John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Always ignore these media articles when a players agent is negotiating a new contract with the club. Cash's agend leaked the Atletico interest and he signed a new deal. I'm sure there was some Emi Martinez articles out there too before he signed. We've Watkins and McGinn in negotiation for new deals now so obviously we see transfer news about them. It's how it works

• Like 1

John Mcginn is one of those players that most opposition fans love and want him at their club.  If you catch him on his day he is some player.  However those days aren’t that often and we all know he can very limited in areas too, especially when trying to play a short passing game. 

Now surely scouts would watch him more than the odd game? If they don’t then we could potentially get good money for him. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Think he'll do well if he moves on but unfortunately doesn't offer enough different from Ramsey on the pitch. I'm sure he's good in the dressing room though, same as Mings. Difficult to know what to do when you're upgrading ability on the pitch but losing the drive and character of some of these lads. 

Liverpool are again good at this, they've kept the Milner's and Henderson's around for the squad. If we get a good offer for McGinn I hope that would mean we'd sign Young up for another season or another strong character that won't be expecting to play every week 

He ain't getting into the Spurs team ahead of Höjbjerg, Bentancur, Son or Kulusevski.

If Spurs want squad options I doubt he'd be someone they'd look at, especially for the price we'd be asking.

• Like 1

According to the twitter rubbish floating around yesterday,  we could combine this news with that, and do near enough a straight swap with spurs, offering McGinn for Son.

That's how far off the mark both these stories are.

32 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Will be sad to see McGinn go if he does. He represents the club getting its act together again. 

He does, last permanent player from promotion team? On the other hand it shows how far we have come in the last few years. 

42 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Always ignore these media articles when a players agent is negotiating a new contract with the club. Cash's agend leaked the Atletico interest and he signed a new deal. I'm sure there was some Emi Martinez articles out there too before he signed. We've Watkins and McGinn in negotiation for new deals now so obviously we see transfer news about them. It's how it works

I thought he signed a new one recently? I suppose its usually wait 2 years and either move or get a pay increase for doing exactly the same job.

If only that actually happened in the real world.

Highest share of pass value: No player was more important to his team’s ball progression than Aston Villa’s right central midfielder, John McGinn. His hyper-direct distribution accounted for 21.1 per cent of the team’s positive pass value as he repeatedly pushed the ball into areas where Villa were more likely to score. McGinn’s 74.0 per cent pass completion rate, near the bottom of Premier League central midfielders, was a trade-off Villa were happy to accept.

How each Premier League team pass - The Athletic

• Like 2

he is not a spurs type player, the fans will want someone more technical and hojberg is doing a brilliant job there. we should keep him around for a couple more seasons at least imo, he dosen't always have to be a starter, sometimes he definitely would benefit from being rested. There are some we need to get out of the door before Mcginn imo

5 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

he is not a spurs type player, the fans will want someone more technical and hojberg is doing a brilliant job there. we should keep him around for a couple more seasons at least imo, he dosen't always have to be a starter, sometimes he definitely would benefit from being rested. There are some we need to get out of the door before Mcginn imo

Don't Spurs fans hate Hojbjerg? 

I suppose they would hate McGinn too after 10 minutes. Sensitive bunch.

4 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Don't Spurs fans hate Hojbjerg? 

I suppose they would hate McGinn too after 10 minutes. Sensitive bunch.

no idea but i would have him in our midfield in a heartbeat, very good player whenever i've seen him, decent at reading the game which i think is something we have sturggled with in midfield.

i don't see them taking to Mcginn personally, all action midfielder dosen't seem to be there style atm. but yes they seem a very sensitive bunch haha

Needs to be rested occasionally, which may be all he needs to mean he doesn't fade after 60 minutes every match. 

Needs a more reliable number 6 (or double pivot) behind him. 

Doesn't need to be sold.  Won't be sold ahead of Luiz, unless we get an insane offer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He's crucial to how we play - it still amazes me how many people just want rid of him.  "His short pass % isn't good enough"; who cares?  He's the player who tries to unlock defences the most.  Allow the risks.

Agreed, he's clearly one of those players coaches love but fans don't. I think he's highly rated by non Villa fans. I think even to the extent he's a littler overrated by others. 

The reality is he's clearly a key player for us and will love having a dedicated CDM beside him in Kamara

Â