John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 hour ago, Hanky said:

Looks a really good player. Impressed how good his delivery was.

I posted the highlights in the ratings and reactions thread and hadn't seen any of the goals except one of theirs and that was what really stood out. He just caresses that one ball in for Chester to nod home, the arc in and the drop trajectory gave me a bit of a lob.

Dropping in at head height between the penalty spot and six yard line, total nightmare for a defenders and goalie, total gimmies for our boys. The guys must be rubbing their hands at the goal bonuses they will be picking up from set pieces this season.

Industrious, has a wicked dead ball delivery. Quite impressed with that debut to be fair. The one thing you ask for is effort and he gave that in bucket loads, and has a good shot and pass on him. He also harries the opposition well.

The ball in for Chester’s goal was a beaut, tempted the keeper into coming for a ball he was never going to get. The corners were all on the money too.

I think we have a good one here! 

• Like 2

It was encouraging to see him make runs behind the defence, we haven’t had a midfielder do that often for years (Lansbury did it on debut and has never since as we moved him further back). On this occasion he was never found, hope he doesn’t stop making these and Jack will stay to notice them more and will find him.

Very impressed!

The swerve he gets on the ball when he crosses is excellent.

Every time he crossed it I thought "Too close to the keeper... oh, wait.. what a ball!"

Was it him that crossed it for Kodjia's header that he blazed over?

1 minute ago, Thug said:

Was it him that crossed it for Kodjia's header that he blazed over

Yep but Kodija was flagged offside would not have counted.

Great debut will only get better when we get a settled team and he learns others games.  They will learn his too of course.

It will be nice to give the opposition 2 players to think about instead of just pass it to Jack!

• Like 1

A midfielder that runs up and down the pitch!  Closing players down and good with the ball. To think at villa we've been so used to the midfielder that hasn't got those energy levels and is happy marking space/zones.  Hopefully our other midfielders take note and get a bit fitter!

• Like 1

Â