18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Derby looking brilliant tonight. Why can’t we perform like this ffs. We have the players it’s so frustrating 

all well and good but they have lost the same amount of games as us and scored less goals

Also lost to 3 of the poorer teams in the league 

Edited by Zatman

10 hours ago, MaVilla said:

If you watched the Norwich game (and others prob), you will see we DONT have the players to play a skillful passing game :P

(a few players aside - but prob 50% of the team isnt capable of playing a passing style)

Passing sequences rely on opportunity, space, positioning and timing to be optimal. The likelihood of these facets coordinating themselves by chance is not great.

Familiarity and understanding between teammates enables playing rapport and this was the frustration under Bruce, it was seemingly not developed or neglected entirely.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AVTuco said:

You can't be serious mate. Have you seen our defense and keeper play????

I have and I am. Fulham came from behind last year and teams like Blackpool did it before them. Our defence is our weak link and can be worked upon prior to being strengthened in January. The same is the case between the sticks. We will hopefully look and play like a different and better team in the New Year. :flag:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Derby looking brilliant tonight. Why can’t we perform like this ffs. We have the players it’s so frustrating 

This is becoming a reoccurring theme and one of the main reasons fans are left so frustrated. 

To be a top team in any league you need players that a good enough in every position. That does not mean you have 5-6 very good players and the rest are just adequate. You need quality accords the 11 and any weakness will let you down.

so I wish fans would stop saying we have the players because we don’t. We have some of the players. We need more.

edit: great example is Villa v Wolves. Wolves regular centre half was injured and Bath came in. They matched us in the game but we scored 3 goals due to Bath’s defensive errors. Had he not been playing they would have got something out that game. 

Every individual counts.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

People keep saying we have the players. I seriously don't think we have. Abraham, Grealish, McGinn and Chester have sufficient quality. Our GK, fullbacks, wingers are piss poor. Our CB depth is non-existant. Our anchors are well passed it. 

If anything we don't have the players. 

I'd much prefer it if we kept signing hungry British players in the right age bracket, compared to signings like Nyland and El Ghazi or expensive mercs like Bolasie. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This is becoming a reoccurring theme and one of the main reasons fans are left so frustrated. 

To be a top team in any league you need players that a good enough in every position. That does not mean you have 5-6 very good players and the rest are just adequate. You need quality accords the 11 and any weakness will let you down.

so I wish fans would stop saying we have the players because we don’t. We have some of the players. We need more.

edit: great example is Villa v Wolves. Wolves regular centre half was injured and Bath came in. They matched us in the game but we scored 3 goals due to Bath’s defensive errors. Had he not been playing they would have got something out that game. 

Every individual counts.

We had the players last year you can't deny that. This year we are struggling defensively and with the keeper situation.

Wolves ate different example not even worth talking about them. But derby dont have 11 class players yet they blew the boggies apart.

We have not put in a performance like that this season. Smith will need time. If he can somehow sort the defence out until Jan we might be ok 

Alan Brazil said this morning on Talksport that he had backed us each way to win the league and added "I don't think Villa are going to be far away.. have a look at the points they're not far behind."  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, John said:

Alan Brazil said this morning on Talksport that he had backed us each way to win the league and added "I don't think Villa are going to be far away.. have a look at the points they're not far behind."  

He’s right. If we can start winning games back to back then we will soon shoot up the table. Hopefully starting Friday night. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

He’s right. If we can start winning games back to back then we will soon shoot up the table. Hopefully starting Friday night. 

Yes but it is our inability to win back to back games that put us 16th in the table. 

I can't really see any consistency coming whilst we have such a poor keeper - I think winning most of our home games is the best you can hope for. Unless Nylan suddenly finds his feet. 

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

We had the players last year you can't deny that. This year we are struggling defensively and with the keeper situation.

Wolves ate different example not even worth talking about them. But derby dont have 11 class players yet they blew the boggies apart.

We have not put in a performance like that this season. Smith will need time. If he can somehow sort the defence out until Jan we might be ok 

I didn’t watch the game but I bet Derby haven’t got any players that stand out because of how poor they are. 

We need 11 class players. We need 11 players that aren’t shit.

Also why can’t wolves be used as an example of how one poor player in a top team can cost them the game. Danny Bath cost them the game against us. He no longer plays for Wolves. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

all well and good but they have lost the same amount of games as us and scored less goals

Also lost to 3 of the poorer teams in the league 

Yeah Derby are so hit and miss. Even lost to Rotherham! I wouldn't worry to much about them, they'll do what they do every season and fallout the play offs last minute. 

They had a good game last night but they haven't played like that every game of the season.

This year the league is wide open with no single team running away with it.

We all know our strengths and weaknesses and Dean Smith and his team will get to know this fairly quickly, even if they dont already know.

Given what Christian Purslow said in the press conference about FFP and funds being available in January the key thing is to get to this point and still be in touch with the top and the pack.

We can then strengthen and if we do this i'm optimistic that we will be able to make a push for promotion.

What we cant afford to do is wait until the end of January to make the signings. Get the targets in place and get them signed early.  

We need a keeper, cb and lb. Three positions.

If we sell nyland (hopefully get close to what we paid) then let smith find these gems that he tends to find at cb and lb then we might be on with a shout for play offs 

The strength of our opposition is going to hurt us a lot.

Bruce wasted an open goal opening to the season. We've played all the bottom sides already and now have to implement a new style playing against the top sides.

Players' belief in trying something different is so important in a change like this so Deano really has his work cut out.

5 hours ago, John said:

That is us f***ed then.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

The strength of our opposition is going to hurt us a lot.

Bruce wasted an open goal opening to the season. We've played all the bottom sides already and now have to implement a new style playing against the top sides.

Players' belief in trying something different is so important in a change like this so Deano really has his work cut out.

Hes' going about things the right way though, he's not come in and tried to change everything overnight. 

I read about us not having the players to play a passing game above too. How does Clough do it wherever he goes? He's NEVER had a squad liek ours that's for sure. Look at what Smith himself was working with at Walsall. A good coach with enough time to get the right movements coordinated will have even limited players finding space automatically to give at least a couple of easy options for whoever's on the ball, at least till they get into the top third and they have to invent something to create a goal.

We just need patience and time. The owners have said they'll back him in Jan, Smith's said he's going to have a good look at the u23s, and week by week the basics of what Smith and O'Kelly have got going wherever they have been will start to become second nature to the players in the squad now. If we aren't massively out of touch by end of Jan then we shoudl be well placed to go on a good run and have a go at getting up this year....