John McGinn

PompeyVillan

17 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Mid table player at best.

Just my opinion. I think he is highly overrated in here.

That being said i still like him. Just don't think he should be a starter.

We dont have that many top 6 players to be picky 

• Like 2

He played okay last night I thought.

He has a good a attacking threat and can play some real killer passes along the floor, whilst also having the ability to break up attacks.

John McGinn is still a solid player for us and a vital part of our team.

• Like 1

Sometimes you have to mix it up so putting SJM on the bench for a game or two seems like a good idea.

Would give him a little bit of a rest , still use him as a sub but more importantly give opposition coaches something different to think about.

• Like 2

To me, he doesn't look - physically - like the player that first joined us.  He looks heavier in his backside (I know he does use it) and his face etc. but I preferred the livewire duracell bunny rutting player that we initially had.

If you look at Jack's physique, working with Ollie Stevenson, he has become an athlete.  I think SJM needs a bit of this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, newhavenhibby said:

Sometimes you have to mix it up so putting SJM on the bench for a game or two seems like a good idea.

Would give him a little bit of a rest , still use him as a sub but more importantly give opposition coaches something different to think about.

I think the reason I’ve been harping on about him being clearly out of form is exactly this. We saw his game drop significantly last season when playing pretty much every game up until Southampton. I have to wonder why Deano never wants to drop him and give him a rest. 

22 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

He played okay last night I thought.

He has a good a attacking threat and can play some real killer passes along the floor, whilst also having the ability to break up attacks.

John McGinn is still a solid player for us and a vital part of our team.

I thought he was okay too. He should have scored though, that was a sitter!

I think opinions on John are very much judged on the result. We win he played well, we fail to win it means he needs to be dropped and isn’t good enough. When in reality it’s something in between. 

Does he look at his best? No. Will any of the other midfielders we have available be able to offer more? I dont think so. 

• Like 1

On 03/03/2021 at 20:55, villalad21 said:

Mid table player at best.

Just my opinion. I think he is highly overrated in here.

That being said i still like him. Just don't think he should be a starter.

Is that a joke? I haven’t seen a player get as much unfair criticism that McGinn does in a very long. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Is that a joke? I haven’t seen a player get as much unfair criticism that McGinn does in a very long. 

I invite you to the Wesley thread. The guy hasn't kicked a football in 16 months yet he is still shit.

Or maybe the Dean Smith thread who apparently reached his ceiling who can't make subs.

Or maybe the AEG thread, the guy who scored what, 7 goals this season? And he is branded as sub par.

Take your pick ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

To me, he doesn't look - physically - like the player that first joined us.  He looks heavier in his backside (I know he does use it) and his face etc. but I preferred the livewire duracell bunny rutting player that we initially had.

If you look at Jack's physique, working with Ollie Stevenson, he has become an athlete.  I think SJM needs a bit of this.

That has struck me too.

4 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I invite you to the Wesley thread. The guy hasn't kicked a football in 16 months yet he is still shit.

Or maybe the Dean Smith thread who apparently reached his ceiling who can't make subs.

Or maybe the AEG thread, the guy who scored what, 7 goals this season? And he is branded as sub par.

Take your pick ;)

Guy Whittingham, scored loads of goals in his career too...........?

some players score goals and offer not much else.....Their overall play is Meh.

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I thought he was okay too. He should have scored though, that was a sitter!

I think opinions on John are very much judged on the result. We win he played well, we fail to win it means he needs to be dropped and isn’t good enough. When in reality it’s something in between. 

Does he look at his best? No. Will any of the other midfielders we have available be able to offer more? I dont think so. 

Not for me.....I watched him carefully all game.....not the John McGinn ,I know.

I don't know, what has happened to him, but he is not the player he was.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not for me.....I watched him carefully all game.....not the John McGinn ,I know.

Ok then he is also judged on how good he can be. He set his own standard very high and hasn’t been able to continue at those heights. Doesn’t mean he is playing poorly and needs to be dropped.  I personally do not think our midfield options will be better.  Seems Smith feels the same way. 

I thought he played well enough, and has been one of our better players this season, unless he needs a rest for fitness reasons then no way he should be dropped.

I don't know what is, but most fans don't seem to know what they're talking about when it comes to midfielders, they're always harshly judged unless they look like world beaters, you also see it when people name their preferred midfields for Villa and England, so many seem to think that you can play one DM and then a bunch of no.10 types, without any regards to balance. Perhaps because it's a position that requires a much more nuanced understanding to appreciate, as opposed to strikers, where they're judged on goals, wings assists, defenders stopping the opposition scoring and so on.

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

maybe the injury last season, the amount of games, covid. Its all taken its toll. I'm sure he will get back to his best again, hes still only 26

20 minutes ago, useless said:

I thought he played well enough, and has been one of our better players this season, unless he needs a rest for fitness reasons then no way he should be dropped.

I don't know what is, but most fans don't seem to know what they're talking about when it comes to midfielders, they're always harshly judged unless they look like world beaters, you also see it when people name their preferred midfields for Villa and England, so many seem to think that you can play one DM and then a bunch of no.10 types, without any regards to balance. Perhaps because it's a position that requires a much more nuanced understanding to appreciate, as opposed to strikers, where they're judged on goals, wings assists, defenders stopping the opposition scoring and so on.

I think you have a point....it is all about balance.

However, I would not be bold enough to suggest that......for me there is not enough variation in our midfielders, but its just my opinion.....we lack in certain things.

Some of the posters on here have been watching our team for so many years, if they don't know what a midfielder looks like, they have been wasting their money.....we should have a mix of CDM-CM & a CAM.....Take your pick.

I think we have too many of the same type, in the squad.

Â