John McGinn

PompeyVillan

He's probably worth what we got him for lol. To be fair I think he improved as the game went on but who has stolen the old meatball and given us the Wish version?! 

Edited by birdman

Based on his performances this season I'm struggling to think of any PL team where he would start.

Even against Sheff. Utd he was in direct competition with Lundstram and he lost that particularly battle.

Again against Newcastle the rookie Willock danced around and bested him repeatedly.

He's very good on his day, but it's hardly ever his day, is it? 

What bothers me, and this is nothing against him, is that he is the only midfielder to be deemed absolutely undroppable. I doesn't matter how poorly he plays or for how long, he's always going to start games. I wonder 

A) how that impacts the squad as a whole 

And b) weather that somehow impacts McGinn himself. You hear talk about competition for places giving you that extra push, I'm pretty sure he's not feeling like anyone is competing for his spot. 

• Like 1

Maybe but it will stop people dominating our midfield.

McGinn isn't exactly creating much either, quite the opposite I'd attest considering how much he gives the ball away and gets caught in possession.

We need to change something and Mcginn is the only constant in midfield and it clearly isn't working. McGinn needs benched and Smith needs to realise he's a squad player at best!

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

I dont think he needs benching. I think he needs Jack. Just like we all do. He's been poor, but so have they all. I thought he worked hard tonight even  if not very effectively.

He's had Jack for most the season, and was still poor.

• Like 3

Feels like it is now time to take him out to see if we can stumble on something that clicks.

4231 with Doug and Marv sitting, Sanson as the 10?

Worth a look but McGinn does take on big responsibility even when he's playing terribly.

I don't think Smith will drop him for that reason.

He's played about three/four "good" games since that injury 15 months ago which is alarming.

Saw on an interview Grealish said McGinn has been told to do more gym work and that can only be a good thing.

I think what he really needs is a very very hard, unpleasant pre-season. And he's probably not going to get it because he's playing the Euros in the summer.

Blimey, some of the comments above. Worth £3m? Not a PL player? Behave.

• Like 1

I just find it quite sad how far he's dropped off and is seemingly continuing to drop. 

Seems like such a fantastic character in the squad but pretty much ever since that injury he hasn't quite been the same. 

It's disappointing how things are going for him at the moment. 

I thought he played okay today, in fact after Konsa and Luiz, I thought he was one of our better players, I think people are going to be disappointed if they think we have midfielders that can do much better than him. It seems no matter who we play in midfield people moan that they're not good enough, unless they have outstanding games, calls for Nakamba, but give him a few games and unless he's looking like the next coming of Kante there will be calls for him to be dropped.

Our problems today were less in central midfield and more in the attacking areas, their stats might not be bad in terms of goals and assists but going forward if we want to improve probably need better than the likes of Trezeguet and El Ghazi, also need more upfront than just Watkins, need someone equally as good or better.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I thought he played okay today, in fact after Konsa and Luiz, I thought he was one of our better players, I think people are going to be disappointed if they think we have midfielders that can do much better than him. It seems no matter who we play in midfield people moan that they're not good enough, unless they have outstanding games, calls for Nakamba, but give him a few games and unless he's looking like the next coming of Kante there will be calls for him to be dropped.

Our problems today were less in central midfield and more in the attacking areas, their stats might not be bad in terms of goals and assists but going forward if we want to improve probably need better than the likes of Trezeguet and El Ghazi, also need more upfront than just Watkins, need someone equally as good or better.

Yes me too, if you replace him with a defensive midfielder we are not going to suddenly become more creative. 

I think it's difficult to really gauge what sort of midfielder he is. He works incredibly hard at both ends of the pitch, but he hasn't got the defensive instincts of a Luiz or a Nakamba, nor does he have the flair going forward in your typical ACM. 

So that leaves the box to box 8 position. The trouble is I think of a 8 as the guys that controls the middle of the park, but he's rarely in the middle of the park because he wants to chase around after the ball. And on the ball everything seems to be 100 mile an hour. I can't really ever remember him just recieving the ball and playing it around, a few easy passes to pull the opposition In. 

It sounds harsh, but I've thought for a while that he's a jack of all trades but PL level at none..

Edited by av1

Always has to shift it on to his left foot by which time he's lost the ball and chasing back. Not good enough for the top 10 of the premier League. Bottom half premier League player at best. 

Too slow and not strong enough. Had many easy passes but tried the Hollywood ball too many times or had to get it on to his left and we lost it. His body positioning when recieving the ball always means he needs an extra touch or two. 

If we want to challenge the top 6 in the next two seasons Mcginn can't be starting more than 5 games a season. 

• Like 1

The way Dean and JT talk about Mcginn, makes him seem like a vital part of our team. I don't get it. 

He's been really poor for most of last season and now this season. 

I think he's a very average Premier league player. Is he better than Westwood?

34 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I thought he could have prevented the goal to be honest. Jogged out to prevent the cross, if he gets there quicker and puts pressure on the player he could prevent the ball coming in.

I agree I saw it at the time and thought where's the urgency. Seems to be a lot of chat on Twitter too, screenshots etc of this exact scenario and 'finger pointing'.

To me he is way too slow for this level, it's the main reason we lose possession so much as he gets caught.

McGinn is not an athlete and therefore he costs us repeatedly, it has been so glaringly obvious for so long.

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

He's played about three/four "good" games since that injury 15 months ago which is alarming.

Saw on an interview Grealish said McGinn has been told to do more gym work and that can only be a good thing.

I think what he really needs is a very very hard, unpleasant pre-season. And he's probably not going to get it because he's playing the Euros in the summer.

Blimey, some of the comments above. Worth £3m? Not a PL player? Behave.

I agree with this completely.  He remains a decent player but he is not the player from the start of last season that Fergie was imploring Man Utd to spend £50m on!

If you compare him with Jack, Jack has become a real physical specimen after working hard with Ollie Stevenson in the gym.  SJM has gone in the opposite direction over the last 12 months - he looks heavier and not half as energetic.  We need to get that version of SJM back if we are going to fire again.  When SJM is on fire, Villa are on fire - witness the Liverpool game.

I think you are right about the pre-season.  I also don't know if SJM was one of the COVID sufferers which may be having an impact, although he was not at his best before our COVID break.

Â