18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

We were 10 points off the playoffs when RDM was sacked. Despite how terrible we've been this year we're still only 3 points off, which sums up the poor quality this season. 

It's far from a lost cause yet. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Farlz said:

We were 10 points off the playoffs when RDM was sacked. Despite how terrible we've been this year we're still only 3 points off, which sums up the poor quality this season. 

We've had a very easy start to the season when you look at standard of teams we've played so far. Look at our run from end of November to January. Not got anywhere enough points on the board.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Can anyone tell me how this season will differ from 16/17?

Back then we sacked our manager on the 3rd October, had an amazing attack for this level on paper but they underwhelmed most weeks and we had a lack of quality in midfield and at the back.

We were still in touch for the play offs for a bit but no one was convinced and think we ended up 15 or so points off 6th in the end.

Unless the new manager hits the ground running I think this season will repeat that.

I have complete faith Aston Villa will find new ways to fail this season. :)

More seriously yeah its going to take something special, an unproven manager doesnt inspire much confidence. The one thing the club CAN improve which is entirely within its control is having us play some entertaining and nice to look at football, that costs nothing but effort and a solid coaching staff. Smaller clubs than us play decent football, it is the minimum we as fans should expect going forward.  

• Like 1

On 07/10/2018 at 18:15, VillaChris said:

Back then we sacked our manager on the 3rd October, had an amazing attack for this level on paper but they underwhelmed most weeks and we had a lack of quality in midfield and at the back.

We were still in touch for the play offs for a bit but no one was convinced and think we ended up 15 or so points off 6th in the end.

Unless the new manager hits the ground running I think this season will repeat that.

We won't be employing Steve Bruce this time round.

On 07/10/2018 at 11:15, VillaChris said:

Expect the same.

I have more or less written off this season for promotion. The new manager will need to be a miracle worker to tighten up our defence, and with that defence conceding multiple goals per game against so called easier opposition I can’t see it. He can’t buy or loan anyone until January, by which time we will be too far back. Sadly Bruce has screwed our promotion chances this year!

There is a 5% part of my brain that still holds a little bit of hope, and is in denial. 

Depends who we get as manager.  If for arguments sake it's Henry and Terry and the players get behind their ideas and the fans get excited and believe then anything is possible.  Crap defence or not we do have the possibility of outscoring most opposition if coached properly.  

If the manager is someone we have no faith in its impossible.

It will be a snowball effect from one decision an impossible juggernaut to stop if we get it right.

On 07/10/2018 at 15:05, Farlz said:

The getting into the playoffs was not the target for Villa ever. Getting promotion is. Every season we have been in this division we should have been good enough to get into the top 2, each year we've failed. Most likely it will be the same this year but we shouldn't be happy with a playoff place. 

• Like 1

Fulham were in a similar position to us last season and they really kicked from xmas , promotion is still very achievable but we cannot have another spell like this , one win in 10 is truly shocking considering the opposition faced 

• Like 1

It’s going to be hard going. Some difficult teams yet to play, although we have played three of the current top seven so it’s not like we’ve solely played relegation fodder.

As it stands, no one appears to be running away with it which has to be a good thing for us. Hopefully try and get as close to the 40 point mark* as we can by the new year and then see how the land lies.

*A further 25 points from 13 games - possibly a bit ambitious, but not a ridiculous target I think (hope).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

It’s going to be hard going. Some difficult teams yet to play, although we have played three of the current top seven so it’s not like we’ve solely played relegation fodder.

As it stands, no one appears to be running away with it which has to be a good thing for us. Hopefully try and get as close to the 40 point mark* as we can by the new year and then see how the land lies.

*A further 25 points from 13 games - possibly a bit ambitious, but not a ridiculous target I think (hope).

I’d say West Brom seem to be above everybody in this league. Sheff U and Leeds could go either way but West Brom seem to be the hardest team to play against in this league.

10 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I’d say West Brom seem to be above everybody in this league. Sheff U and Leeds could go either way but West Brom seem to be the hardest team to play against in this league.

Yeah I’d probably agree, out of all the teams they’ll prove to be the one to beat. It’s probably too early to say, but I don’t think they’re quite on a par with the Geordies from two seasons ago or the dingles last season which gives me a little bit of hope.

• Like 1

On 09/10/2018 at 13:21, villa89 said:

The getting into the playoffs was not the target for Villa ever. Getting promotion is. Every season we have been in this division we should have been good enough to get into the top 2, each year we've failed. Most likely it will be the same this year but we shouldn't be happy with a playoff place. 

I think it’s a fair expectation given where we are now. I think expecting Top 2 is asking too much, I think accepting 7th or below is defeatist and unwarranted.

23 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I think it’s a fair expectation given where we are now. 

Not for me. There's still a long way to go and a January transfer window to come. Second is still a real possibility. 

• Like 2

West Brom have a top of the league attack but are bottom half defensively.

Not sure about WBA.

How would they cope if they lost Rodriguez, Gayle and Barnes for a spell, 5 games or so?

Thats what happened to us, Hernandez, Roofe and Bamford, there equivalent is Rodriguez,  Gayle and Barnes.