18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

2 hours ago, Merson08 said:

Well here is the table for the beginning of February last season.

1 Wolves 30 11 2 2 31 12 10 3 2 23 10 +32 68
2 Derby 30 9 3 3 25 9 7 6 2 22 14 +24 57
3 Aston Villa 30 9 5 1 28 13 7 3 5 18 14 +19 56
4 Cardiff 29 9 3 2 26 10 7 3 5 18 16 +18 54

This is Villa atm. Played 29, GD +7, Points 42.

10   Aston Villa 29 7 42

We will need a bit of form anyway. But when you look at it there is a big difference between Wolves and Leeds who are supposed to be the best this season.

Derby who were second barely got to the playoffs.

What I’m trying to say is that all teams are dropping points this season. More than last season.

Saying that its still going to be a hard season. 

Can't see it happening this season now that we failed to address the full back situation.

We will remain too easy to score and create chances against and every team will just target Hutton, Elmo or Taylor and that'll be it.

Whilst like many, I have concerns about our full backs I'm hopeful our transfer business has strengthened us down the spine to better deal with the shortcomings of Hutton, Elmo and Taylor. I'd guess Carroll has been bought to fill the DM gap and whilst not a tackler I'm expecting our passing and ball retention to improve with him in the side; more possession equals less tackling I guess.

Hopefully the new recruits will help bring a little more balance to the team and in turn consistency. It's going to be an interesting second half to the season and fingers crossed we can do enough to grab a playoff spot.

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 12:34, abdulaziz1 said:

We will need a bit of form anyway. But when you look at it there is a big difference between Wolves and Leeds who are supposed to be the best this season.

Derby who were second barely got to the playoffs.

What I’m trying to say is that all teams are dropping points this season. More than last season.

Saying that its still going to be a hard season. 

Agree.

Lets say in ten games time we could have gained 6 points on the top two.....never mind the top 6!

We would be 6 points of automatic with 7 games to go....that's  really not to much of a leap for the imagination is it?

What I find hard is how easily people want to give up hope. Why does it happen?

As football fans we cant influence anything so how much fun can you have without hope?

23 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Agree.

Lets say in ten games time we could have gained 6 points on the top two.....never mind the top 6!

We would be 6 points of automatic with 7 games to go....that's  really not to much of a leap for the imagination is it?

As football fans we cant influence anything so how much fun can you have without hope?

Once again wild estimations gaining 6 points on the top 2 what kind of nonsense is that?

It's not giving up hope its being realistic and not looking at everything with rose tinted glasses. 

Have you seen us play recently ? Awful performances since Christmas - we scrapped passed the team rooted to the bottom of the league. 

We have signed no FB's which is quite clearly our weakest position on the pitch. 

Don't worry though we will easily catch Leeds when they loose the next 10 games, absolute drivel. 

Edited by LondonVillian
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Once again wild estimations gaining 6 points on the top 2 what kind of nonsense is that?

It's not giving up hope its being realistic and not looking at everything with rose tinted glasses. 

Have you seen us play recently ? Awful performances since Christmas - we scrapped passed the team rooted to the bottom of the league. 

We have signed no FB's which is quite clearly our weakest position on the pitch. 

Don't worry though we will easily catch Leeds when they loose the next 10 games, absolute drivel. 

So you're saying we have a chance?  :flag:

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

Agree.

The danger though Mark, is teams above us also winning - we would equally all need them to drop points which I cannot see happening (4 of those have a game in hand on us).

I am not saying it cannot be done, it would be good but it's a mighty ask at this moment in time.

3 hours ago, LondonVillian said:

The question I’m trying to ask is why be so down in your own team?

How do you enjoy the game when you have no hope before the start?

As Villa fans we recently supported a side that was beaten before it started (2015) it was horrible....now we are in a lower division agreed but this team is far from hopeless.

Despite your arguments to the contrary we have a very good chance of promotion along with around 10 other teams...some of whom have a better chance than us and some of whom don’t but there are 17 games left...so the facts are not decided!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

Agree.

I guess its something in the middle. Its always good to have some hope. But at the same time know how hard it is.

There is still a good chance for promotion if we can have a good form till the end of the season. Which we’re far away from. If we can get our form against Derby, Boro, Forest and West Brom then we would definitely have a chance.

If we can win tomorrow, it would give us a good boost till the end of the season hopefully.

9 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Some interesting fixtures,

Bristol vs Swansea

West Brom vs Boro

Leeds vs Norwich

sha vs Nottingham

A win is really important at Reading. Hopefully we could make it.

Some interesting fixtures like you say, the outcomes of which will be very interesting if we pick up three points tomorrow.

Although I think Leeds v Norwich is really only of academic interest to us. I suppose if we sneak into sixth, one of them might end up in third place.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

3 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Some interesting fixtures like you say, the outcomes of which will be very interesting if we pick up three points tomorrow.

Although I think Leeds v Norwich is really only of academic interest to us. I suppose if we sneak into sixth, one of them might end up in third place.

If there were no West Brom, I would have said if they lose tomorrow then there is a chance of top 2. Only West Brom who I’d think will be tough to stop (Leeds as well). Thats not saying they won’t lose, its just it will be hard to compete them.

Anyway lets take it one by one, lets just win tomorrow and see how far are we from all teams above us. Then start thinking about Sheff Utd.

I think that if our current full backs are used as more wing backs (which they're more suited), they might not look as exposed and actually pose more of a threat than they do stuck as full backs (obviously not suiting).

A 5-3-2 attacking style with the 2 wing backs covering defence and midfield whilst also being able to bomb forward offering a slight attacking threat out wide.

A centre back trio of Elphick/Chester/Mings and a midfield 3 of Hourihane/McGinn/Carroll

Leaving Grealish to play his roaming role in behind lone striker Tammy.

I remember during the Brian Little era we deployed a similar style and formation.

The good thing is that during the window we signed a few players that not only gives us depth as a team but also allows us to try out other formations and ideas too.

Either way and whatever formations we go with, I feel.there is still hope yet of a play off place for us this season.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

just considering what our team might look like with a fully fit and up to speed team?

Kalinic

Hutton - Chester - Hause - Mings

Grealish - Carroll - McGinn

El Ghazi - Abraham - Green

Obviously i dont 100% expect Hause to be in the first 11, im just kinda hopeful our loan to buy signings will actually prove to be good enough??

Also i think the Green slot is debatable?, could be Green, Kodjia or Adomah?, i also wonder if Davis would be capable of playing in that role, he is pretty strong/quick and tricky from the times i have seen him play.

Next Season????? (assuming all loan signings work out and we buy them, and grealish stays?)

Kalinic

Gilbert - Chester - Hause - Mings

Grealish - XXX - McGinn

XXX - Davis - XXX

So basically a ball playing DM needed (or Carroll if he does well), and some wide players (O'Hare/Green/homegrown pushing for one of those slots maybe?)

Hopefully some U23s currently on loan will prove their worth and push for a 1st team spot or at least a cameo spot on the bench.

I added Davis there as personally i really rate him, but who knows.

Edited by MaVilla