18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

56 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We haven't got the ability to go away and grind out 1-0s like we did last season, think of a game like Forest away in January when we scored early and soaked up the pressure comfortably. Sheffield United another, were battered for most of the game and nicked the winner in the last minute. This season we lose there 4-1.

Unless we suddenly rediscover that we aren't finishing in the top 6 and it's very unlikely to start until January as we will have someone dodgy in goal and a mediocre back 4.

Absolutely. 

Last season we had 2 wily old campaigners in Snodgrass & Terry. They knew how to manage games and see them out. Who in our squad would you look to now to do that? There's no-one.

• Like 1

Sliding Doors time...

Suppose Fredericks had been sent off, we had clawed back 2 goals and won the playoff final...

Didn't happen of course, the tube doors shut just before we could get on the train and Fulham went to the premier league instead.

Here are their results so far:

Palace H 0-2

Spurs A 1-3

Burnley H 4-2

Brighton A 2-2

Man C A 0-3

Watford H 1-1

Everton A 0-3

Arsenal H 1-5

Cardiff A 2-4

5 points from 27, 25 goals conceded.

Question is, how do we think Villa would have done with that fixture list? Presumably if we got promoted, Dr Charlatan would still be sole owner and maybe Stevie would still be manager. How much we could have spent on players is anyone's guess.

I look at those results and almost feel a bit glad we didn't go up.

6 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Sliding Doors time...

Suppose Fredericks had been sent off, we had clawed back 2 goals and won the playoff final...

Didn't happen of course, the tube doors shut just before we could get on the train and Fulham went to the premier league instead.

Palace H 0-2

Spurs A 1-3

Burnley H 4-2

Brighton A 2-2

Man C A 0-3

Watford H 1-1

Everton A 0-3

Arsenal H 1-5

Cardiff A 2-4

Question is, how do we think Villa would have done with that fixture list? Presumably if we got promoted, Dr Charlatan would still be sole owner and maybe Stevie would still be manager. How much we could have spent on players is anyone's guess.

I have no doubt Bruce and xia would have caused more long term damage if they had more time. 

• Like 2

Too many people writing us off too quickly, yes its a period of transition but, as we are seeing every week, anyone can beat anyone this season.

As long as we pick up a wins here and there and stay within touching distance its possible with January transfer window around the corner. I certainly have far more confidence this time than the same time 2 years ago when Bruce arrived.

I firmly believe this time next month the players would have adapted to Dean Smiths style of play and know their roles, once that settles then the skys the limit!

I honstly feel the squad we have is far superior to what DS had at Brentford, and despite continuously losing his best players they remained competitive and were in the play off places when he left. So I know even our so called "shit" players will be able to lift their performances and play in this new way - just need to give them time to get used to this new way that demands more from them.

Have some faith please.

• Like 1

I feel utterly deflated, Bruce is gone we have a proper manager and coaching/club structure yet we are stuck with a group of players that seem utterly incapable.

Every game I know we will concede an utterly ridiculous goal due to the back line being one of the worst defences we've cobbled together in decades, even Chester now resembles a shadow of what we saw last year.

The rest of the team is littered with 'possibility and what ifs' yet rarely does that deliver anything on that promise even if Smith has us at least trying to play good football.

Elmo, Hutton, Taylor, Nyland, Whelan - I fear that whilst these names are on the team sheet we are always likely to concede.

We've gone all in on Abraham a talented but woefully inexperienced player to score all our goals as a lone striker in a formation that i just don't think we can pull off.  

Sure we can sign some new players in Jan, but then there will be the 'obligatory bedding in period'.

I think Smith needs to start building almost from fresh as the more he relies on the same donkeys Bruce did the more we will go nowhere.

Edited by VillanousOne

5 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Sliding Doors time...

Palace H 0-2

Spurs A 1-3

Burnley H 4-2

Brighton A 2-2

Man C A 0-3

Watford H 1-1

Everton A 0-3

Arsenal H 1-5

Cardiff A 2-4

With a better manager than Bruce at the helm - I think we could have gotten something at palace, Burnley, Brighton, Cardiff.

with Bruce - your guess is most certainly as good as mine ??

On 27/10/2018 at 15:35, briny_ear said:

Sliding Doors time...

Palace H 0-2

Spurs A 1-3

Burnley H 4-2

Brighton A 2-2

Man C A 0-3

Watford H 1-1

Everton A 0-3

Arsenal H 1-5

Cardiff A 2-4

We would have had 12 points and would still need another 26 for safety ;). We would have had the players we were forced to let go and would have added to them with our SKY money. Having said that I still think that we have a better long term future now. I'd really love it if we somehow managed to change places with Fulham at the end of the season though. :D

On 29/10/2018 at 07:00, John said:

We would have had 12 points and would still need another 26 for safety ;). We would have had the players we were forced to let go and would have added to them with our SKY money. Having said that I still think that we have a better long term future now. I'd really love it if we somehow managed to change places with Fulham at the end of the season though. :D

I disagree

We would have received the Sky money and possibly kept hold of Terry, Grabban, Snodgrass however... the sky money would have papered over all of the Tony Xia cracks and we would still be in the dark over the financial difficulties he was having running the club. The major investment we would have needed to stay in the Premier League wouldn't have been possible due to having to retain most of the money in order to pay the bills.

The best outcome possible for Aston Villa last season was losing that playoff final so that the club could be fixed from the ground up, a process that will probably take 2-3 years to implement.

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

I disagree

We would have received the Sky money and possibly kept hold of Terry, Grabban, Snodgrass however... the sky money would have papered over all of the Tony Xia cracks and we would still be in the dark over the financial difficulties he was having running the club. The major investment we would have needed to stay in the Premier League wouldn't have been possible due to having to retain most of the money in order to pay the bills.

The best outcome possible for Aston Villa last season was losing that playoff final so that the club could be fixed from the ground up, a process that will probably take 2-3 years to implement.

I agree that our current situation is the better long term one. I do think that we would have used some of the SKY money to add to the squad but most likely not enough. I myself, would have kept Johnstone rather than Grabban but at best we would have faced a relegation battle rather than the late potential promotion run we now hope for. 

• Like 1