John McGinn

PompeyVillan

50 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

One word. 5 letters. Begins with T. Rhymes with mole. 

I'm not a troll. This is m  honest opinion, I feel mcginn hurts us more than he contributes due to his lack of effort at least 50% of the time. 

Have to agree with you there. 
SJM has been awesome since the cabbage got him. But we will struggle to get any higher up the table with him in.(not just him 2-3 more need upgrading but centre mid is huge position at this level and the big one for me next)

He really does not track back well and should be sitting on at least 4-5 more goals. If He does both those things we would have least 6 more points, more than likely quite a few more. 
There’s been a fair few goals that have come from him basically stopping and letting runners come in unchecked. 

He’s just not quite at the level we need. Doesn’t score doesn’t stop the other team score, doesn’t dictate the play, what does he do ? 
Absolutely not a bad player but we’re not breaking top 6 with him there in my opinion. 

• Like 2

Edit 

he’s only good enough to help get us top 10 (hopefully) of the prem. which is pretty remarkable really.  

And he defo has the ability in there to take those chances he’s missed and track the runners he just hasn’t yet. Love nothing more than to see him do it. 

Agree with you there. Midfield is our major weakness as we stand. 
love or hate the wingers we have they have all contributed considerably. More goal threat and ability in centre mid creates  more for those out wide. 

2 hours ago, Eliseav said:

Agree with you there. Midfield is our major weakness as we stand. 
love or hate the wingers we have they have all contributed considerably. More goal threat and ability in centre mid creates  more for those out wide. 

I believe both midfield and Winger solution can be majorly uograded in the summer so long as the Owners put a big pot of gold in. If Lange gets a 140 mill upwards cheque then it will show the intent of the Owners and that I think were ready to bring in some serious players.

But of course if it's any lower then we're probably going to just buy more of what we have been and hoping some players work out.

I think the sales of Ghazi and Trezegeut would certainly hint at some big hitters coming in. Sending Barkley back as I think is a dead cert unless he pulls his sock up will also signed were after a permanent replacement and one who is on the level of Grealish or somewhat near..

As for Mcginn, he may be best as a sub going forward, again the club have to move on upwards and if some first eleven players find it abit difficult, then those positions need some serious signings who can come in and make it work for a full 90.

• Like 1

I think SJM is more than capable of playing/starting in a top 6 side but we need the SJM of 18 months ago - before his injury and when Utd were linked with a £50m+ bid.  For me, he is not at the same energy/fitness levels as back then.  He needs to follow Jack's gym regime and get spending time with Ollie Stevenson if he wants to get back to those levels and really optimise his potential - I did see somewhere that he had acknowledged this.

Give him a pre-season and bit more competition - Sanson will settle in and we are being linked with, say, Berge - and he is going to have to step up next season to remain as a starter.

• Like 1

Slightly surprised when looking at his League stats. Played 101 League games for us and scored 12 goals. For Villa he has 93 games and scored 10 times. 

Thought he scored a lot more for Hibs but so far has shown a similar strike rate for Villa.  Even when at St Mirren he played just under 90 games but only scored 4 times.

However, goals have dried up somewhat once Villa got back to the Premier League . Much higher class of League of course and certainly since the injury, the jury must be out as to how far he will go in this League...........but his stats show he has never been a prolific goal scorer.

If we are at the point that a % of people really think McGinn isn’t good enough to start then Smith has done an unbelievable job in terms of our progression.

For my money he’s definitely a top half PL midfielder. He nearly has 100 games for us and I hope he gets 200. If he doesn’t because we find someone better, so be it, but he’s clearly a great guy to have at the club whatever.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Eliseav said:

SJM has been awesome since the cabbage got him. But we will struggle to get any higher up the table with him in.

Wouldn't massively disagree. But a 9th place finish next season will very likely be a good season. Just as it would this year.

23 hours ago, Eliseav said:

He really does not track back well and should be sitting on at least 4-5 more goals. If He does both those things we would have least 6 more points, more than likely quite a few more. 

There’s been a fair few goals that have come from him basically stopping and letting runners come in unchecked. 

He’s just not quite at the level we need. Doesn’t score doesn’t stop the other team score, doesn’t dictate the play, what does he do ? 
Absolutely not a bad player but we’re not breaking top 6 with him there in my opinion. 

He attempts to do it all.

The reason most of our play ends up going through him, even when he's playing badly is because he moves to make something happen. Sheff Utd was infuriating. Every move seemed to end with McGinn putting in the same bad cross from the same spot. No one else did anything. No one even tried. They passed the buck and as always John McGinn was there to pick it up.

I don't think he's fit, and I don't think he's over his ankle injury, and without knowing I don't think he's over covid.

I don't think we've seen the last of blockbuster dynamo McGinn we saw from March - December 2019. Couldn't tell you when he'll reappear though. Maybe it's more hope than expectation.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

We’ve just given him a bumper new contract haven’t we? It will be an awkward conversation  to ask the owners for a shed load of cash to finance an alternative. I suppose strength in depth will be a key phrase. 

Probably because we paid 3 quid for him, Anybody that thinks he's worth circa £50/60m is off their tit 

5 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

I've found it strange this season that our goal stats from midfielders is so poor.

Both McGinn and Luiz clearly have goals in their game, but both of them rarely shoot and when they do it rarely troubles the keeper.

I agree. Maybe because we channel so many of our attacks down the wings, not sure really. A bit disappointed that more goals aren’t coming from defence either, would love to see a couple of goals from Targett and Cash before the season is out.

12 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

If we are at the point that a % of people really think McGinn isn’t good enough to start then Smith has done an unbelievable job in terms of our progression.

For my money he’s definitely a top half PL midfielder. He nearly has 100 games for us and I hope he gets 200. If he doesn’t because we find someone better, so be it, but he’s clearly a great guy to have at the club whatever.

When results aren’t going well there’s certain players fans want dropped even though there’s no better alternative to take his place.  Can we improve on Mcginn in the summer? Of course we can.  Can we improve on him right now? I don’t think so.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

When results aren’t going well there’s certain players fans want dropped even though there’s no better alternative to take his place.  Can we improve on Mcginn in the summer? Of course we can.  Can we improve on him right now? I don’t think so.

We could improve him though by playing him as a proper attacking midfielder. He's rubbish sitting back.

Â