John McGinn

PompeyVillan

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I like him but as a transfer target he's completely unrealistic, never coming to us and not worth the £50m odd they'd want for him 

for me its a complete Bruce style signing. Player played well against us and we try sign him

I dont see it happening

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Starting to think, John was also a more important player for us than we realized.

And his collapse in form has coincided with our decline as well.

He used to keep things ticking over, win everything and was also a goal threat.

Him being so out of form might also Abe to do with everything else being disjointed.

Drano obviously relies on hi heavily, currently letting himself and the team down.

I genuinely don't think he is as bad as recent form suggests.

What's happened?!

1. his injury

2. The Prem is too much of a step up

3. Playing a different role than in the Championship

4. Possibly the lifestyle that earning 50k+ a week offers. Heard he was told to work out in the gym more often. Just an assumption but I know it would change a lot of people, including myself.

Edited by LxYoungAVFC

Feels if we play a 3 he needs to be just given free man role to get forward into box as much as he can.

I mean we did it in the championship and early part of premier league and that was with two wide players and Grealish in central midfield so the structure allows it more now.

Yet tonight we had Sanson as most advanced midfielder to press and get around edge of the box.

One league goal all season is it?

I think going forward him and Sanson will be too similar as players so going to be case of either/or I think and doubt we've invested 15m on one of them to be a bench warmer.

19 minutes ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

1. his injury

2. The Prem is too much of a step up

3. Playing a different role than in the Championship

4. Possibly the lifestyle that earning 50k+ a week offers. Heard he was told to work out in the gym more often. Just an assumption but I know it would change a lot of people, including myself.

Out of likes, but I'm sure in Jacks last interview, he mentioned that McGinn has now started doing gym work, but joked he can't keep up with him etc.

Good that he has at least started I guess.

Although in this day and age, with how the game is played, I don't see how any player thinks they can perform at their peak, at the top level, without it!

I personally think strength and conditioning should be mandatory.

What is this absolute nonsense about the premier league being too much of a step up for him? 

He's knackered and out of form like the rest of them. He'll certainly improve next season, and probably for many more seasons to come. He's just been playing too many minutes. We simply need a bigger squad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevpants said:

The criticism of him is ridiculous. He’s a wholly capable premier league midfielder. Combative and competitive and important in attack and defence.

He’s part of a midfield that is getting overrun at the moment. Mainly because they don’t have an out ball that sticks or a creative player to give the ball to. 

He's one of the reasons why it gets overrun. He's too slow to be a top level player. By slow I mean his passing. He's off balance more often than not therefore needs an extra touch to control by which time an opposing player either nicks the ball off him or Mcginn wins or gives away a free kick. He's also not good enough to be so one footed.

He is an okay premier League player but if Villa have realistic ambitions of breaking the top 6 then Mcginn needs to be the class joker from the bench or the training ground. 

He'll have 3/4 good games a season but his limitations are a hindrance. 

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 2

McGinn might be good enough as a squad player.

Re: Ward-Prowse, someone like him. A player who has been performing well in the PL for a few seasons at a team in and around midtable to the top half.

A signing like this shows intent albeit a rather expensive one I agree. Other than that it's a 'hit and hope' signing a la Sanson who needs time to get up and running.

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Who comes in for him? 

Its Fulham at home so you'd hope 55%+ possession so that's not Nakamba, Ramsey I don't mind him getting game time but he's struggling to make his mark on games, Barkley is even worse

I agree that he should be dropped or at least subbed because he's been poor for a while now but at the same time the squad options are so poor we're stuck with him 

In the summer I think we replace him, midfield of Luiz, sanson and then A.N.Other with McGinn, Nakamba and Ramsey as options on the bench, even then the bench is weak 

I would play Marvelous for SJM at the moment. He is much better at gaining possession for us and he gives the ball away far less often. I can’t think of a single reason to pick SJM ahead of him at the moment. SJM is currently nothing more than a passenger,

6 hours ago, vreitti said:

What is this absolute nonsense about the premier league being too much of a step up for him? 

He's knackered and out of form like the rest of them. He'll certainly improve next season, and probably for many more seasons to come. He's just been playing too many minutes. We simply need a bigger squad.

He has been out of form in the PL for way over a year now. That’s more than just a form issue. You can’t fault him for effort but he is just not influencing games in any way. I have no confidence in him improving next season. I would sell him in the summer whilst we may still get a decent fee for him, thank him for his service and move on.

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Starting to think, John was also a more important player for us than we realized.

And his collapse in form has coincided with our decline as well.

He used to keep things ticking over, win everything and was also a goal threat.

Him being so out of form might also have to do with everything else being disjointed.

Deano obviously relies on hi heavily, currently letting himself and the team down.

I genuinely don't think he is as bad as recent form suggests.

What's happened?!

He's been run into the ground last season and this. I actually think it's irresponsible management. 

Before his broken ankle people were calling for him to be rested and were flabbergasted he was playing 90 minutes constantly.

We have tried to make him a  DM when he was at his best for us as a box to box midfielder. We have previous with this as we did exactly the same with Petrov. It took him about 18 months to adjust. Yes he has been poor but it was not that long ago we were saying that Man U would have to pay 50 mil for him so we have changed our tune on him as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Unpopular opinion but I actually think he’s our best central midfielder. Not because he’s great, but because the rest of them are average/poor. 

Has to play every game for us. 

I dont know i think its because he runs a lot that he looks good and is doing something but in reality is leaving big midfield gaps that Luiz and Sanson cant cover

Gerrard syndrome, looks great if it works but lacks tactical discipline

3 hours ago, M_Afro said:

I would play Marvelous for SJM at the moment. He is much better at gaining possession for us and he gives the ball away far less often. I can’t think of a single reason to pick SJM ahead of him at the moment. SJM is currently nothing more than a passenger,

Vs spurs I'm the same

Vs Fulham it's not a game for Nakamba, not good enough in possession 

Â