John McGinn

PompeyVillan

11 hours ago, grobs said:

He’s not very good at all at this level 

He was but he hasn't been since his ankle snapped. Came back too bulky hasn't shed it whether it's muscle or not. Can't move. Can't run. Just no agility at all even when it comes to recieving the ball in tight spaces and turning.

He's done.

I thought he came out and was much better second half. But was infuriating when in the 89th minute at 1-0 up he decided to try and waste time when we had a corner. There were 5 minutes left and he lost the ball after 1 second. This was a crap Newcastle side we should be showing more ambition than trying to hang onto a lead in the corner. Embarrassing. Fair enough in a game you’re under the kosh in against a Man City or something.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

He was but he hasn't been since his ankle snapped. Came back too bulky hasn't shed it whether it's muscle or not. Can't move. Can't run. Just no agility at all even when it comes to recieving the ball in tight spaces and turning.

He's done.

I'm not convinced this is the case, he has been poor prior to his injury and also  very good after his injury.

I think he's just an inconsistent player who possibly suffers from having to play every minute of every game with no rotation, ever, whatsoever. 

• Like 1

He's a bit of a headless chicken and it's his style but I wonder if that's good enough for us going forward. 

The centre of midfield is the most important position in the team for me at this level and although McGinn has great energy and can pick a nice pass, his passing is mainly woeful, he keeps losing 50/50s and he's not a player who can control a game.

I hope a good preseason can find the McGinn of old but he doesn't look the same player as he was in the Championship and the first few games of last season.

If not he should be one of the first players we look to improve on.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

McGinn just Interviewed.

Straight up said " We were rubbish, the game was rubbish, and rubbish to play in "

If he was less rubbish himself, it might not have been so rubbish. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

Really not understanding why people are hammering McGinn. Yes, he's been below par for his standards but in the last game he was one of our better performers.

The manger clearly trusts him which is why he's asked to do different things game to game. This is also why others have been rested ahead of him.

Good player, struggling recently but looks like he's on the way back.

I find it bizarre. I think it’s a case of it it ain’t working we want the manager to keep changing it until it work like against Leeds. But then keep it the same team for the next game unless that doesn’t work either.  McGinn hasn’t been great. But he’s still been the best of a bad bunch in my opinion.

On 15/03/2021 at 19:04, jimmygreaves said:

Really not understanding why people are hammering McGinn. Yes, he's been below par for his standards but in the last game he was one of our better performers.

The manger clearly trusts him which is why he's asked to do different things game to game. This is also why others have been rested ahead of him.

Didn't close out in the 94th minute on a crosser. That is the very definition of Lazy. 

He consistently does things like this. He presses hard when the defenders have the ball because if he wins he it he is through on goal. But every other time he is lazy as ****. He doesn't run back when he is out of position let's men run through. He doesn't close out on wingers.

I'm sick and tired of watching him be the laziest player on the pitch (2nd after Barkley) and people claim he has good energy. He doesn't he has come back looking 20lbs heavier than he did in the championship. He has no agility and loses the ball regularly on unnecessary gambles.

He relies on shaky fouls to bail him out of losing the ball. His passing has been suspect. He shoots in terrible positions. People have a go at El Ghazi for it but he doesn't shoot from terrible angles or from 45 yards out like mcginn. 

Edited by MotoMkali

On 15/03/2021 at 15:04, jimmygreaves said:

I'm only speaking for myself, but I don't think my issues are with SJM. It's more with Dean giving him chance after chance after chance to play himself out of a slump when not giving others (Luiz, Nakamba, Ghazi, Ramsay, could also include Sanson) this same chance. Especially when he looks the most in need of a rest and the 2 midfielders get subbed off instead. 

I keep thinking that ankle injury last season changed parts of the way which he approaches the game 

If players around him aren't finding space then he has no option  other than a long speculative pass or an attempt  to carry the ball past opposition  players, to find some space. ( or lose the ball) 

It's a problem  we have had over the last 6 or so games. Players are hiding when we have the ball, not showing for the ball and not working  for the player who has the ball. It's leading to us turning  over possession  to easily . 

McGinn has only been below-par because the system and how Smith is playing him, or has mainly been playing him, isn't that box to box style that we saw in the Championship. Personally, I think it's because Luiz has been a bit under-par lately. Get McGinn a better partner and he will be allowed to do more. I think McGinn plays better with Nakamba.

1 hour ago, TheFirstMan said:

McGinn has only been below-par because the system and how Smith is playing him, or has mainly been playing him, isn't that box to box style that we saw in the Championship. Personally, I think it's because Luiz has been a bit under-par lately. Get McGinn a better partner and he will be allowed to do more. I think McGinn plays better with Nakamba.

Or get a better partner for Luiz. 

Of the two he's younger, more talented, has a higher ceiling and I would submit that in the premier league he's had as many if not more good games than McGinn, even if he isn't having his brightest spell.

Don't get me wrong, I like McGinn a lot. 

• Like 1

On 17/03/2021 at 20:42, MotoMkali said:

Didn't close out in the 94th minute on a crosser. That is the very definition of Lazy. 

He consistently does things like this. He presses hard when the defenders have the ball because if he wins he it he is through on goal. But every other time he is lazy as ****. He doesn't run back when he is out of position let's men run through. He doesn't close out on wingers.

I'm sick and tired of watching him be the laziest player on the pitch (2nd after Barkley) and people claim he has good energy. He doesn't he has come back looking 20lbs heavier than he did in the championship. He has no agility and loses the ball regularly on unnecessary gambles.

He relies on shaky fouls to bail him out of losing the ball. His passing has been suspect. He shoots in terrible positions. People have a go at El Ghazi for it but he doesn't shoot from terrible angles or from 45 yards out like mcginn. 

Up there amongst the posts I completely disagree with.

SJM isn’t at his best but to call him lazy is borderline insanity.

1 hour ago, Robbie09 said:

Up there amongst the posts I completely disagree with.

SJM isn’t at his best but to call him lazy is borderline insanity.

It is just a fact. He does the highlight presses but not the gritty hard work that actually matters. He doesn't track his man (5 or 6 goals we have conceded have come from this), doesn't consistently close out wide literally just cost us our last game, rarely shows for the ball whether it's from the defence or to another midfielder. When he gets late to an attacker he still puts in a clumsy challenge which gives away a foul and gets him booked when he should just run back to get into position. 

Since restart mcginn has slowly but surely become my least favourite player because he has had about 5 good games, 5 OK games and 20 games were he has been the worst player on the pitch. The other 10 are the games barkley was playing and was the undisputed worst player on the pitch. He either needs to sort his game out or Smith needs to stop giving him opportunities. 

31 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

It is just a fact. He does the highlight presses but not the gritty hard work that actually matters. He doesn't track his man (5 or 6 goals we have conceded have come from this), doesn't consistently close out wide literally just cost us our last game, rarely shows for the ball whether it's from the defence or to another midfielder. When he gets late to an attacker he still puts in a clumsy challenge which gives away a foul and gets him booked when he should just run back to get into position. 

Since restart mcginn has slowly but surely become my least favourite player because he has had about 5 good games, 5 OK games and 20 games were he has been the worst player on the pitch. The other 10 are the games barkley was playing and was the undisputed worst player on the pitch. He either needs to sort his game out or Smith needs to stop giving him opportunities. 

One word. 5 letters. Begins with T. Rhymes with mole. 

Â