John McGinn

PompeyVillan

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

You'd have to agree that statistical analysis sites are equivalent to FIFA cards? :D

Who even looks at these fifa cards?, he’s our weakest link in midfield, is rather base my opinion on watching him all last season than some bloody cards and some rating that is a load of nonsense 

Edited by rbcuk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, messi11 said:

Yup lets believe whoscored ratings 🤣
What next you gonna metioned his Fifa cards? 

Yet in the transfer thread you use FBref, a (shock) statistical analysis site to base your argument and opinion of a player on. 

Get your FIFA cards out fella. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steero113 said:

This is hilarious. 

“whilst I dont think whoscored ratings are entirely useless, they are when they don’t support my opinion of a player”…

😉

I was fully aware of how it sounded 😂

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Yet in the transfer thread you use FBref, a (shock) statistical analysis site to base your argument and opinion of a player on. 

Get your FIFA cards out fella. 

Get your cards out

Get your cards out

Get your cards out for the lads

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Haha 2

Thing is we've had an average season and he's been one of our more consistent players according to whoscored.com.

However we know statistics don't always tell the truth, there are some things he does well and others he doesn't.

If Gerrard rates him then fine, perhaps with the security of Kamara he will be better.

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

If Gerrard rates him then fine, perhaps with the security of Kamara he will be better.

If we sign another high quality CM I fear for his starting place. 

Ramsey, for me, is the first name on the team sheet along with Martinez for Villa. 

Happy for him to stick around and hopefully improve but I just don’t think he’s essential or even required moving forwards. Ramsey is the future.

We’d benefit greatly from selling him for a good fee, no idea of his worth but £40m+ would be amazing and a vast profit on the bargain fee we paid for him initially.

We could bring in some genuine star quality with the funds generated from such a sale.

But…

he’s going nowhere 😆

Loved by SG and CP.

Hope he can surprise us all and have an amazing season but, he can’t play ahead of Ramsey now. JJ has been great and has huge potential.

Although, I do appreciate that he contributes a lot in terms of the “ugly side” of the game and gets stuck in etc. and shows aggression. I suppose that’s easy to overlook but he’s so frustrating, sloppy and inconsistent on the ball. Can look slow and clumsy at times.

But on top form (rare) he can be a major asset. But again, we have JJ.

My concern is that McGinn may assist Kamara as he did Luiz… but he needs to be playing further forward and maybe we should bring in a better option and solidify midfield so that the attackers can thrive.

If we can relegate John to the bench and/or he becomes a rotation option then we may finally have kicked on.

• Like 1

Admire his grit and I'm sure he is great in the locker room, but just dont see him fitting in with the possession style football SG claims he wants to play.  He still provides good squad depth, so don't see him leaving unless we bring in 2 more midfielders.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Admire his grit and I'm sure he is great in the locker room, but just dont see him fitting in with the possession style football SG claims he wants to play.  He still provides good squad depth, so don't see him leaving unless we bring in 2 more midfielders.

In any case, he simply cannot continue be an automatic starter for us regardless of form… he’s way too favoured and should only play when he can show somewhere near his best. Should really have to fight for his spot, for once.

Was hoping Sanson could have pushed and rotated with him but a combination of injuries/knocks and SG’s love for John didn’t really allow it… suspect he will be moved on unless he can rekindle his partnership with Kamara from their Marseille days… that looks very unlikely.

I’m hoping it will be JJ OR McGinn next season, rather than both. We need that base in midfield to be rock solid, someone to give Kamara a hand defensively. We’ve looked far too lightweight for far too long, I hope we can address that this time.

• Like 2

Interesting trip to Armenia for him, scored and got a headbutt

I havent seen the headbutt but he is getting slaughtered on Twatter for going down too easily

Edited by Zatman

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I havent seen the headbutt but he is getting slaughtered on Twatter for going down too easily

Do you think he should’ve given him one back then? 

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I love SJM but any player going down like that, in my eyes, is embarrassing. Slight movement towards him, minimal contact and down he went like he was hit by a rampaging wildebeest. 

1 hour ago, Stoobs said:

I love SJM but any player going down like that, in my eyes, is embarrassing. Slight movement towards him, minimal contact and down he went like he was hit by a rampaging wildebeest. 

That's foreplay in Glasgow.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

Rumours Spurs are going in for him - strange move, that. 

Doubt they will be now unfortunately after them signing bissouma, but fingers crossed someone pays silly money for him before the start of the season, as if gerrard want to play possession based football McGinn ain’t for that 

Â