John McGinn

PompeyVillan

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

He's crucial to how we play - it still amazes me how many people just want rid of him.  "His short pass % isn't good enough"; who cares?  He's the player who tries to unlock defences the most.  Allow the risks.

To me that's far more reflective of him and ramsey not coming short to help receive the ball from CBs and Luiz.

We should pass differently we should keep the ball, we shouldn't rush. We have Buendia, Coutinho, Digne, Cash who can all put in a fantastic ball or create an opportunity. Work the opposing team until we have the option to create that opportunity with a high percentage pass. 

4 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Needs to be rested occasionally, which may be all he needs to mean he doesn't fade after 60 minutes every match. 

Needs a more reliable number 6 (or double pivot) behind him. 

Doesn't need to be sold.  Won't be sold ahead of Luiz, unless we get an insane offer.

Should be sold. One we'd get mroe money and 2 he's worse. 

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

He's crucial to how we play - it still amazes me how many people just want rid of him.  "His short pass % isn't good enough"; who cares?  He's the player who tries to unlock defences the most.  Allow the risks.

I wouldn't say everyone wants rid but perhaps we don't all want him to start 36 games a season and play 90 minutes in all those games anymore?

It will be interesting one for Gerrard going forward as Ramsey when in top form offers more of a goal threat, can link up very well one touch with Coutinho coming in from the left and generally has higher potential than McGinn so if we add an 8 I'm not sure where McGinn actually starts anymore if everyone stays fit.

When Gerrard came in for the first 5 or so games he was so mucb better. Because he played within himself. McGinn at 90 percent is better than at 100 as he shows a semblance of control. After those first 5 games he went back to the old McGinn. Needs to reigh it in a little and he will be a massive threat again. I am hoping we will get the control of the midfield more often with Kamara. That will give him more time on the ball. I still believe in him and he offers even more as the glue of the squad  but he needs to show that control a little more. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

I don’t think anyone wants rid. Just think the club can’t keep spending so much without recouping some money.  Overall I’d rather he stayed but if a massive bid came in I could see why the club would accept. 

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

You'd rather see Luiz go for nothing next season?

I'd rather re-sign him. If we can't then we should move him on. But we should be moving on McGinn first whilst we can still get like 30-40 mil for him. 

On 03/06/2022 at 11:53, newhavenhibby said:

Some were  saying it for the game against Ukraine...........he'll forever be a legend at Easter Road and adored by 99% of Hibs fans.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear , however he was poor the other night !  .............as were several others☹️

Apologies. I agree with that. Thought he was very poor against Ukraine. Did not turn up. More like himself tonight. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

We should pass differently we should keep the ball, we shouldn't rush. We have Buendia, Coutinho, Digne, Cash who can all put in a fantastic ball or create an opportunity. Work the opposing team until we have the option to create that opportunity with a high percentage pass. 

This was easier when there wasn’t a Villa Park crowd booing because we have had five passes without putting it in the mixer…

On 07/06/2022 at 17:40, bobzy said:

He doesn't unlock defences as often as he should given how often he tries the Hollywood, often waiting a good situation because of it.

Just now, stegzy said:

Great to see him back on it tonight with a MOTM performance. He had 105 touches and 5 key passes tonight with 1 assist.

Oh come on it’s against Armenia

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stegzy said:

Great to see him back on it tonight with a MOTM performance. He had 105 touches and 5 key passes tonight with 1 assist.

Had his one good game in every 25 games. so 24 games of him giving the ball away cheaply now

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Tom13 said:

He doesn't unlock defences as often as he should given how often he tries the Hollywood, often waiting a good situation because of it.

We get it - you don’t like him and will “like” every negative post about him, but he’s the only central midfielder who creates.

I don’t know where the hating came from. WhoScored (on whatever metric) have him as our best performing player this season. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, messi11 said:

Had his one good game in every 25 games. so 24 games of him giving the ball away cheaply now

Absolute dogs**t as usual. 

In his last 10 games played he's had a WhoScored rating of above 7 in 6 of them. 2 of those being MotM performances. 

And 3 of those were above 7.8 which is exceptional. 

Sit down. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Absolute dogs**t as usual. 

In his last 10 games played he's had a WhoScored rating of above 7 in 6 of them. 2 of those being MotM performances. 

And 3 of those were above 7.8 which is exceptional. 

Sit down. 

Yup lets believe whoscored ratings 🤣
What next you gonna metioned his Fifa cards? 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Haha would have to agree, if we are to progress we need to sell him In this window whilst we can demand a silly fee for him

28 minutes ago, messi11 said:

8 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Haha would have to agree, if we are to progress we need to sell him In this window whilst we can demand a silly fee for him

You'd have to agree that statistical analysis sites are equivalent to FIFA cards? :D

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

You'd have to agree that statistical analysis sites are equivalent to FIFA cards? :D

If who scored thinks John Mcginn was our best player last season then absolutely  yes!

I’d love to know how Whoscored works out his rating because my eyes don’t tell me Mcginn was our best player last season. However if you asked me who was I couldn’t tell you. Nobody was consistently good.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

Â