John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

????? Not sure if I am getting confused but Bjarnasson did not play left back on Saturday. 

He looked like he was on the left for a lot of the game. I have to a admit bruces tactics on Saturday were a bit confusing because he looked cm at times but then left back.

He wasn't as bad as some people make out though 

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Nope second goal took two other touches it won’t go as an assist.

I was also saying Jack has an assist from corners, which McGinn doesn’t 

Thats an assist in my eyes, but hey ho its all down to interpretation.

In Reverse...............I wouldn't think the Wigan player heading out would be claiming an assisted own goal.

6 hours ago, John said:

Agreed and I was there when Brian Little, Andy Gray, Dennis Mortimer and Dean Saunders made their debuts. He has made a really promising start. :)

Don't forget Simon Stainrod....on second thoughts let's not taint the thread.

12 hours ago, Thug said:

I was so disappointed when I saw Jack taking a corner! Let McGinn take them!

Funnily enough I never thought his corner taking for Hibs was that good and last season preferred to see Scott Allan and this season Mallan take them.

When I watched the highlights of the Villa game I was impressed with McGinns corners and don't know if that was due to better and stronger players in the penalty area making more of them as each one looked dangerous. 

As I have said before I will wait 5 or 6 games and see how he progresses and how opposition managers set their sides up to play him now they know more about him. We found up here he started to be kicked up in the air as soon as he was on the ball and he didn't get much protection from the referees. Some better sides would man mark him and take him out the game that way.

I won't ask about Wigans first goal.............thought I was watching Scottish football again. ?

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

You missed the bit where you remind everyone that one of our own VTers is a scout for your club :thumb:

And while a little off topic maybe, I'd just like to say it's wicked having some Scots about the place. This club has always had strong links north of the border since that Scottish bloke turned up and invented league footie right? ;)

William-McGregor-Statue-Villa-Park.jpg?f

George Ramsey - Archie Hunter - Alex Massie - Vic Milne - Jimmie MacEwan - Andy Lochhead - Bruce Rioch - Andy Gray - Charlie Aitken - Ken McNaught - Allan Evans - Des Bremner - all have a place in our history.

In modern years more acquired tastes with cult figures like Snodgrass and Hutton or VT 'legends' like Bannan. Not so sure about Billy McNeil though.....

Scottish lion on the crest and all that. And as for us inventing Claret and Blue....

http://www.scotzine.com/2016/03/aston-villa-and-its-scottish-roots/

Anyway, well done McGinn. Sounds like he had a great debut and if we've found a busy little terrier type there are a few heads on here (me included) who are going to be very happy indeed ( @TRO buddy I'm looking at you :thumb: )

Bildresultat för alex mcleish

1 hour ago, newhavenhibby said:

Funnily enough I never thought his corner taking for Hibs was that good and last season preferred to see Scott Allan and this season Mallan take them.

When I watched the highlights of the Villa game I was impressed with McGinns corners and don't know if that was due to better and stronger players in the penalty area making more of them as each one looked dangerous. 

As I have said before I will wait 5 or 6 games and see how he progresses and how opposition managers set their sides up to play him now they know more about him. We found up here he started to be kicked up in the air as soon as he was on the ball and he didn't get much protection from the referees. Some better sides would man mark him and take him out the game that way.

I won't ask about Wigans first goal.............thought I was watching Scottish football again. ?

One of the Wigan players was certainly trying and got a booking for it, but as another poster said, it will just free up some space for Grealish to use.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Thats an assist in my eyes, but hey ho its all down to interpretation.

In Reverse...............I wouldn't think the Wigan player heading out would be claiming an assisted own goal.

I was discussing this with my Dad at the game. In my mind he was the last Villa player to touch the ball, he put the ball on the money and created the panic in Wigans defence, so it is an assist in my opinion I don't care whether it counts in the records or not.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Wearing the Villa shirt will always be a winner but my Scottish allegiance is with the Red Lichties! Arbroath to those not in the know. They have a Claret and Blue badge and my Grandparents, mothers side were from there. 

I will now have a soft spot for Hibs and St Mirren though!  

Are his brothers any good? 

Stephen McGinn is our captain and an excellent midfielder / leader. He had stints down South with Sheffield Utd and a couple of others, so he has a decent pedigree. Paul McGinn is a full-back, signed from Partick Thistle. More of a no-nonsense, no frills defender type.

Still, all those brothers carving our good careers at the fitba’. All turned out for the mighty St Mirren. (Mighty in my mind).

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Stephen McGinn is our captain and an excellent midfielder / leader. He had stints down South with Sheffield Utd and a couple of others, so he has a decent pedigree. Paul McGinn is a full-back, signed from Partick Thistle. More of a no-nonsense, no frills defender type.

Still, all those brothers carving our good careers at the fitba’. All turned out for the mighty St Mirren. (Mighty in my mind).

Sign all the McGinns! 

Whilst it’s really nice to be excited about a midfielder for us, let’s not forget Lansbury’s debut, he was running in behind the opposition, creating chances, pinging the ball about and winning tackles... we all know how that has turned out for us... let’s hope McGinn goes this way.

14 hours ago, pozbaird said:

In regard to a couple of earlier posts...If anyone is looking for a Scottish team to follow... ?

OK, here’s my Dragons’ Den pitch for following St Mirren. John McGinn is one of our own, and if you keep an eye out for our results, you will also be able to see how his brothers Stephen and Paul are doing, as they are regulars in our first team. We are five miles from Ibrox and ten from Celtic Park, so have a constant battle with huge amounts of fans in our town and county going to watch the two big uglies and ignoring their local team. We are an underdog, but not a hopelessly rubbish one, we punch above our weight, so if you pick us, you should, maybe, hopefully, see some wins. (Terms and conditions apply!)

Finally. I own an Aston Villa Nike ‘Acorns’ sponsored jersey, and wear it regularly to the gym. Which was great this week with Celtic fans there slabbering about their penny pinching directors missing out on signing John McGinn.

Pitch over. ?

Already follow St Mirren myself @pozbaird as i am one of your 1st Team Scouts have been coming up to nearly a year now :)

Only seen us lose in total 4 or 5 times since i joined!

13 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

You missed the bit where you remind everyone that one of our own VTers is a scout for your club :thumb:

He wouldn't have knew that VillaMarv ? :D

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, dukes said:

Don't forget Simon Stainrod....on second thoughts let's not taint the thread.

Don't know if its a well known story down there but up here there's an infamous story of Ian mcall taking a dump in Stainrod's shoe. ...

Â