18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

On 06/03/2019 at 22:57, VillaChris said:

We stil have a chance if you need 70-71 points to make 6th.

It's not beyond this squad's capabilities if we keep everyone fit to pick up another 20 points between now and Leeds away. We usually beat Norwich at home and they could well be up by then anyway.

If the par is still 74-75 points that is beyond us.

Not getting excited again until we take 4 points from our next two. Then we would have a proper chance.

70 or 71 is cutting it fine. I think we probably need to win 9 out of 11. Really do. Can't see it. If we don't take 6 points between tomorrow and midweek it's definetely over, we are too up and down to go on the run we'd need to go on.

There's a lot of talk of ya know, Bristol city got beaten, derby dropped points etc. End of the day, all that is secondary. We have 48 points  Its pitiful.. Need to look at ourselves. Nowhere near or deserving to be mentioned in talk of promotion.

Honestly looking at the fixture list, and although difficult, we really couldn't have asked for a better last 10 games. We face most of our most immediate rivals, and can drag Middlesborough back into it too. Then it's also padded out by matches against relegation fodder and potentially 2 on-the-beach teams in Leeds and Norwich. It's up to us really. If we take care of business, 6th (and potentially even 5th!) is up for grabs.

Preston and Brentford are doing huge work. I can’t even dismiss Sheff Wed. All of those and Hull were once battling to avoid relegation. Now all of them are battling for playoff spots. Actually Brentford could be potentially on 52 with their game in hand. 

Well, at least results went very well for us today with Bristol City losing and Derby only drawing, and both at home too. That keeps us with a slim chance still (which is better than no chance at all), at least for about another 13 hours, but hopefully longer!

6 minutes ago, robby b said:

Well, at least results went very well for us today with Bristol City losing and Derby only drawing, and both at home too. That keeps us with a slim chance still (which is better than no chance at all), at least for about another 13 hours, but hopefully longer!

Comes a point though were Villa need to start looking after themselves. We've to go on a crazy run starting tomorrow. 

• Like 1

The results certainly went our way, but that has happened before this season. We have failed to profit from other teams failings, too often due to turning in abject performances of our own that have left us feeling deflated.

We have to win at Small Heath Alliance to take us above them, to do the double over them and to ruin any promotion hopes they might be entertaining before a points deduction does. Any lingering promotion ambitions that some of us might still have, can be put on hold until we have won this game and then the next four or five. 🤞

• Like 2

7 hours ago, robby b said:

If small heath alliance ever get back into the Premier League, do you think they'll change their name to Big Heath Alliance? 🤔

They will never be a "big" club and will only leave the Championship by getting relegated from it , but I like your thinking. Come to think of it, they have been a big irritant to us, a big stain on the city and a big pile of something that comes out of a cow's behind for too long to mention! ;)

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Listened to West Brom on WM, no exaggeration to see Ipswich should've beaten them 4-1. This is a team in 4th. Boro lost at home to Brentford. This is a team in 5th. Derby have won once in about 10 games. This is the team in 6th.

This is easily the weakest standard of top teams since we've been down here. Last season you had Fulham in amazing form and we weren't too bad ourselves given we nearly got 90 points. Way off that standard this season generally and we have missed a trick unless we go on a big winning run from now on.

I agree, the standard is terrible, and I think the points total for the playoffs will potentially be the lowest its been in a long time to get into. Whether we can win enough games to sneak in I doubt it. I think Forest will be the team who ultimately does that, or maybe Preston will sneak in.

Although yeah it would not be surprising to see one of West Brom or Boro slip out in the last few games. 

11 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Comes a point though were Villa need to start looking after themselves. We've to go on a crazy run starting tomorrow. 

Well we won last week, so in theory the run would’ve started then 😋

edit it looks like I was beaten to it, that’ll teach me for not reason a whole thread

Edited by mikeyp102

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Lost two, then drew one and they sacked him... really hope the wheels come off for the Tesco bags. 

Are West Brom's shirts made from actual Tesco bags?

• Haha 1