John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Mcginn is an odd one, last season at the start of the season he was on fire, he then fizzled out and then went onto be injured. Ever since he came back he's not been the player he was. He's lost his intensity and his running all over the place so much although there were shades of it against Wolves. Mcginn isn't scoring and it's a real shame to see that happen because he's happiest when he's attacking the opposition. Now whether Smith is telling him to reserve himself and concentrate on other parts of his game I do not know. One thing is while ever Jack is out on the left, we do need a midfielder as an attacker so why not let Mcginn be that guy and see how good he can be at pressuring opposition. Have Luiz the usual CDM cutting balls out while Sanson plays interceptor and attacker and plays in-between Luiz and Mginn. Sanson seems to have a very good accurate pass one thing for certain is we can't have our three midfielders doing the same thing and earlier in the season our three Midfielders were playing very much different and teams just couldn't deal with that, lately as TRO says in the Smith thread is they are just to samey and because of it they are not as effective.

7 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Mcginn is an odd one, last season at the start of the season he was on fire, he then fizzled out and then went onto be injured. Ever since he came back he's not been the player he was. He's lost his intensity and his running all over the place so much although there were shades of it against Wolves. Mcginn isn't scoring and it's a real shame to see that happen because he's happiest when he's attacking the opposition. Now whether Smith is telling him to reserve himself and concentrate on other parts of his game I do not know. One thing is while ever Jack is out on the left, we do need a midfielder as an attacker so why not let Mcginn be that guy and see how good he can be at pressuring opposition. Have Luiz the usual CDM cutting balls out while Sanson plays interceptor and attacker and plays in-between Luiz and Mginn. Sanson seems to have a very good accurate pass one thing for certain is we can't have our three midfielders doing the same thing and earlier in the season our three Midfielders were playing very much different and teams just couldn't deal with that, lately as TRO says in the Smith thread is they are just to samey and because of it they are not as effective.

I'll quote Mourinho

The difference between a top player and a good player is a top player being able to show the full of their ability on a consistent basis. A good player fails to do this and will only give you brilliance in moments.

That being said i think McGinn have been played out of position in too many occasions this season to make room for Barkley which has not exactly benefited him.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave-R said:

He's been much better than even the player at the start of last season, who despite scoring a few goals was barely involved in the play. He's back to being his combative self as a result of sitting deeper this season and gets on the ball more. I'd rather have this McGinn than the one that was just hanging around Wesley all game last season and scoring the odd goal.

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

He's been much better than even the player at the start of last season, who despite scoring a few goals was barely involved in the play. He's back to being his combative self as a result of sitting deeper this season and gets on the ball more. I'd rather have this McGinn than the one that was just hanging around Wesley all game last season and scoring the odd goal.

He'd scored some goals at the start of last season yes but I also noticed him alot more than I do now in games. I think part of the teams problem is we always seem to have one main guy who does the most and it's been Grealish for fair while now. I remember in last season while Mcginn was making himself noticed that at that time Grealish himself was very quiet, then once Grealish started opening up and carrying us Mcginn then went quiet before his injury.

It's a strange one we just always seem to go through with our players.

13 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I know. He's a bad un' that one. He's got tattoos, bleaches his beard and I'm pretty sure I saw him smoking around the back of the bike shed one day.

Just now, rodders0223 said:

Actually incredible he is undroppable. Unsubbable.  Unsuitable.

Bloke does nothing except waddle around ping a floaty ball 50 yards and fall over.

Trotting out for the equaliser about summed him up

If Ramsey, Barkley and now McGinn aren’t good enough who are we meant to play genius?

Just isn't good enough.

He's slow, gets constantly caught in possession and gives the ball away. His lofty left-footed passes seem to be what is most important.

Needs benched for Sanson, it's a combination not yet tried. 

McGinn is the weak link. He's just not a first-team PL player, squad player at best.

• Like 1

ok, im gonna say it, i dont think McGinn is good enough if we want to get to the next level.

A decent squad player, but not a starter for me in a team where we want to challenge for top 8ish.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

Holding the ball at the corner flag in the 85th minute is just stupid and plain embarassing.

It was actually the 90th minute. What was more embarrassing was being offside going for goal in the 93rd minute. When could have gone to corner.

• Like 1

There are still a couple of midfield combinations we haven't tried and they all are without McGinn.

Nakamba based on his figures and performances should be in he team, Sanson is the best all-rounder we have and Luiz is Mr. Cool.

Ramsey also offers more than McGinn.

McGinn needs benched we have better options than him.

I have had this nagging feeling all-along that he isn't good enough for the PL since the day we were promoted.

• Like 1

Â