John McGinn

PompeyVillan

9 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Whilst it’s really nice to be excited about a midfielder for us, let’s not forget Lansbury’s debut, he was running in behind the opposition, creating chances, pinging the ball about and winning tackles... we all know how that has turned out for us... let’s hope McGinn goes this way.

That’s EXACTLY what I was thinking !!!!!   Good players come here and the Villa curse “breaks” them.  I’m really hoping McGinn helps others rise to his level, rather than him lapsing back into theirs.  

On 12/08/2018 at 21:14, Kiwivillan said:

Far too positive. Bruce would never go for it

Bruce regularly played Snodgrass, Hourihane, Grealish, Adomah, and a striker, last season.

Playing Green, Hourihane, Grealish, Adomah, and a striker, but with McGinn instead of Whelan, is not significantly different surely ?

14 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Whilst it’s really nice to be excited about a midfielder for us, let’s not forget Lansbury’s debut, he was running in behind the opposition, creating chances, pinging the ball about and winning tackles... we all know how that has turned out for us... let’s hope McGinn goes this way.

Good point.

I always put the speedy demise of Lansbury down to the way he was used afterwards, ie not crossing the halfway line ( it was in the days when Bruce was overly - in my view - negative ). Since then he’s never really had much chance, and when he has, he’s largely been ineffective, although he was more like himself against Leeds Away.

It will add to the interest to see the comparison, as you say.

6 hours ago, ForfarVillan said:

Don't know if its a well known story down there but up here there's an infamous story of Ian mcall taking a dump in Stainrod's shoe. ...

Must have been every week after his Villa debut...would explain a few things (it all started off so promisingly).

15 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

This is a good point. I think the key differences are Mcginn is more of an athlete than Lansbury. So even if he is having  poor game I think his strength and speed would bail him out.

He also seems to have a massive amount of self belief. Fearless almost. 

I think he will be a real fans favourite.

Interesting points about if attention is directed at him it will allow Grealish more room and time. This certainly happened at Hibs where teams obviously targeted  McGinn but in doing so allowed our other midfielders to operate more freely. This worked well for us last year as we had then ( both left now ? ) 2 other lads who could exploit this extra time and space. Hopefully your midfield and especially Grealish can do the same.

When you have 2 midfielders like McGinn and Grealish teams will struggle to mark them both out the game / kick them both up in the air .Fortunately McGinn showed he is not fragile and could take the hard man tactics without always being out injured.

Edited by newhavenhibby

Sunshine On Leith is an incredibly hard song to sing .......even for someone who can sing.

It is only sung perhaps once or twice a year by the fans after either an important Cup victory or after beating Hearts etc (so some years it is never heard! ? ) and it has to have the record in the background to get the timings and phrasings correct........no chance JM could have pulled it off ? 

Edited by newhavenhibby

3 hours ago, dukes said:

Must have been every week after his Villa debut...would explain a few things (it all started off so promisingly).

Going a bit off topic here but whenever anyone mentions super simon stainrod I get a flashback to the moment I looked on teletext for the score on his debut v exeter(?).....Exeter 0-4 Villa (stainrod 4).

I can see it in my mind like it was yesterday....strange!

Did we win the return 8-0 for an aggregate of 12-0?

Oh and yeah, mcginn looks ace ?

58 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

Going a bit off topic here but whenever anyone mentions super simon stainrod I get a flashback to the moment I looked on teletext for the score on his debut v exeter(?).....Exeter 0-4 Villa (stainrod 4). 

I can see it in my mind like it was yesterday....strange!

Did we win the return 8-0 for an aggregate of 12-0?

Oh and yeah, mcginn looks ace ?

Nearly, 4-1 & 8-1(12-2)

Stainrod scored one more of the 8, Ormsby, Williams & Gray all scored 2 each & Paul Birch got the other

16 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Nearly, 4-1 & 8-1(12-2)

Stainrod scored one more of the 8, Ormsby, Williams & Gray all scored 2 each & Paul Birch got the other

Ha ha not like it was yesterday then!! 

Has a villa player scored 4 in a game since?

24 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

Ha ha not like it was yesterday then!! 

Has a villa player scored 4 in a game since?

Don't think so, Hell the team haven't scored 4 in that many games ;)

Still not sure it beats Chris Nicholl scoring all 4 goals in a 2-2 draw against Leicester but you can't really get a better debut than scoring all 4 goals in a game

Looked good against Wigan.

If he can consistently perform to the standard he did in that fixture then he should have no problems with this league.

How he fits in to the structure of the side will determine how good a season he has for us, but he seems to have good hustle, technique and delivery.

On 14/08/2018 at 13:29, srsmithusa said:

That’s EXACTLY what I was thinking !!!!!   Good players come here and the Villa curse “breaks” them.  I’m really hoping McGinn helps others rise to his level, rather than him lapsing back into theirs.  

It's not all up to McGiinn. I would say Lansbury is still a very capable player at this level. You can have determination, focus, drive, ability and yet still find yourself on the fringes of any plans that a coach has. Happens every season to someone. How a player performs is also largely down to the faith afforded them by the coach who sets up the agenda for both training and match days. In Lansbury's case it seems to me that Bruce doesn't have a role for him in the structure of our setup, and when he does it's not one that Lansbury has adapted to well. That doesn't mean Lansbury has lost his touch, it just means that Bruce doesn't see playing to Lansbury's strengths and giving him a suitable role in the team as a priority. You train in preparation for match day, and I have seen little evidence that Bruce has ever set out to incorporate Lansbury in to the team.

I think any success McGinn enjoys will be largely down to his ability to play the way Bruce has set us up to play, and I hope that he has been selected based on that.

Â