18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm guessing you don't spend enough time on here to know which posters to avoid arguing with. lol

I guess not but it’s incredible the expectations of the oh so  many big clubs fans in this division.You can’t all go up in one season best to get a manager and stick with him and wait your turn.I hear Fat Frank is getting the treatment after yesterday’s demolition.

• Like 3

If's and But's

Granted this is biased guesswork but it just show's how quickly the Championship can change.

Sheff Wed's lose midweek

Derby lose midweek

Forest and Hull draw on Saturday

Derby and Sheff Wed's draw on Saturday

Leeds beat Bristol on Saturday

We beat Blues

Suddenly the league looks like this and we suddenly look to be in a very promising position.

6 - Bristol - 54 points

7 - Derby - 52 points

8 - Villa - 51 points

9 - Forest - 51 points

10 - Hull - 51 points

11 - Blues - 50 points

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wigan was 3. City would be around 6. F**k that off.

well city beat chelsea by 6 so puts us on par with them then?

they also easily beat arsenal last month

and bournemouth didnt have a sniff on saturday

nor did everton...or liverpool....etc etc

so yeah, i'm sure all these clubs are thinking "god, wouldnt it be nice if we were in the championship and didnt have to face the dreaded citeh twice a season"........what bizarre mentality

After the Derby game Aston Villa have 48 points out of a possible 105. The final projected points total will currently be 63 points that is points after 46 games. Basing this off last seasons final table will put us 12th.

There is still 33 points to play for giving us a maximum potential points haul of 81 points.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the appointment of Dean Smith the new projected points total would be 64 points that is points after 46 games. That has included of 1.25 PPG from Steve Bruce and the current 1.43PPG from Smith. Using 1.43PPG over the remaining 11 games.

Basing this off last seasons final table will put us 12th

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

well city beat chelsea by 6 so puts us on par with them then?

they also easily beat arsenal last month

and bournemouth didnt have a sniff on saturday

nor did everton...or liverpool....etc etc

so yeah, i'm sure all these clubs are thinking "god, wouldnt it be nice if we were in the championship and didnt have to face the dreaded citeh twice a season"........what bizarre mentality

Talk about take a post out of context.  It was a response to a post about rather being smashed by Man City than Wigan.

I would like us to be promoted this season but if it doesn’t happen it’s not the end of the world for me. I like watching Villa win games. I don’t really want a repeat of the relegation year. 

Im at peace whilst we’re in this league. I’m sorry if that’s bizarre to you. 

1 hour ago, Merson08 said:

After the Derby game Aston Villa have 48 points out of a possible 105. The final projected points total will currently be 63 points that is points after 46 games. Basing this off last seasons final table will put us 12th.

There is still 33 points to play for giving us a maximum potential points haul of 81 points.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the appointment of Dean Smith the new projected points total would be 64 points that is points after 46 games. That has included of 1.25 PPG from Steve Bruce and the current 1.43PPG from Smith. Using 1.43PPG over the remaining 11 games.

If you look at likely winners of the league Norwich or Leeds they will struggle to get to 90 points (last season Wolves got 98 I think) so generally I think points total for the whole of top 6 will be respectively lower this season.

Normally for 6th you need 73-75 points. To have a real chance of 6th we need it this year to be 70-71 points.

I don't think it's impossible by the end of the Leeds game we could've collected another 20 points and then it's the usual last day of beating Norwich and then hoping a few results go our way.

Still a long shot but things will be looking more possible if we get 4 points from next two games.

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Talk about take a post out of context.  It was a response to a post about rather being smashed by Man City than Wigan.

I would like us to be promoted this season but if it doesn’t happen it’s not the end of the world for me. I like watching Villa win games. I don’t really want a repeat of the relegation year. 

Im at peace whilst we’re in this league. I’m sorry if that’s bizarre to you. 

fair enough. i will disagree in that i am getting less and less comfortable in this league every season that passes. we've seen us win some games and ticked some grounds off our personal lists...in many ways, yes, it's been jolly good fun. huddersfield, fulham and cardiff have been wank this season and will deservedly be relegated...they will do so however with £100m in their pockets plus nice sized parachute payments to look forward to. that's what we'll have to compete will next season, plus teams like baggies, sheff utd, bristol city, boro etc who have been all up there for a few seasons now and is only a matter of time before it clicks (see. Leeds). there's only so long that we're going to be seen as a really attractive prospect. there will come a time where players stop choosing to sign for us as we fit the "used to be famous" category that many other clubs in this league are part of

no one wants a repeat of that relegation year, but it was a long time coming. our best players had been sold and not replaced and the only ones left cared more about tweeting photos of their latest £100,000 motor, stuffing their faces with KFC, or dreaming about champions league football. it wasn't a result of being promoted when not ready. with the new guys in charge i'm much more confident.

and if we go down again, so be it...at least our FFP troubles will be sorted and we are in a better position to rebuild.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wilko154 said:

If's and But's

Granted this is biased guesswork but it just show's how quickly the Championship can change.

Sheff Wed's lose midweek

Derby lose midweek

We beat Blues

Suddenly the league looks like this and we suddenly look to be in a very promising position.

6 - Bristol - 54 points

7 - Derby - 52 points

8 - Villa - 51 points

9 - Forest - 51 points

10 - Hull - 51 points

11 - Blues - 50 points

So far Wednesdays game against Sheff U was a draw instead of a loss from the games on that list, better than them winning of course. Gosh did they look so much like us from last season, Bruceball at it's finest, just blocking all the holes and relying on one or two moments from the striker to try and win which never came. They won't lose many games though having watched that and will no doubt have their share of 1-0 & 2-1 wins amidst the draws.

• Like 1

If's and But's (updated)

Sheff Wed's lose midweek - draw, Wednesday still only on 48 points ✅

Derby lose midweek

We beat Blues

6 - Bristol - 54 points

7 - Derby - 52 points

8 - Villa - 51 points

9 - Forest - 51 points

10 - Hull - 51 points

11 - Blues - 50 points

This has always been about us and whether we've got our selves in order. If we can roll out the same levels of performance as just witnessed then we have every chance regardless of other clubs. 

• Like 2

On 04/03/2019 at 09:54, Merson08 said:

That's exactly where I would have us. Another rpoor under performing season. 

8 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

So far Wednesdays game against Sheff U was a draw instead of a loss from the games on that list, better than them winning of course. Gosh did they look so much like us from last season, Bruceball at it's finest, just blocking all the holes and relying on one or two moments from the striker to try and win which never came. They won't lose many games though having watched that and will no doubt have their share of 1-0 & 2-1 wins amidst the draws.

Since Bruce took the helm at Sheff W his record has been played 7 won 3 drawn 4 lost 0 scored 8 conceded 3, points 13.

In the same period Smith has achieved p6 w1 d3 l2 f10-6a pts6.

Maybe puts all this talk of “Bruceball” and how much better off we are now into some perspective?

8 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Since Bruce took the helm at Sheff W his record has been played 7 won 3 drawn 4 lost 0 scored 8 conceded 3, points 13.

Maybe puts all this talk of “Bruceball” and how much better off we are now into some perspective?

Oh we are much better off long term. 

6 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

But if you put the 'manager bounce' into perspective.

Since Bruce took the helm at Sheff W - Played 7 - Won 3 - Drew 3 - Lost 0 - Scored 8 - Conceded 3 - Points 13

When Smith took the helm at Villa - Played 7 - Won 4 - Drew 2 - Lost 1 - Scored 19 - Conceded 10 - Points 14

Smith wins

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Do you really miss parking the bus and winning by the odd goal on the break?  I admit it nearly got us promoted. But it never felt convincing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I watched Sheffield Wednesday last night and all I can say is I’m glad we have tried something different !

It was a really poor watch. I dont care if it got limited results I would rather try win and be entertained at same time

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Oh he'll always get a level of results i'm sure, and yes as stated above comparing an initial new manager bounce with a run of results of a manager with all his key players out injured and a revolving defence is maybe not the fairest comparison but crikey football is an entertainment business too and taking nothing away from SB i was bored stiff watching our games under his stuardship. Fair play to him though, any manager who can make a game against Sheff U dull & boring deserves some kind of plaudits.

Another comparison:

SB Style - Sheff Weds 0 - 0 Sheff Utd (Already forgotten anything which happened, Yawn)

DS Style - Villa 3 - 3 Sheff Utd (Memorable game i will remember for ages)

Both gleaned 1 point, I feel this perfectly makes the point.

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 1