John McGinn

PompeyVillan

38 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

He is a good player but, if we want to move to being a possession-based team, he doesn't have the right skillset for it. 

Yes, we need less hassling and creativity and more short passing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

He is a good player but, if we want to move to being a possession-based team, he doesn't have the right skillset for it. 

Exactly this, was hoping someone would have offered silly money for him in this window 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Yes, we need less hassling and creativity and more short passing. 

I was thinking more technical skills, better passing and the ability to hold onto the ball under pressure, but nevermind. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

I do think a large issue with the perception of him is that he is for some reason never subbed off despite frequently running himself into the ground in games. He could have a stormer in the first hour of a game, but will be noticeably breathing out of his arse thereafter and for whatever reason remain on the pitch even though his influence has diminished and Villa's control on the midfield subsequently wilts a bit. I can see why managers love him but ironically think it leads to him getting managed a bit carelessly in the process. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, mykeyb said:

But but....he is crap.

I genuinely wonder what some people see when they watch us.

He is a very good player.

What I see is him not being good in tight spaces and wasting good situations by trying that stupid lofted ball. And rarely being calm on the ball and knowing when to just keep possession ticking over.

I'm not saying he doesn't have some good attributes, but 'very good player' is a stretch.

• Like 1

Don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone outright call him crap or a poor player, it’s just that he frustrates due to a lack of inconsistency and sloppiness in games. Most people love him as far as I’ve noticed…

He doesn’t help (as much as he should) in terms of retaining possession and it doesn’t suit him to play further back in midfield. His long balls (and frequency of them) are annoying and I often feel sorry for Watkins who is isolated and has to chase after them and usually ends up being crowded out by defenders…

He’s commonly quite loose and casual on the ball, has lapses in concentration too. Just never looks like a technically proficient player. Which is why I’ve never seen him as a 10 either. I see him as a pure box to box CM, an 8. He needs to be the most advanced of the midfield to show his best… but I think Ramsey is and will be better in that role…

John is more of an energetic grafter… (no shame in that, most teams require at least one) an “action type” of player rather than a “composure” or “graceful” kind.

He frustrates because we have seen when he has been in good form and produced some memorable moments for us. 

He can pick out a good pass or cross and has a decent shot on him, but won’t get so many of those opportunities playing deeper in midfield…

McGinn is at his best pressing from the front, harassing and harrying the opposition and nicking the football in dangerous (advantageous for us) positions… that’s where he offers us the most… when he give us energy, it really really helps… but he needs to be in too shape and form to produce that. Fitness and conditioning is key for him.

I think @Indigo’s point is spot on too and is one we are all aware of. John is never rested, rotated or rarely ever brought off early (or even with 20-30 mins to go) and often disappears in games. He is too favoured… needs to be working hard for his place and not be guaranteed it. But both Dean and SG adore him and seemingly overlook that… he’s definitely a positive influence/personality within the club but that still shouldn’t guarantee that he always gets in the side…

I think he has been fulfilling a role for us out of need, such as Luiz has had to do, which further highlights the need to sort out that midfield.

I also think Ramsey is our future and such a talent with so much potential - I would prioritise him over McGinn should that situation arise. I would prefer them to be competing for one spot. And in that case, JJ has got to be the main man. But, by rotating them we can keep them fresh and hopefully producing their best form.

At the same time, I acknowledge that he gets “stuck in” and does a lot of the dirty work in terms of that midfield battle. That can often go under appreciated and is required. We could just do with a hand in there from both a defensive and physical point of view. Kamara will help significantly but our midfield still looks a bit lightweight unless we add a strong player that can help us keep the ball even better (than just Kamara will and lighten the responsibility or load on him). Such as a Sangare…

Anyway, I do expect to see a lot better from the majority of our players this season… not desperate for anyone other than our fringe or “rejected” players to be sold… but there are also opportunities to bring in big fees or make major profit, possibly allowing us more freedom to bring in a genuine upgrade or two… 

Hopefully we will be a much better side this season and the balance of the team will be much improved, allowing for much better performances and more positive results.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

If you notice there is an emphasis on matching up McGinn and Kamara in that clip; an induction to the finer points of the infamous 'arse-roll' technique.

Yep. If he can get the better of McGinns rectum then we have a player on our hands 

• Haha 1

On 27/06/2022 at 01:23, Tom13 said:

What I see is him not being good in tight spaces and wasting good situations by trying that stupid lofted ball. And rarely being calm on the ball and knowing when to just keep possession ticking over.

I'm not saying he doesn't have some good attributes, but 'very good player' is a stretch.

JM is good at some things and not so good at others.....as we aspire to better things, these things become more clear.

I don't want to see him playing defensive midfield, I don't think he has the skill set for it.

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

I doubt you would find many fellow pros who don't rate JM. I think he will be even better this season, especially with all the malicious gossip being aimed his way.

What's this out of interest? 

People moaning about him trying too many long balls - rightly or wrongly this will be a direct instruction from the coaching staff and part of the match strategy. A player who consistently goes against a game plan won't last long

Â