18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

35 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I mentioned on Facebook that in some strange way I actually think yesterday could very well be a turning point in our season.

While the result was disappointing in the end we started to show shunts of the things we were doing when he first came in.

Belief to come back and some decent passages of play.

I think Kalinic will grow in confidence, Hause will get ready and Dean will eventually get it right.

We need to remember it is a work in progress and so many variables and unexpected spanners have been thrown into the works he has had to do alot of thinking.

Still not sure if we will make top 6 though.

20 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Second half was a lot more like his early games. We kept the pressure on and kept getting balls in to the box quickly. Play like the second half on Saturday and we should win comfortably.

I said this to my mates as well, that goal from Chester seemed to change everything, we actually were much the better team from that point onwards and it was night and day compared to what we've seen the last month or so. It's possible that we were knackered from the Christmas games and a couple of late goals knocked their confidence. 

If we get back to playing like we did when Smith first arrived he'll get a lot more leeway (from the fans at least) even if results aren't quite there yet, because we'll at least be able to see what we're building towards 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hornso said:

Not holding out much hope, but if we are to have any shot at making the playoffs 6 points from the next two fixtures against Ipswich and Reading is a must. C'mon lads.

I've just come on here to write the exact same thing.

6 points are an absolute must, with a few results going our way we could be back to a 4-5 point gap to the playoff places. Combine this with Grealish returning and a few late January transfers and it gives us a real chance.

12 hours ago, Hornso said:

Not holding out much hope, but if we are to have any shot at making the playoffs 6 points from the next two fixtures against Ipswich and Reading is a must. C'mon lads.

I'm never confident anymore when Hutton and Taylor plays.

Right now we basically have to score 2 goals just to draw, but we will see.

I saw highlights from the Milwall v Blackburn game and their defense look horrendous.

• Like 1

is this a wind up? promotion.. ffs

THE LONG & SHORT IS EVERY PLAYER SIGN BECOMES A "ASTON VILLA PLAYER" OVER NIGHT..

what does that mean " a aston villa player"? a player who can give 60% of his full potential & get away with it! 

"why is tammy doing it?" ..hes a chelsea player, he knows hes onto bigger things.

THATS THE PROBLEM THE CURRENT MANAGER FACES WITH OVERPAID PLAYERS

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

The problem is we have two halves of a team, and both are lacking a critical ingredient!

In defence we have an ageing, old school back four. They have bags of desire but very little talent. They'll throw their bodies in the way of a ball but rarely be able to keep up with play and will misplace pass after pass. They are ten years from their best and the football they play is ten years out of date. This is why I feel Tuanzebe is possibly a bigger loss than Grealish as he adds defensively and in an attacking sense, splitting the opposition's midfield.

Then in attack we have a youthful and/or flamboyant attack with absolutely no passion or effort. They play the game in an exciting way and have bags of skill but won't track back and don't really care - more likely to laugh at losing the ball trying an overhead kick from the half way line. It's all just a bit of fun and a kick about.

In midfield we have two players who play modern football and show effort. Grealish is new to the whole effort thing, but McGinn embodies everything a player for Aston Villa should be - energetic, some skill and he cares. When Grealish plays it also allows Hourihane to perform in his best role - a player who gets far too much stick on here but is undoubtedly better when he's not the focus. It'd be a bit like asking Ian Taylor to be Merson, it's an underappreciated role that is only admired when the attacking players are doing their job. Fully fit, our midfield is fine, when we had JMcG, JG and CH we were doing well.

So Smith's job is to mitigate the effects of an ageing defence and train/discipline the attackers. It's clearly a diificult task but after the initial bounce he seems to be struggling to get that balance, obviously not helped by two significant injuries in Tuanzebe and Grealish. But our wingers' effort and application has been unacceptable and that has to be on the management. Bolasie should be sent packing immediately.

I can't see us making the playoffs unless our injuries clear up quickly and we get a little more passion in the team.

I'm taking credit for this! Right I have something to say about Richards..... And Taylor...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

The problem is we have two halves of a team, and both are lacking a critical ingredient!

In defence we have an ageing, old school back four. They have bags of desire but very little talent. They'll throw their bodies in the way of a ball but rarely be able to keep up with play and will misplace pass after pass. They are ten years from their best and the football they play is ten years out of date. This is why I feel Tuanzebe is possibly a bigger loss than Grealish as he adds defensively and in an attacking sense, splitting the opposition's midfield.

Then in attack we have a youthful and/or flamboyant attack with absolutely no passion or effort. They play the game in an exciting way and have bags of skill but won't track back and don't really care - more likely to laugh at losing the ball trying an overhead kick from the half way line. It's all just a bit of fun and a kick about.

In midfield we have two players who play modern football and show effort. Grealish is new to the whole effort thing, but McGinn embodies everything a player for Aston Villa should be - energetic, some skill and he cares. When Grealish plays it also allows Hourihane to perform in his best role - a player who gets far too much stick on here but is undoubtedly better when he's not the focus. It'd be a bit like asking Ian Taylor to be Merson, it's an underappreciated role that is only admired when the attacking players are doing their job. Fully fit, our midfield is fine, when we had JMcG, JG and CH we were doing well.

So Smith's job is to mitigate the effects of an ageing defence and train/discipline the attackers. It's clearly a diificult task but after the initial bounce he seems to be struggling to get that balance, obviously not helped by two significant injuries in Tuanzebe and Grealish. But our wingers' effort and application has been unacceptable and that has to be on the management. Bolasie should be sent packing immediately.

I can't see us making the playoffs unless our injuries clear up quickly and we get a little more passion in the team.

This a very good summary of the situation right now!

Geting promoted to Premier League ... and ... staying there

Look at Fulham last year, they put in a good run at the end and got promoted, spent the premiership millions bonanza on new players that never gelled and now almost certain to come down again (I think if we had gone up instead of them we would be in the same perilous position)

Look at Wolves last year, consistency throughout the season, they go up, deservedly so - sorry to say that (- hurt me to type those letters in that order!), very similar squad this season and they are doing ok.

So comparing these two clubs, what is needed not only for promotion but to stay in the Premiership, is the Wolves model, players that win you games (obviously) but being consistant throughout the whole season - not just having a good/lucky run at the end and sneeking into the big boys league....it doesnt prepare you for life in the Premiership.....

We should act on our club motto "Prepared"......!

Regards to all

• Like 1

After the Hull game Aston Villa have 39 points out of a possible 84. The final projected points total will currently be 64 points that is points after 46 games. Basing this off last seasons final table will put us 12th.

There is still 54 points to play for giving us a maximum potential points haul of 93 points.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the appointment of Dean Smith the new projected points total would be 66 points that is points after 46 games. That has included (Before Smith) of 1.25 PPG from Steve Bruce and the current 1.5PPG from Smith. Using 1.5PPG over the remaining 18 games.

Basing this off last seasons final table will put us 12th

Thought for the day: The last player we made a profit on selling was Christian Benteke on 22nd July 2015.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

On 22/01/2019 at 13:27, delboy54 said:

Geting promoted to Premier League ... and ... staying there

Look at Fulham last year, they put in a good run at the end and got promoted, spent the premiership millions bonanza on new players that never gelled and now almost certain to come down again (I think if we had gone up instead of them we would be in the same perilous position)

Look at Wolves last year, consistency throughout the season, they go up, deservedly so - sorry to say that (- hurt me to type those letters in that order!), very similar squad this season and they are doing ok.

So comparing these two clubs, what is needed not only for promotion but to stay in the Premiership, is the Wolves model, players that win you games (obviously) but being consistant throughout the whole season - not just having a good/lucky run at the end and sneeking into the big boys league....it doesnt prepare you for life in the Premiership.....

We should act on our club motto "Prepared"......!

Regards to all

They say to build a progressive team, you start at the back.......

How long has it been an issue of some sort?

......I'll get my coat.

ps Change "prepared" to "preposterous"

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I'm an external optimist when it comes to the Villa. It's still on until it's mathematically impossible. And for what it's worth I still don't believe we are a million miles away. 

49 minutes ago, av1 said:

I'm an external optimist when it comes to the Villa. It's still on until it's mathematically impossible. And for what it's worth I still don't believe we are a million miles away. 

just 99,999,999 miles away.

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Preston QPR Wigan. Should have been 9 points, instead was 2. All three teams went on to lose their next league game. 

Teams will give their all against us. Match their desire and effort and we’ll beat them.

Blues and Forest , could so easily have gone against us.....We need to watch whats happening on the pitch, not the net bulging....We were 2-0 up against Leeds but they had all the initiative....we just scored 2 goals.

coming from behind is very noble....but the going behind in the first place is very ignoble.

• Like 2