18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

14 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Slipping up now. I can only assume you want them to win so they have nothing to play for on the final day.

Well ye, in an ideal world, Leeds and Norwich win their next few games, and Sheff U lose theirs. So then we play both Leeds and Norwich with them hungover.

Far more desirable than having Norwich coming to VP needing a win to clinch the league.

To be fair, i havent seen any data to suggest that teams are poorer having just won the league. It just feels that way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I think an Alex Neil lead wba with the first leg at VP would be a tricky combo for us.

People go on about pullis, allardyce, even bruce as anti football ...neil seems to slip under the radar ...his preston side have timewasting down to a fine art.

Reported on Sky that he's just signed a 3 year contract extension...

...on the back of a 4 game losing streak which has effectively blown there chances of the play offs...

the form we are in we have to fear nobody. Quite the opposite, they will fear us. 

Edited by imavillan
tweet added

15 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

One noticeable, pleasing feature of this team is that players are stepping in when called on and performing at the required standard as if they were regular first-teamers. Jedinak and Kodjia on Wednesday, and then Jedinak and Davis and to a lesser extent Lansbury today, all coming in in circumstances that could have been difficult, but doing the required job without looking like a step down in standard. It suggests both a good spirit within the squad, and a very healthy competition for places where people know that they have to perform in their short windows in the first team. The best teams often have this dynamic. 

It’s almost as if having an identifiable, structured way of playing makes it easier for players to slot in !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony said:

If anyone fancies a good laugh today head over to the Bristol city fan forum. 4 or 5 threads going based on villa/ref. 

4/5 threads on the same topic? @limpid would have a heart attack 😋

Seriously though, some other fans forums are almost impossible to navigate. 

Back on topic. Me and my son are already talking about hotels in London, it's on. 

2 hours ago, turvontour said:

Well ye, in an ideal world, Leeds and Norwich win their next few games, and Sheff U lose theirs. So then we play both Leeds and Norwich with them hungover.

Far more desirable than having Norwich coming to VP needing a win to clinch the league.

To be fair, i havent seen any data to suggest that teams are poorer having just won the league. It just feels that way.

Wolves lost their last 2 after clinching title. 

15 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

How many points do we need to be mathematically safely in the playoffs as it stands? Can't get my head round it - is it eight points? Assuming every result goes 'against' us would that be enough for 6th?

Bristol could get a maximum of 80pts (affecting Derby total to max of 75) or

Derby could get 78pts meaning Bristol get 77pts

Draw means max of (BC) 78pts and (DC) 76pts.

But we only need to be ahead of one of them so the highest total (for 6th) is the middle scenario.

Middlesbrough can get 76pts.

So the worst case scenario is Derby on 78pts (winning every game),  Bristol on 77pts (winning every game bar DC), Boro 76pts (winning every game)

So, as it stands, we need eight points from remaining four games. Is my maths correct?! We'd be tied on points but goal difference is much healthier.

Would love to go into last two games needing nothing though!

Win the next 2 and I reckon we are home and dry.  Will probably need to get something out the last 2 games to have any chance of finishing 4th (again). 

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wolves lost their last 2 after clinching title. 

Ye we didnt turn up at Milwall last season once our league position was sorted.

Also remember a home game to Burnley about 5 years ago, again lost as we had already stayed up (i think)? Seem to remember not caring about the result.

8 hours ago, Tony said:

If anyone fancies a good laugh today head over to the Bristol city fan forum. 4 or 5 threads going based on villa/ref. Would seem the bitterness and petulance of their manager treacles down to a section of their supporters. 

They have a right to feel *slightly* aggrieved. The penalty decision was soft as a cloud. The offside goal however was... offside. So we really are just talking about the soft penalty decision. 

Meh. This kinda shit happens every week and yes games can hinge on it, but outside of the scrappy goal they really didn't touch a glove on us in the second half. Or at all after 15 minutes. They have been riding their luck since they won 7 in a row themselves, even then there were a lot of tight results. They're really not as good as they think they are and should probably be focusing in on that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

They have a right to feel *slightly* aggrieved. The penalty decision was soft as a cloud. The offside goal however was... offside. So we really are just talking about the soft penalty decision. 

Meh. This kinda shit happens every week and yes games can hinge on it, but outside of the scrappy goal they really didn't touch a glove on us in the second half. Or at all after 15 minutes. They have been riding their luck since they won 7 in a row themselves, even then there were a lot of tight results. They're really not as good as they think they are and should probably be focusing in on that. 

Some pundits have said the ref bottled it due to the crowd. Whilst I don’t like seeing games decided by crap refereeing I do think its natural for a ref to feel pressure from a very strong home crowd. That’s what home advantage is all about and why it’s important to fill Villa park for the last 3 games. The players respond and the ref feels the pressure. Villa park should be a fortress.

Plus as you say we should have won that game comfortably. Keeper had the games of his life! 

8 hours ago, terrytini said:

Games Against each other....

Team.           P.     W.      D.      L.      F.        A.       Pts.         Gd

Leeds.         11.   7.      2.        2.     19.    9.        23.         10

Villa.             11.   5.      3.       3.      24.    16.      18.          8

Sheff.           12.    5.      1.     6.        17.    17.      16.        0

Boro.            12.     4.      4.      4.      12.    13.      16.       -1

Bristol.         11.     4.      2.       5.      13.     17.     14.      - 3

WBA.            11.     4.      1.       6.       19.    22.     13.      -3

Derby.           10.     2.      3.       5.        11.   21.      9.       -10

We would have been bottom or near the bottom of that table last season. One of the reasons why I have more faith in a playoff run this season. 

• Like 4