18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

We are now officially in a relegation battle in my opinion. Our fixtures are about to get a whole lot tougher and I can't see how our defence will cope. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, John said:

We will need a new manager bounce that a kangaroo would be impressed by to get into the promotion race with this under performing squad.:(

We're three points off the playoffs with a squad full of excellent players for this level. Our defence is thin but still pretty good by the standards of the league. A good manager and coaches and we're back in it. Chin up J man. 

• Like 1

I think with the right appointment, playoffs is achievable. There's a lot of talent in the squad, they just need to have the will to learn from a tactically astute manager. My worry is their brains have become lazy and are set on default pilot mode of "boots on, sleeves rolled". For our bunch it might take longer than the average player to process actual tactical awareness drills.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

We can go up. This league is garbage.

Agreed. We have been an absolute car crash this season and still sit only 3 points from payoffs.

This league is absolutely shit. 

26 minutes ago, av1 said:

Agreed. We have been an absolute car crash this season and still sit only 3 points from payoffs.

This league is absolutely shit. 

Apart from West Brom. No team seem to have the consistency that Wolves and Newcastle had.

Will Sheffield, Boro or Leeds be another Cardiff or Brighton? Thats a huge question.

The only team I imagine would be out of sight is our neighbors.

With the right appointment, and finding a way to play El Ghazi and Bolasie. We will have a huge chance to be with the mix.

We could definitely be the new Fulham.

If the new guy hits the ground sprinting, then surely the play offs are very much achievable ? Yes we face a difficult schedule - but hopefully the hand brake will well and truly be off - and a new man who knows what he's doing at the helm - I'm still struggling to fathom how D Johnson had the entire pitch to himself on Tuesday - I just can't consider that another coach would not have nullified this threat ?

• Like 1

We have next to no central defenders and inconsistent keepers, we will be miles behind by the time we can bring players in to bolster the stark inadequacies in the squad. It was obvious from the moment the transfer window closed. We have to hold for next season and stay out of a relegation battle . Bolster the midfield and stop losing games.

• Like 2

Can anyone tell me how this season will differ from 16/17?

Back then we sacked our manager on the 3rd October, had an amazing attack for this level on paper but they underwhelmed most weeks and we had a lack of quality in midfield and at the back.

We were still in touch for the play offs for a bit but no one was convinced and think we ended up 15 or so points off 6th in the end.

Unless the new manager hits the ground running I think this season will repeat that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Back then we sacked our manager on the 3rd October, had an amazing attack for this level on paper but they underwhelmed most weeks and we had a lack of quality in midfield and at the back.

We were still in touch for the play offs for a bit but no one was convinced and think we ended up 15 or so points off 6th in the end.

Unless the new manager hits the ground running I think this season will repeat that.

Me too unfortunately.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

The manager did hit the ground running and by the new year, we were 6 points behind playoffs. Bruce then bought a good number of players and try to force them into a system they weren't ready for and we went on a really bad run in January and February. Hopefully, this manager will be a bit smarter and gels the team that we have that is more than capable than going up.