Going Under ?

hippo

3 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Anyone else finding they have an aversion to this picture? I’m developing a bit of a Pavlovian complex with it.

ABE61999-F67B-4E28-83A3-3F8C2F10B42C.jpeg

Every time I see it I think it’s a side view of a fat blokes beer belly......

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The parallels to Lerner are striking. Big talk at the start followed by a massive bet at the craps table only to lose big and set the club back even farther. We need an owner who doesn't make these big promises of European glory, we just need competence and steadiness.

• Like 4

Don't know if it's been pointed out yet, but the similarity to Leeds' history in this position is scary.

After they got relegated from the Premier League they took a season to stabilise in the Championship and ended up finishing 14th in their first season (we finished 13th in our first season)

In their second season they built on that and finished 5th (we were 4th in our second season). They got to the playoff final and ended up losing (as did we)

After that they had sever financial problems which they struggled with all year and ended up going into administration at the end of the season and being relegated to League 1.

Scary stuff.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Don't know if it's been pointed out yet, but the similarity to Leeds' history in this position is scary.

After they got relegated from the Premier League they took a season to stabilise in the Championship and ended up finishing 14th in their first season (we finished 13th in our first season)

In their second season they built on that and finished 5th (we were 4th in our second season). They got to the playoff final and ended up losing (as did we)

After that they had sever financial problems which they struggled with all year and ended up going into administration at the end of the season and being relegated to League 1.

Scary stuff.

Southampton went on a similar journey to league 1 and administration and rebuilt the club.  They were lucky that Liebherr picked them up from administration rather than some of the crooks Leeds had.

55 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Southampton went on a similar journey to league 1 and administration and rebuilt the club.  They were lucky that Liebherr picked them up from administration rather than some of the crooks Leeds had.

Not that long ago leicester went down to league one too and look at them now - we will come back from this although it will be tough .

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Not that long ago leicester went down to league one too and look at them now - we will come back from this although it will be tough .

Wasn't long ago Wolves were in League one too.  It will take several years but we will be back in the top flight one day. I'm sure of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

?

I like Bruce but if we are to go down this route of complete change I'm coming round to the idea of picking up a more attacking manager like Dean Smith.

Surely some good has to come from this!

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

It could be argued that Sunderland are in a better position than us now. Sometimes the sooner rock bottom can be hit the better.

That money we had off Burnley was to help pay last months wages so I've just read. An unarmed player, says there is fear among the players they won't get paid at the end of this month. We just seem to be leaking huge amounts of money everywhere. Not sure how quickly we are going to be able to tie a knot in it. We owe absolutely millions, and our general outgoings are millions per month. 

15 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

That money we had off Burnley was to help pay last months wages so I've just read. An unarmed player, says there is fear among the players they won't get paid at the end of this month. We just seem to be leaking huge amounts of money everywhere. Not sure how quickly we are going to be able to tie a knot in it. We owe absolutely millions, and our general outgoings are millions per month. 

Doesn't seem like he would be much use anyway.

Do his legs work?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I like Bruce but if we are to go down this route of complete change I'm coming round to the idea of picking up a more attacking manager like Dean Smith.

You must be joking- how are we to afford to buy a manager from a club? If Bruce goes/walks then any replacement will be an out of work manager. Ian Holloway, Mick Mcarthy, Paul Lambert. Take your pick.

Edited by The Fun Factory

15 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The thing about loss making football businesses is that some of the black holes go on for miles.  Start checking for “interesting” companies emerging with familiar names as directors as some of those with an interest in such things try to shuttle money out of the club to themselves before the music stops.  At one point LUFC cancelled Radio Leeds’ commentary rights and was paying another part of the web of companies associated with our then owner to broadcast our games.   Actually foregoing real cash in for broadcasting rights in order to create a conduit for yet more funds to be funnelled out of the club.  Some of the pricing on building projects was “interesting” as well... the stories that could be told...  of course at the time our CEO was the bloke who now runs the EFL, Shaun Harvey....FFS

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Nigel said:

You do know Dean Smith literally takes the training sessions and that's about it? 

Pretty much everything else is done through other people, pretty sure someone mentions a few pages back some of the substitions wasn't even down to him. 

6 minutes ago, WaccoeOnline said:

And then there is the stuff you’ve already clocked like selling the rights to future transfer instalments at a discount to buy immediate cash.  

Next will be mortgaging the next three seasons season ticket income which might get you through your current hiccup (a good way to realise quick cash but you pay the price for seasons afterwards).

Then there will be the running short on pies at half time as there isn’t the cash to get stock in for matchdays.  Has that happened yet? What happens next as your catering isn’t making any money as you’ve not got enough to sell is you sell the catering rights to the likes of  Compass for 3-4 years.  A great way to find quick cash to pay one months wage bill or a pesky tax demand.  But then you’ve got no matchday income at all.  So when the next cash pinch comes your ****.

So then you sell the training ground and lease it back.  Seems sensible.  Big up front payment, an opportunity to restructure, afford those pay-offs etc. A few loan fees.  A fresh start.  But then the nice bloke who bought it (sometimes a mate of the owner, sometimes someone hidden behind a BVI Trust) exercises the right to jack up the rent year on year until it’s bleeding you dry.  And then the same happens to the ground.

Then some business restructuring experts or maybe a minor middle eastern bank buy you with a “rescue plan”.  Probably with a nice guy front man.  But it turns out they are charging millions in “management fees” which they make you take out a loan from another company they own to pay them out of.  Doubling your debt in record time (of course when they bought you they flipped the debt back into the club).

And that’s before the dwarves, David Hockaday, Sardinian criminals and Big Fat Steve Evans arrive....

Can we fast forward to the bit where you come out the other end and are on the verge of appointing Biesla please?

• Like 2

Â