just 12 out of his 23 appearances were starts), it's definitely a fairer way to assess his output than "9 goals in 23" when 11 of those appearances add up to only 2 games worth of football.

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

Exactly this.  He is the wing version of Hourihane.  He can strike the ball really well on occasion - as we saw on Saturday night - but does nothing else all game.  And he is so focused on getting a strike in that he never looks for anything else - it must be so frustrating for Ollie to keep making those runs but never get a pass.  I can't remember Anwar ever making an assist over the last couple of seasons?

I do think he has all of the talent but lacks some pace and, more importantly, commitment and the will to die for his teammates, which I want to see in our players and think we do have plenty of in the rest of the squad.  If you could merge El Ghazi with Trezeguet - assuming that you got the best bits from both - you would have Ronaldo mk II!!😉

Well he got 4 assists last season and is also our quickest player so not sure what games you've been watching

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

In terms of minutes per goal, it is (it's actually better than 1 in 2). For someone who doesn't start week in week out (just 12 out of his 23 appearances were starts), it's definitely a fairer way to assess his output than "9 goals in 23" when 11 of those appearances add up to only 2 games worth of football.

Then say that. Cause he hasn't scored every other game.

3 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Well he got 4 assists last season and is also our quickest player so not sure what games you've been watching

He does shoot frustratingly often lately though. Fair enough it was a cracker on Saturday, but the amount of his shots that have just been telegraphed and easily blocked recently has been ridiculous :D

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Then say that. Cause he hasn't scored every other game.

The stats have been posted countless times in this thread. It's pretty obvious what I meant. Not like I was quoting them to Manchester United fans.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

The thing is, at Championship level he was a winger who could beat his full back on the outside and swing in a cross... AND score goals cutting inside.

At this level, he’s still scoring the goals, but he doesn’t have enough pace or trickery to create for others.

That’s still a big contribution, and I think he’s more than earned his place in the team. He’s unlucky that his best position is Grealish’s best position. But fair play to him, he often takes his chances when he does start.

I also think despite his natural softness, his attitude is good. He’ll never bully a defence or put in a massive 50/50, but he does track back and he does seem to care. He seems happier this season.

But yeah he’ll always be one of those frustrating players. A classic mid / lower PL player really. Brilliant at some things, pisspoor at others.

Except last season he created our 4th most big chances behind only Grealish, Hourihane and Targett. 

4 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Except last season he created our 4th most big chances behind only Grealish, Hourihane and Targett. 

Seems to have regressed in this regard this season. Last season he was crossing a lot more, ironically when we had worse finishers playing up front. This season with Ollie up front and he's shooting way more than he crosses.

33 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The stats have been posted countless times in this thread. It's pretty obvious what I meant. Not like I was quoting them to Manchester United fans.

Words matter.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Context even more.

No context to be found when people are saying matches and meaning goals scored in minutes played.

This is a football forum. You can't expect people to crawl through 30 posts to understand your incorrect use of the word matches.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

No context to be found when prople are saying matches and meaning goals scored in minutes played.

This is a football forum. You can't expect people to crawl through 30 posts to understand your incorrect use of the word matches.

You literally had this exact exchange with someone else 5 hours ago :lol: . You know what I meant. 

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

You literally had this exact exchange with someone else 5 hours ago :lol: . You know what I meant. 

Which is why I said the same thing then. Which incidently is why I repeated it when you also said the same incorrect thing.

Â