John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Just now, MotoMkali said:

If we want to play someone in a more advanced position we should just play Coutinho or Buendia instead. 

He’s going to start and play every week now, locked in!!! 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

2 seasons ago we wanted to stay in the league. This season we want top 8. Have you seen enough from Mcginn in the last two seasons to suggest he’s good enough to take us there? 

I haven't seen it from any of the squad, hence why we arent a top 8 team. Hopefully adding kamara and carlis might get us closer

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Shame about the ridiculous backlash he is getting from posters on here.

Wasn't my choice for captain either but good luck to him, really hope he proves a lot wrong.

For those of you moaning he will play every minute now, he already does. Gerrard has said multiple times he loves him and wants to build the team around him. I'm surprised this has come as a shock.

I wouldn't say he's getting much backlash, Gerrard is.

It's not McGinn who appointed himself captain.

That said, my perception is that most people like McGinn. They don't like the amount of game time he gets regardless of performance levels. Most of people are happy to have him as a squad player, but don't rate him highly enough to take us into the top 8.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Is it bad that I’m kind of enjoying the backlash on here :)

He wouldn’t have been my first choice though. 

I’m having a great time, I couldn’t care less whose captain as we don’t have a true captain imo anyway and it’s great that I’m not the negative one tonight. So I’m loving this!

It’s funny the amount of people against McGinn as captain but I haven’t seen any other outfield alternatives mentioned. We need to accept that our manager doesn’t rate Mings so what’s a different captain. Any suggestions of who?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

It’s funny the amount of people against McGinn as captain but I haven’t seen any other outfield alternatives mentioned. We need to accept that our manager doesn’t rate Mings so what’s a different captain. Any suggestions of who?

Carney 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

This is the furst decision Gerrard has made that I seriously question. Its really annoyed me to be honest.

You’ll get used it, it’s far from the first decision I’ve seriously questioned of his.  You just roll with it eventually, a few nice words at a media event and all is good 😉

• Haha 1

My two cents on the topic. I like them again I think he is a good player to have far squad. 
My issue is that he has been a “guaranteed starter” for the last three years since we got promoted. We have now upgraded in every other position on the pitch except for where McGinn plays.

Wouldn’t this then suggest that the next logical person to upgrade would be McGinn?

If we look at this preseason, we are apparently wanting to play in my possession based style. Judging based on the games we have seen in preseason I would have Dougie starting next to Kamara because I think they would be able to do a lot of intricate passing and be better suited for a possession style. 

how does this affect Ramsey because they have really similar games in my opinion? And how are we going to fit in Bailey, Buendia, Coutinho, (ings/Watkins), Ramsay & McGinn?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You’ll get used it, it’s far from the first decision I’ve seriously questioned of his.  You just roll with it eventually, a few nice words at a media event and all is good 😉

Out of interest what are the other things you’ve questioned?

Just now, WHY said:

Out of interest what are the other things you’ve questioned?

Team line ups, tactics, cohesion, comments made but not followed up like team changes…he’s brilliant at media and recruitment but I’m yet to see or be convinced of anything on the pitch and have questioned many decisions.  The only thing I care about is on the pitch but that is the area I have only reservations about re Gerrard.  I’m hopeful that changes this up coming season but I see many of the same issues in preseason as I did last season and our form in 2022 has been really poor, so I’m nervous.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Team line ups, tactics, cohesion, comments made but not followed up like team changes…he’s brilliant at media and recruitment but I’m yet to see or be convinced of anything on the pitch and have questioned many decisions.  The only thing I care about is on the pitch but that is the area I have only reservations about re Gerrard.  I’m hopeful that changes this up coming season but I see many of the same issues in preseason as I did last season and our form in 2022 has been really poor, so I’m nervous.

Time will tell I guess, our squad is full of middle of the road players though with the exception of Martinez. I get you might not like his tactics and team selection but in truth we are just swapping out like for like, this is the problem. I actually think making McGinn captain could be a masterstroke. Will be an interesting season either way.

Edited by WHY

As nobody will suggest anyone else I will throw out a few options. None of our attacking players can do it as there is way too much uncertainty there. Midfield options are McGinn, Doug and Kamara. Doug can’t have it as he hasn’t signed a contract and Kamara just joined us and I am unsure if he can even speak fluent English. Defenders are a choice of Cash, Konsa, Carlos and Digne. Carlos is not long enough here, Digne could possibly do it but needs more time at Villa first and that leaves Konsa and Cash. Konsa is just back from serious injury and does not appear to be a 1st 11 starter, so that leaves Cash. Cash would be perfect for the job, good player, guaranteed starter and well liked. But is Cash a ‘captain’, does he want the responsibility? Only Gerrard knows this and he elected to for for McGinn 

Â