John McGinn

PompeyVillan

18 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

For my money he’s definitely a top half PL midfielder. He nearly has 100 games for us and I hope he gets 200. 

Agreed, but that's when he is on form.

He has been bang out of form for a while though.

Although, in one of our recent games, he showed signs of the old McGinn.

Basically, I'd reckon the fan base unanimously want to keep him.

The argument is whether/why he should be starting no matter what form he is in.

We need to be able to replace him in the team when he is totally off it 

Now I'm starting to get frustrated. Reputation above level of performances, how he is deemed to be absolutely undroppable by the staff is rather baffling to me. Sure, his peers haven't been much better, but everyone else's place is there to be competed for. His isn't. 

Get our £3 million (or whatever it was for him) and let Celtic have him and use it towards a bid for Ward-Prowse or someone similar.

If we are happy with mid-table mediocrity again next season by all means keep playing him, I can't understand what Smith sees in him?

- Inefficient use of energy

- poor decision making & concentration

- one footed

- slow since injury

- predictable

- 178cm (according to Transfermarkt but I'm sure he's smaller)

£15m max and should be a squad player. Still love him though.

3 minutes ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

- Inefficient use of energy

- poor decision making & concentration

- one footed

- slow since injury

- predictable

- 178cm (according to Transfermarkt but I'm sure he's smaller)

£15m max and should be a squad player. Still love him though.

And...

- gives the ball away on average three times every match.

Squad player at best.

The criticism of him is ridiculous. He’s a wholly capable premier league midfielder. Combative and competitive and important in attack and defence.

He’s part of a midfield that is getting overrun at the moment. Mainly because they don’t have an out ball that sticks or a creative player to give the ball to. 

• Like 1

If he starts our next game then I want Dean’s resignation. I love SJM for his attitude, enthusiasm and everything that he has done for our club but he has been rubbish for 12 months. Mr undroppable!

Just now, kevpants said:

The criticism of him is ridiculous. He’s a wholly capable premier league midfielder. Combative and competitive and important in attack and defence.

He’s part of a midfield that is getting overrun at the moment. Mainly because they don’t have an out ball that sticks or a creative player to give the ball to. 

No he's been pants since his injury.

10 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Get our £3 million (or whatever it was for him) and let Celtic have him and use it towards a bid for Ward-Prowse or someone similar.

If we are happy with mid-table mediocrity again next season by all means keep playing him, I can't understand what Smith sees in him?

Do you not think he's a good rnough squad player?

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

If he starts our next game then I want Dean’s resignation. I love SJM for his attitude, enthusiasm and everything that he has done for our club but he has been rubbish for 12 months. Mr undroppable!

Who comes in for him? 

Its Fulham at home so you'd hope 55%+ possession so that's not Nakamba, Ramsey I don't mind him getting game time but he's struggling to make his mark on games, Barkley is even worse

I agree that he should be dropped or at least subbed because he's been poor for a while now but at the same time the squad options are so poor we're stuck with him 

In the summer I think we replace him, midfield of Luiz, sanson and then A.N.Other with McGinn, Nakamba and Ramsey as options on the bench, even then the bench is weak 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

mm Ward Prowse hasnt finished in a top 10 side in 4 seasons and I think except his free kicks he isnt great in open play

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

mm Ward Prowse hasnt finished in a top 10 side in 4 seasons and I think except his free kicks he isnt great in open play

I like him but as a transfer target he's completely unrealistic, never coming to us and not worth the £50m odd they'd want for him 

Starting to think, John was also a more important player for us than we realized.

And his collapse in form has coincided with our decline as well.

He used to keep things ticking over, win everything and was also a goal threat.

Him being so out of form might also have to do with everything else being disjointed.

Deano obviously relies on hi heavily, currently letting himself and the team down.

I genuinely don't think he is as bad as recent form suggests.

What's happened?!

We need to try

Nakamba, Luiz and Sanson in front.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Â