John McGinn

PompeyVillan

McGinn did well in the 2nd leg. Albion set out to nullify everything that make us a great team and to great effect, that said I don't think we'll see Derby play the same stifling style which will play right into what McGinn does best. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Am I genuinely the only person who thought he was decent enough on Tuesday night? He did the best with what we gave him or were allowed to give him, which was very little to go at in front of him either by way of space or options. But when space or an out ball did present itself he took the opportunity. They had a man sent off trying to keep hold of him. 

It won't go down as classic McGinn, but I think there's a touch of overreaction going on. He had 3 key passes and 7 completed dribbles in the match for a start. 

West Brom did a tremendous job nullifying our midfield threat, but that doesn't mean any of the three played particularly bad

No. In my opinion he did pretty well Tuesday. He got fouled a lot and caused as much havoc as anybody, but was getting little ball.

On Saturday - he was poor.

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Am I genuinely the only person who thought he was decent enough on Tuesday night? He did the best with what we gave him or were allowed to give him, which was very little to go at in front of him either by way of space or options. But when space or an out ball did present itself he took the opportunity. They had a man sent off trying to keep hold of him. 

It won't go down as classic McGinn, but I think there's a touch of overreaction going on. He had 3 key passes and 7 completed dribbles in the match for a start. 

West Brom did a tremendous job nullifying our midfield threat, but that doesn't mean any of the three played particularly bad

This sort of rational thought does not sit well on the internet.

• Haha 1

I tend to think he's more of a driving forward type of player so if the opposition sits back in two main defensive banks it kind of nullifies his all action gut busting style.

Doesn't mean he's bad in those scenarios but it does remove part of his main strength.

Anyone know yet the route McGinn is going to choose to get to Wembley?  Always wanted to see him running along the motorway hard shoulder, but not been that fortunate as yet. 

Need the club to set up a live drone cam on the official site so we can follow his journey on the morning of the game.  🏃‍♂️

McGinn needs to be on the next Celebrity Hunted! 

Edited by ferguson1

Massive overreactions on here to recent performances. 

The Boggies defended very very deep lining up men accross the park denying any space to run or turn which is what McGinn brings in bucket loads. 

John was Stifled and The Tesco Carrier Bags paid the price for that by winning that battle and losing the war. 

It was a vastly important game AND a local derby to boot. 

He will very very rarely face those kind of conditions again in any circumstances and if he does he may well end up being the sacrifice to the greater good again. Teams employing those tactics will very rarely conquer. 

He's been absolutely and totally outstanding this season and will continue to be so in the final and then in this division next year if he must and I am 100% certain in The Premier League if given the chance. 

I've drunk quite a bit of wine and The Mrs has gone to bed so I am off to YouTube to watch the Villa On Tour coverage of the Boggies game which I am sure will be most entertaining. 

Good night and UTV. 

• Like 1

On 17/05/2019 at 04:47, VILLAMARV said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cde2734574e2e4f59

In fairness I think we've all probably been guilty of this at some point  - during our villa careers 😀👍🏻

In terms of SJM - as others have said - I think a week of the right mix of RR and light training and he'll be right back at it - I can see him marauding all over Wembley.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dave J said:

In fairness I think we've all probably been guilty of this at some point  - during our villa careers 😀👍🏻

Oh yes, it's what makes it a classic :thumb: (I know I have in here but you know, just blame spellcheck or alcohol as applicable) ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

Oh yes, it's what makes it a classic :thumb: (I know I have in here but you know, just blame spellcheck or alcohol as applicable) ;)

It’s a rite of passage.

Edited by alreadyexists

On 16/05/2019 at 16:57, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Nope, I thought he was OK to decent as well. But OK to decent from McGinn is something we haven't seen much of this season.

Speaks volumes that there's not a peep of anyone suggesting he should drop out of the playoff final for Hourihane who has a pile of goals this season.

West Brom were so deep he just couldn't find space to work in either leg. They were also very canny to his magic arse roll, he needs to be mindful and switch it up if Derby are onto it as well.

I think he'll be MOTM in the final. Grealish tore them apart in the 4-0 and McGinn didn't even play. They'll be so focussed on controling Jack, John will get run of the field.

• Like 1

I thought he was poor in the first game vs Baggies and Ok in the second. 

McGinn is at his best when he's running with the ball, through the midfield line and running against the defensive line.   The baggies were so deep throughout the entire fixture I think he only made 2 of these marauding runs.  It's not his fault, it's just that baggies nullified him and to Grealish by playing on their own 18 yard box for nearly 2 games - it almost worked too! 

I think it'll be a different beast against Derby, who are naturally more offensive, and I think this game (at this point in time in my head) will be won by Grealish and McGinn having too much for Derby.  

But I expect a much more dynamic and action packed McGinn v Derby than we saw against Baggies. 

• Like 1

On 16/05/2019 at 18:58, SuperJohnMcGinn said:

Since SJM followed in the footsteps of the great Des Bremner in making the switch from one great club to another in the summer I have followed his progress very closely whilst finding myself becoming more and more of a Villain each week!

My brother and I are going to travel down to Wembley from Edinburgh for the play off final a week on Monday to support SJM and Villa getting back to where they belong, in the Prem. Even if it is just to sample the atmosphere in the pubs pre match. On the off chance are there any Villa fans on here that could source or point me in the right direction of how I could source 2 tickets for the game? I know it’s very much a long shot but we would absolutely love to be there. 

Either way it’d be great to meet some of you guys down there for a pint!

UTV! 

I love this kind of post, where fans of another club find themselves falling for our club. 

I went to Wembley with a group of guys for our last League Cup final against Man Utd. Three of us (me included) went dressed in costume, as Villa knights. Our group went to the Greyhound pub pre-match and whilst in that pub we befriended a group of four Norwegian men who were members of the Norwegian Villa fan club. They had paid £600 each to travel over from Norway to watch the game and stay at a hotel for the night. They became Villa fans after Erik Bakke had been signed by us and we're chuffed that John Carew was playing for us at the time. I've stayed in touch with one of the guys ever since. 

I hope you get lucky, SuperJohnMcGinn, and find tickets for you and your brother. Who knows, maybe your namesake can score a Wembley goal for you, in a Villa win, to make it a day to remember. 

• Like 1

Â