John McGinn

PompeyVillan

I'm bold enough to say it because it's a constant theme on this website, not sure if it's Villa fans or football fans in general, unless a midfielder is constantly looking like a world beater then they're deemed not good enough, or to be not playing well enough, it's as though people think that to have had a good game as midfielder you have to constantly running past players or playing defence splitting passes, or some of other highlights worthy skills, I'm already seeing signs of it in some people's assements of Ramsey.

Edited by useless
Sorry for saying that most people don't know what they're talking abot when it comes to midfielders, but it's true. If it's any consolation, I don't know much either.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Is that a joke? I haven’t seen a player get as much unfair criticism that McGinn does in a very long. 

'Unfair criticism'....on villa talk?

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

I'm bold enough to say it because it's a constant theme on this website, not sure if it's Villa fans or football fans in general, unless a midfielder is constantly looking like a world beater then they're deemed not good enough, or to be not playing well enough, it's as though people think that to have had a good game as midfielder you have to constantly running past players or playing defence splitting passes, or some of other highlights worthy skills, I'm already seeing signs of it in some people's assements of Ramsey.

I love your edit. :)

Sorry for saying most people are words removed but it’s true! 🤣 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Attacking midfielder.

Reason he's looked poor is because we've told him to sit which is not his natural game. Not in his DNA.

It must be related to his injury last year or general fitness, which may also be related to his injury. For I’m sure it’s something more than the management not seeing what we see or simply wanting to accommodate Barkley. They’re not stupid. Anyone with eyes can see what John’s natural game is; it’s not as if he never made it obvious with all those lung-busting runs he’d make.

A little better in the first-half but disappeared in the second-half.

Also guilty of giving the ball away which is par for the course with him.

If we have any aspirations of being a top ten team or indeed challenging for Europe he needs replaced. He's lightweight.

Would love to see (if fit) for newcastle:

Emi

Cash        konsa         mings      targett

Sanson     luiz

Traore                   mcginn              jack

Ollie

Now's the time to try new things, now we're safe.

Start giving cameos to JPB, chuk, barry, kesler.

Sack off barkley unless we're struggling with injuries.

Ramsey becomes main back up midfielder

7 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Would love to see (if fit) for newcastle:

Emi

Cash        konsa         mings      targett

Sanson     luiz

Traore                   mcginn              jack

Ollie

Now's the time to try new things, now we're safe.

Start giving cameos to JPB, chuk, barry, kesler.

Sack off barkley unless we're struggling with injuries.

Ramsey becomes main back up midfielder

I don't think we're quite at the 'try stuff and see what works' stage yet. Actually, after Newcastle, we've only actually got 3 matches against 'easy' opponents, so I guess we'll need to play our strongest team in most matches just to make sure we don't get battered.

I think he’ll enjoy playing with Sanson. It gives him a little extra protection and they both work hard. Ultimately, they will drive each other on to be better. 

You can see Smith really likes McGinn, so I don’t expect him to be dropped anytime soon. 

On 05/03/2021 at 18:54, useless said:

No I think mcginn needs to track his runners and show for the ball. Mcginn does all the flashy shit. He beats his man, makes some nice turns, hits shots well, presses well when the ball is on the last man and he snuffs a chance at goal and plays nice balls.

But when he does these things he sacrifices his position, his energy and his defence as well as his short range passing. Mcginn needs to receive the ball and play a pass but he doesn't do that instead he is lazy and hides.

Maybe it is a tactical issue but our midfielders try to receive the ball from the defence one by one rather than 2 or 3 coming so we have options to collect the ball and pass to. Instead we are predictable and resort to hoofing. But I don't think mcginn receives the ball off the defence mroe than once per game and that is a flaw in his game. 

16 hours ago, Awol said:

Brilliant in-depth look at McGinn over the last three seasons:

Think his arguements are a bit flawed. Mcginn has played as a LDM and RCM this season so of course his touches are more spread out.

His lack of dribbling is due to him losing a yard of pace because of all the weight he has put on (a lot of it is muscle but he looks like he has 2 stone heavier than he was in the championship). He still doesn't receive the ball from the defence and it makes us really really predictable because we always have to pass to Luiz then to mings for him to hoof it rather than Luiz having a pass to mcginn. 

Â