18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

The sad thing is about all this is we will have to rebuild AGAIN. As Tammy bolaise el ghazi tuanzebe are all loans.

The one bloody player I would ahve preferred being a loan is nyland but that Muppet bruce went and signed tgis did permanently 

If we fail this season, which there is a great chance of that happening, I can see us down here for another two seasons at least. The loans will go back to their clubs, or maybe another team, and it will be a bit of a rebuild again. Rebuilds on and off the pitch take time, so this season is our last great chance imo. Even then we have a few things to sort out this season if we are to be serious contenders. If we don’t get our act together soon, we will be relying on too many teams to mess up in order for us to get ourselves up there. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Which is a big reason alot of us have been against the expensive, experienced "loans" with no building towards a system or style of play.

If he had been focusing on acquiring younger, top talent with coachability a couple of years ago, we would potentially be flying.

We have wasted 2 years in true Villa fashion.

I just hope we haven't left ourselves too far back.

Yeah I agree with this.

Tony completely gambled on promotion and it's put us back even further. It seems the new owners are gambling on promotion this season too tbh.

If we don't go up this year we need to have a complete re-think and be a bit smarter. The appointment of Smith leads me to believe the board will go that way. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The sad thing is about all this is we will have to rebuild AGAIN. As Tammy bolaise el ghazi tuanzebe are all loans.

The one bloody player I would ahve preferred being a loan is nyland but that Muppet bruce went and signed tgis did permanently 

We’ll probably be able to loan Tammy and Axel again if we choose too. Neither of them look Premier League material. Losing Bolasie and El Ghazi is no big loss. 

I'm not sure loans are as much of a hindrance as people are making out. If they come in and are successful, with the team achieving their targets, there is much to be gained.

Loans may be inferior to having a player who will develop within a team and produce for years to come, as loans are often only for a single season. No arguments from me on that point.

I just think it worth considering that a player on a permanent move also has potential pitfalls. No need to give example, being a Villa supporter you've seen dozens in recent years. On the books for what seems like eternity, taking up valuable resources and space in the squad.

So my point is that while they are short term and difficult to replace, it's not the loan itself that is undesirable but the management that creates the circumstances under which it takes place. Obtaining quality above that of your opponent is the essence of assembling a squad, whether you go about it through this way or that.

We have acquired some very decent talent via loan moves, players that would not have signed here under different terms. It was only a failure in that management didn't have a plan for continuity and succession at the club.

Automatic promotion has not gone yet. We are only 8 points behind the leaders with 32 games to play. We are also only 3 points off the play off places. We do need to put a decent run together though sooner rather than later as each defeat makes promotion look increasingly less likely.  

• Like 3

Mantra for Smiths reign.... 2 Wins and a Draw out of every 4 games = Play Offs = decent effort. Personally I think we will definite achieve that.

Im sticking with that. I’d also agree if we click Automatic isn’t out the question due to the inconsistencies of all sides this season. However, that logic applies to all our rivals as well.

• Like 1

I know its easy to say but patience is needed at present. Unfortunately Villa fans have been put through the mangle in the last few years and the said patience has virtually gone..........understandably.  They will have wanted Bruce out and then all of the sudden the team to be instantly playing better. Last night was always going to be a tough game with Norwich currently going well.

Smith and Terry have come in with plenty of time this season to get to the play offs at least and they have to be given time to stamp their way onto the team and possibly freshen things up in the transfer window. What the fans need to see are small signs that the management team are changing things match by match and at least showing that they have an understanding of what is and has been going wrong........something from reading the thoughts on here, that Bruce did not have.

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, newhavenhibby said:

I know its easy to say but patience is needed at present. Unfortunately Villa fans have been put through the mangle in the last few years and the said patience has virtually gone. They will have wanted Bruce out and then all of the sudden the team to be instantly playing better. Last night was always going to be a tough game with Norwich currently going well.

Smith and Terry have come in with plenty of time this season to get to the play offs at least and they have to be given time to stamp their way onto the team and possibly freshen things up in the transfer window. What the fans need to see are small signs that the management team are changing things match by match and at least showing that they have an understanding of what is and has been going wrong........something from reading the thoughts on here, that Bruce did not have.

Bruce could identify what was going wrong, even if he couldn't understand it, in his own terms anyway.

He was always referring to circumstances and efforts outside of his control to explain why the club was not performing as it should be, usually spouted at a time where it was he who was under some form of scrutiny. Which basically was just a method of deflecting a line of inquiry. As if he was serious about his position he might think to address what his responsibility was and his requirements for turning it all around A telltale sign of his reluctance to look at himself and his methods. The football lacked preparation, ingenuity and ambition for me. The less said the sooner mended in my book but I will finish on Bruce by saying I felt like he thought that results alone were what the club needed, even then he couldn't deliver.

Agree with the rest of your post wholeheartedly. Every game will be tough on some level. Hopefully due to the demands we place on ourselves as well as the inevitable challenge provided by our opposition. I'd like to see incremental changes in our play style from one fixture to the next as well as having solid foundations for what our strengths are going to be. Patience and vigilance are a must here, the former so that adequate opportunity is allowed for the development of a culture that can thrive, the latter so that we don't waste a minute more than we have to once something has become redundant and no longer serves our purpose or in the event an attempted methodology falls short of the mark.

Have high hopes for Smith but at the same time don't want to underestimate the difficulty of his position or the ability of our rivals.

@terrytini made a good post about what's required from Smith from here on each game to amass the kind of tally we need to claim automatic or playoff promotion.

It's doable. I would be pretty gobsmacked if we claim automatic, especially given that I anticipate a stark contrast in approach from what we saw under Bruce and that might mean that we have a few blips and bloopers adjusting to new methods of movement, positioning, timing etc.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Know what you mean but we need to be aware of how the market for young players is changing. Chelsea have something like 40 players out on loan and other big clubs are going in that direction. Loans are increasingly an important source of young talented players.

6 hours ago, John said:

Automatic promotion has not gone yet. We are only 8 points behind the leaders with 32 games to play. We are also only 3 points off the play off places. We do need to put a decent run together though sooner rather than later as each defeat makes promotion look increasingly less likely.  

You can't be serious mate. Have you seen our defense and keeper play????

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Derby looking brilliant tonight. Why can’t we perform like this ffs. We have the players it’s so frustrating 

I'm sure we will once Smith gets time with the players 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Derby looking brilliant tonight. Why can’t we perform like this ffs. We have the players it’s so frustrating 

If you watched the Norwich game (and others prob), you will see we DONT have the players to play a skillful passing game :P

(a few players aside - but prob 50% of the team isnt capable of playing a passing style)

If we don't do it this we will have to make cuts no matter what Purslow says. I am fine with that and Smith is a good appointment for that situation.

However promotion will then be determined in Villa being a  well run club who will be able to over- achieve financially compared to the next 3 relegated prem clubs.

Personally I would say the last time Villa had a season in which they over achieved, in the sense of the playing budget in comparison to the rest of the league,  rather than meeting or failing expectation was 03-04 when we came 6th under DOL. 

15 years. Its been a while.

This season everybody is beating everybody. The likely going to go down, SHA and QPR are all now only 6 points to the league leaders.

Three wins would change a lot.

It seeming more of a relegation battle than its a promotion one.

I mean in terms of the amount of points needed changing.

I think its been 4-5 rounds while the league leader are around the 23 points.

A win this Friday will give us a huge boost.