John McGinn

PompeyVillan

34 minutes ago, Shirtman said:

He  does struggle with his weight and he looked overweight yesterday. Did't he say that he's lost weight at the beginning of the season?

on all other levels he's a top professional. so I'd hope that he'll be addressing it straight away

If he doesn't bother to take care of his body as a professional, then it doesn't matter if he has a 'can-do' attitude. 

He's just the teacher's pet. 

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Villaphan04 said:

Think his problem is that we already play with 3 more attacking minded midfielders and he has to track back and have a more defensive role & that is definitely one of the weaker sides to his game.

John McGinn isn't playing very well at the moment but makes up for it by being the only enforcer in the midfield, I think he needs some help in there, because someone has to win the ball back, when the 'creative' players lose it.

Look forward to him getting back in form, so we can sing 'when they begin the McGinn', once again.

Watford was the same as the Leeds game.  He's like a terrier for the first five minutes, winning crowd pleasing tackles all over the park and then he just disappears.  Don't even notice him playing bad, just forget he's there.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Watford was the same as the Leeds game.  He's like a terrier for the first five minutes, winning crowd pleasing tackles all over the park and then he just disappears.  Don't even notice him playing bad, just forget he's there.

If you watch him you'll generally see him absolutely blowing and then clapping and cheering on the lads 

23 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

John McGinn isn't playing very well at the moment but makes up for it by being the only enforcer in the midfield, I think he needs some help in there, because someone has to win the ball back, when the 'creative' players lose it.

Look forward to him getting back in form, so we can sing 'when they begin the McGinn', once again.

I think JM is good a tthe hustle and bustle in an offensive position, He get on a run with those Bison like shoulders, and causes problems.

However John has not got the natural instinct for defending, he is not athletic or eel like to get after a tricky forward.....he has power, but not pace, and hasn't the ability to to jockey opponents in to errors.

I feel for him...He is doing a job he is not natural at.....but who else is there?...and that issue has been left to fester....not good imo.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think JM is good a tthe hustle and bustle in an offensive position, He get on a run with those Bison like shoulders, and causes problems.

However John has not got the natural instinct for defending, he is not athletic or eel like to get after a tricky forward.....he has power, but not pace, and hasn't the ability to to jockey opponents in to errors.

I feel for him...He is doing a job he is not natural at.....but who else is there?...and that issue has been left to fester....not good imo.

No matter the diagnosis, it does seem that the conclusion makes its way back to the failure to recruit a midfielder with the right mixture of defensive and passing skills.

Gerrard might recall forming a very well balanced partnership with Gareth Barry for England, which looked very promising for a while.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

No matter the diagnosis, it does seem that the conclusion makes its way back to the failure to recruit a midfielder with the right mixture of defensive and passing skills.

Gerrard might recall forming a very well balanced partnership with Gareth Barry for England, which looked very promising for a while.

maybe Gerrard is looking for a Xabi Alonso type in midfield who could do that

I like JM. You can never fault his effort and commitment, but that isn’t enough in this league. Make no mistake, he can produce moments of brilliance just not on a consistent basis. 

To me, he should be a squad player. Like Douglas Luiz, he doesn’t excel enough as an attacking midfielder or holding midfielder to be the long term option to take us forward. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, By the arse of McGinn said:

I like JM. You can never fault his effort and commitment, but that isn’t enough in this league. Make no mistake, he can produce moments of brilliance just not on a consistent basis

To me, he should be a squad player. Like Douglas Luiz, he doesn’t excel enough as an attacking midfielder or holding midfielder to be the long term option to take us forward. 

That sentence right there sounds like everyone of our players at the moment, which speaks volumes.

• Like 1

Â