Going Under ?

hippo

After the week from hell , this is my thoughts as to where we are:-

• Dr Tony warns the financial situations isn't great
  •  
  • Aston Villa are warned ny HMRC to pay a tax bill or face a winding up order - Wyness suspened
  •  
  • A few days of insider leaks and press speculation that Aston Villa are one the edge
  •  
  • Some number crunching by VTers on here - suggests while the situation isn't great - the splurge on loans\ wages shouldn't leave us on the brink of administration as it was funded by player sales

So a few theories

-The press got a whiff of a story and bigged it out all proportion - and whilst the siuation isn't great - it isn't bankruptcy bad

-Or Maybe there are some unknowns in accounts yet to be published  (maybe Xia is funding us via high % loans) which make our situation as bad as reported.

• Like 2

Another one

Aston Villa Issue Statement on Tax Issues & Basically Admit to Lack of Existing Plan

HRMC

Aston Villa today put out a short statement today (below) to say that it has at least come to an ‘agreement’ with HRMC to ease the growing concerns of the potential penalties of the club not meeting its tax requirements.

The statement below concludes with the chairman Tony Xia wanting to reassure supporters that ‘plans are now being put in place to move the club forward’.

Aston Villa Tax Statement

Aston Villa Football Club can confirm that an agreement has been reached with HMRC and the club will continue to fulfil its obligations. 

The club can also announce that there are no insolvency practitioners or administration advisors working with the club. 

Owner and Chairman Dr Tony Xia would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank supporters during this difficult and unsettling time and reassure them plans are now being put in place to move the club forward.

No Plan B Reality

Lets repeat that again, ‘plans are now being put in place’.

Only now?

Didn’t they have any plans after two seasons, if they didn’t get promoted?

The League – as part of the ‘fit and proper persons test’ – requires proof from the buying body that funds are in place to sustain a club for a minimum of two years. It would seem that Xia and his team, presented the English footballing bodies with the bare minimum period of projected funds/accounts.

Considering this is a two-year period that a club freshly relegated to the Championship receives substantial parachute payments, it allows for opportunist buying (which MOMS suggested the Villa purchase was, over two years ago) – essentially a gamble to get the club back into the Premier League in those two years by using (or at least being aided by) the parachute money.  This of course very much spells danger in the long-run for any club overloaded with a high wage bill, if it fail to win promotion. Certainly the period over which funds need to be proven to cover, should be extended by the PL & EFL in such cases.

When MOMS and the Fan Consultation Group first met Tony Xia and then the Villa CEO Keith Wyness, back in 2016, this is how Wyness answered the following question on the kind of funding they were offering the club:

1. With conflicting reports during the takeover, and without in any way expecting to breach any individual’s privacy, what sort of funding is there now for Aston Villa?

It was confirmed by Keith Wyness that adequate funding is in place and there are several different plans depending on where the club finds itself over the coming season/s.

It was a requirement by the League that funds are available to sustain the club for a minimum of two years. Meeting this requirement was achieved with ease. Any suggestions to the contrary or regarding lack of funds during the takeover were simply rumours created by a rival bidder for the club.

It was also confirmed that we are working within the Financial Fair Play stipulations and expanding the club’s interests internationally will help this.

‘Several different plans’, that don’t seem to have covered the present situation, and when you consider some of the wage spend and contracts, it’s hard to believe such plans existed at all.

https://www.myoldmansaid.com/aston-villa-issue-statement-on-tax-issues-basically-admit-to-lack-of-existing-plan/

6 minutes ago, sne said:

A bunch of interesting articles on MOMS.

This one mirrors pretty much exactly what I've felt from the beginning under Xia, Wyness and Round.

https://www.myoldmansaid.com/aston-villas-flawed-and-wasteful-championship-strategy-analysed/

Excellent article. 

With wyness gone we should also be looking to move on from bruce. 

• Like 2

On 09/06/2018 at 22:01, hippo said:

The club statement denied Trevor Birch was involved.

Neither has been good guys for us. Xia told us he had millions set aside to finance villa - Wyness believed him and went full pelt for promotion at any cost. Too many wrongs with that approach. A bit of research has led me to wonder whether recon are just a glorified holding company - the people who really own us are chinese banks. I think Xias damage done to Aston Villa hasn't reached bottom yet - and with between £70-100m debt   the people who take on are likley to be more of Xias kind. 

It's not even Recon that own us, technically it's Teamax or rather Tian Xia Tech info ltd (info from @Deisler123) and we know none of the people behind Teamax and who is funding the businesses above these in the conglomerate. It's all super confusing, but then again, that isn't totally unique to Xia, it would appear this is how many Chinese companies operate 

A lot of people on here stated the same as those articles 18 months ago.  Just poor judgement and planning by the club and as stated previously Round and the other dinosaurs should be out the door if we can afford it.

Build properly and for the long term, no more short sighted opportunist ctrap.

• Like 1

My wife said to me last night, 'let's pick a new Netflix show to watch....... something dramatic but with some comedy, but something unpredictable that you never know what's going to happen next'

She is now a AV supporter!

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Villa feel like one of those historic grand country houses. They look great from the outside but there is no furniture or fitting inside, as some reckless predecessor had gambled the family fortune away. 

It's a gold medal to you for a first time ever National Trust analogy.

Remember that Live aid concert years ago ? - it raised millions ......couldn't we do  'Villa Aid'  - we have the stadium, we could bung , the who  , robbie williams, and Beyonce a couple of quid and free pie - selling the tickets @ £250 - plus tv rights - we would be sorted......

I think I am wasted on here ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Remember that Live aid concert years ago ? - it raised millions ......couldn't we do  'Villa Aid'  - we have the stadium, we could bung , the who  , robbie williams, and Beyonce a couple of quid and free pie - selling the tickets @ £250 - plus tv rights - we would be sorted......

I can see it now, Ozzy Osborne shouting into the Camera.  "Just give us your F*****g Money"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, hippo said:

Going by your first line, I think you must be wasted - full stop. ;)

Edited by snowychap

On 11/06/2018 at 12:44, sne said:

A bunch of interesting articles on MOMS.

This one mirrors pretty much exactly what I've felt from the beginning under Xia, Wyness and Round.

https://www.myoldmansaid.com/aston-villas-flawed-and-wasteful-championship-strategy-analysed/

A good read. We messed up from Xia, Wyness, RDM to Bruce. All of them were responsible for the mess we are in. 

• Like 2

I draw parallel's between being an Aston Villa fan and Inferno Dante Alighieri's 14th-century epic poem Divine Comedy.

Were currently all on a journey together navigating the 9 circles of hell.

We have already passed Limbo, Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Wrath, Heresy and violence.

Fraud was next followed by Treachery we all know how Dr Tony has turned out along with Wyness.

Next up is the centre of hell where were completely flat broke and doug repurchases us for a pound.

He was playing the long game all along. 

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I wonder if for the long term the best thing that could happen is we go in to Adminstation and then get taken over. Start a fresh from League one like Palace and Southampton did. 

Yes, just like getting relegated to The Championship would be a great idea so we could regroup and rebuild and win lots of matches for a change. 

• Like 2

Think this is very necessary, one way or another it needs to be cleared up pronto:

Aston Villa are set for talks with the Football League next week as fears grow over the Championship club's finances.

Shaun Harvey, the EFL’s chief executive, is scheduled to meet with Villa officials in a bid to discover the club’s future plans following failure to win promotion to the Premier League.

It is understood Harvey will request a broad business plan for next season and proof the club can fulfil its financial obligations.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/06/12/aston-villa-meet-football-league-fears-grow-clubs-finances/

Â