Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

1 hour ago, Czarnikjak said:

Love him or hate him, with Bailey still injured be prepared for another Elghazi showing tomorrow.

He will definitely start, I can't see Smith being brave enough to start JPB.

I think he deserves to start. 3 goals and 2 assists in his last 2 games. If you do well, you keep the shirt. 

I know all things being equal, when everyone is fit, he's not in our strongest team, but he goes on these streaky runs and he could be on one now. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Most football fans don't even know or care about a footballers religion, sexuality etc until it's brought up/highlighted IMO.

Are we trying to suggest that people dislike Anwar because he's Muslim?

Elmo is/was loved and he is Muslim, Trez is one of the best/worst players we have and he is loved and he is Muslim, plus countless other Muslim players.

I always accept that racism and prejudice exists, but can't help but feel that sometimes people pull from as a "Card " to Trump any critique.

Similarly to how people attempt to reach for race when someone is bigging up a player by calling them a "beast " or " monster ".

Is there a loud, disgusting minority? Absolutely, but to suggest the vast majority of fans fall into these categories are grossly inaccurate imo.

Sometimes, it's just what it says on the tin, Football fans with different personalities and opinions, having different takes on players and football matches.

I'm not sure if you were directly responding to what I said but if I wasn't clear, I do think people are racist and I do think villa fans are racist towards villa players, but I don't think it's the vast majority of fans and I didn't mean to write anything that suggested that.

My comment was responding to something suggesting no villa fans are racist to villa players or, by extension, anyone and I was disagreeing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Czarnikjak said:

Love him or hate him, with Bailey still injured be prepared for another Elghazi showing tomorrow.

He will definitely start, I can't see Smith being brave enough to start JPB.

Could be that, or it could be the fact that he got two goals and two assists in the last game. Plus scored a penalty against Newcastle last weekend. 

Probably more that isn’t it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Most football fans don't even know or care about a footballers religion, sexuality etc until it's brought up/highlighted IMO.

Elmo is/was loved and he is Muslim, Trez is one of the best/worst players we have and he is loved and he is Muslim, plus countless other Muslim players.

I always accept that racism and prejudice exists, but can't help but feel that sometimes people pull from as a "Card " to Trump any critique.

Similarly to how people attempt to reach for race when someone is bigging up a player by calling them a "beast " or " monster ".

Is there a loud, disgusting minority? Absolutely, but to suggest the vast majority of fans fall into these categories are grossly inaccurate imo.

Sometimes, it's just what it says on the tin, Football fans with different personalities and opinions, having different takes on players and football matches.

He is an outspoken muslim. He famously broke his fast for the playoff final, he has received numerous death threats from villa fans which it appears none of our other players have received. I really don't think it is a coincidence. 

18 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

He is an outspoken muslim. He famously broke his fast for the playoff final, he has received numerous death threats from villa fans which it appears none of our other players have received. I really don't think it is a coincidence. 

Is that even true?

12 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I can’t stand the victim posts. I don’t even know if the people posting them are white or of a minority.

As a ‘brown’ person myself it really winds me up when this shit comes up when it’s completely unfounded.

AEG gets ridiculous criticism because he is inconsistent and because of what he did at Southampton.  I’ve seen white players like Westwood and Bannan get far worse abuse than Anwar. So anyone saying it’s because he is a Muslim is just plain wrong in my opinion. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Can only speak for myself but I’ve never disliked El Ghazi. Gotten frustrated, even annoyed, with him at times but was especially fond of him during our time in the Championship and for his outstanding display in the POF. The guy who ditched us was fairly anonymous on the other hand…

Have always wanted him to do well for us and show us the player he could be… I miss the guy from the POF, not seen him perform like that since…

I’ve already explained (previous posts) why, now that were looking to progress as a proper/successful PL team, he’s not at the required level for us. He’s also inconsistent and there’s no doubt that he is a confidence player.

Again, as a member of the squad he is fine. But I will continue to be concerned if he continually starts games for us… he is so often the weak link in our build up play and it’s clear that his teammates are often frustrated with him too. Despite the goals he has scored, he is so often wasteful in possession and takes wasteful shots.

Our squad is in a bit of a state atm but I had just hoped that players of Anwar’s level, and below it, would not be seeing much game time for us this season and we could really kick on. Another example of/for this, for me, would be Nakamba. 

Honestly, I’ve always hoped he could improve and maybe fulfil his potential and become a truly outstanding player. But that’s not going to happen, he’s been with us for long enough to realise that… 

We often bang on about getting to the next level as a club or qualifying for Europe… well, one way you do that is by improving the team and upgrading on inessential or limited players… rather than standing still or being overly sentimental… even better if you can get a decent fee for such a player and put those funds to good use…

oh and whoever suggested criticism of him is based on his religion or beliefs…

what an absolute pile of bullshit

so weak to resort to crap like that and completely unfounded… why play that card? No point even trying to have a debate if people are going to pull shit like that…

If some idiot “fans” abused him, why paint everyone else with the same brush?

Grow up.

Edited by Jas10

Gets far too much stick for me @Jas10 put it way better above but for me he's a player who has always put in whilst wearing the shirt and been more than a successful acquisition, but going forward it's a concern if we see too much of him at the start of games.

I think with his record he starts until Bailey has the fitness and form to displace him and that's well deserved but honestly I hope it comes relatively soon. 

JPB won't be thrown in atm as he probably doesn't have the required defensive game of the senior pros. AEG whilst not the best has definitely improved defensively he was helping Cash out in the first game and then did okay defensively in the second.

However I'd like to see JPB get at least 20-25 minutes (depending on game situation). 

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I can’t stand the victim posts. I don’t even know if the people posting them are white or of a minority.

As a ‘brown’ person myself it really winds me up when this shit comes up when it’s completely unfounded.

AEG gets ridiculous criticism because he is inconsistent and because of what he did at Southampton.  I’ve seen white players like Westwood and Bannan get far worse abuse than Anwar. So anyone saying it’s because he is a Muslim, please **** off with your bullshit.

Lol “if anybody says it’s racially driven you’re wrong.” He isn’t being abused solely because he is Muslim, but 110% he will get it worse because of his religious views and his ethnicity. Welcome to England. 

Yes he has had public death threats and abuse on social media, he even came off social media completely at one point. I dread to imagine what his DMs look like.

Players that aren’t white will receive racist abuse, it’s a fact, it isn’t a myth and it isn’t an overreaction. Without getting overly political, despite us living in a multicultural society I think it is too often forgotten that this country is literally built off the back of racism, racial prejudice and colonialism. 

Yes white players get abuse, but players from different backgrounds and religions get the abuse in much different forms and that is by default and that is a fact.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Is that even true?

Yes, although death threats may not be the correct phrasing "death wishes" perhaps. Regardless numerous people have told him to die as villa fans. It is what led to him suspending his accounts. 

4 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Yes, although death threats may not be the correct phrasing "death wishes" perhaps. Regardless numerous people have told him to die as villa fans. It is what led to him suspending his accounts. 

They say this kind of stuff to all our players at times. Some fans are just pure scum.

16 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

IMHO this sort of thing just shows the size of a persons mind,the size of a peanut,I would say.

I think there’s two separate things here. On social media, is AEG getting worse stick because he’s foreign / Muslim? No doubt, yeah. Lots of football “fans” are scum.

But on VillaTalk? I don’t see it. Most of the criticism he gets on here is from people who also see his qualities and want him to succeed.

He’s just a very inconsistent player who has brilliant games and very poor games. You can see his own teammates get frustrated with him, too.

He divides opinion in exactly the same way Hourihane always has, for the same reasons: excellent goal record, some match winning performances, lots of games where he goes missing.

I think he isn't given the same latitude to have a quiet game as anyone else. He seldom makes massive fudge ups (see Traore attempting to spread the play on edge of our box and giving away), but unless he has a great game there's a pile on in here. 

21 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think there’s two separate things here. On social media, is AEG getting worse stick because he’s foreign / Muslim? No doubt, yeah. Lots of football “fans” are scum.

But on VillaTalk? I don’t see it. Most of the criticism he gets on here is from people who also see his qualities and want him to succeed.

He’s just a very inconsistent player who has brilliant games and very poor games. You can see his own teammates get frustrated with him, too.

He divides opinion in exactly the same way Hourihane always has, for the same reasons: excellent goal record, some match winning performances, lots of games where he goes missing.

I think that's about as spot on as you can say it, especially the difference between VT and the net itself where we all know the hatred lies there. That same hatred that's on media isnt on VT and I have never seen it, it is more about dissecting a players performance on VT.

I try not to get involved in these discussions about race I'd rather chat about the football, it's a topic that can get real strong real quick at the slightest mis-wording.

For me Ghazi is a Hit and Miss player and unfortunately when its needed from him, hes not showing up in games. Great guy, I dont know him personally but from what I hear on his interviews hes okay. Has had some troubles at Villa, wont go into them but they were more than noticeable. I spose you could also say that was down to passion and fire for the game and Villa but also being frustrated and annoyed in himself. Does get dispossessed to much for a player that should be gliding around his opponent more than what hes managing. Should be keeping hold of the ball better also and make smarter passes. Defensively hes just bad. Offensively hes proved he can knock goals in but for all those goals I would rather have an all round Winger. like Bailey or Traore and I dont think Ghazi can touch those two in terms of what they do for the team,they are there offensively and defensively and I hope Ghazi can learn from the better player and learn a thing or two. 

I've given him abit of slack in the past but one more season to see how  he goes and if he can flourish now that Grealish has gone maybe a surprise for us fans, who knows. I'm certainly ready to give him a season without Traitor around.

This season will be a defining one for him and if AEG cant bring the pain and keep up, I'm afraid it's a deffo sell next seasons window for whatever offer comes in.

He doesn't seem to be one of those players who can dribble with the ball with his head up which will limit his effectiveness as a winger.  I think that's why Dean tells him just to shoot more often.  Personally I'd have tried him a bit more down the middle, at least before Ollie signed.  He is definitely a good squad player and probably the second most likely player to score today.

Â